An Old School Catholic Message Board

Death Is Judgment

kafka

Death is Judgment. there is no sugar coating it. there is no romanticizing it. When we die we are judged by God. Death does not release our suffering. For the damned suffering truly begins when they die. That is why war is hell. That is why war is a punishment for sin. Young men get mowed down in untimely death, maybe before they are ready. Yet all is possible with God.

Death is Judgment.

Ya and thank God that our creator is merciful and is all love.
Thank God that he died on the cross so we could be loved by him and never forsaken and grow in friendshp with him.
War smells of elderberries.

and thank God that we, as long as life is with us, we can still change. And the Son of God united Himself to human nature. He wed Time with Eternity, and each and every moment He is there for us.

I agree.
Wow, that rarely happens with me on a debate.

I love my Lord Jesus. He will save me from the burning fires of hell.

I worship him. I give him thanks.

lalalalallalallala I went to noon mass. I was with my Jesus. laalallalalalallalal

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1505652' date='Apr 21 2008, 02:00 PM']Wait a minute, what are we debating here?[/quote]

Just a moment, I could probably find something.

[quote name='kafka' post='1505639' date='Apr 21 2008, 01:46 PM']Death is Judgment. there is no sugar coating it. there is no romanticizing it. When we die we are judged by God. Death does not release our suffering. For the damned suffering truly begins when they die. That is why war is hell. That is why war is a punishment for sin. Young men get mowed down in untimely death, maybe before they are ready. Yet all is possible with God.

Death is Judgment.[/quote]

Why would God wait until death to judge us for things we did on earth in a past existence? Why would God want to judge our physical existences at all? What's in it for God?

Edited by carrdero

[quote name='carrdero' post='1506494' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:53 AM']Just a moment, I could probably find something.
Why would God wait until death to judge us for things we did on earth in a past existence? Why would God want to judge our physical existences at all? What's in it for God?[/quote]

The soul is what is judged, and the soul does not die. The body and soul are separate, yet united; thus God is not judging a past existence, but a present existence. He is judging our present soul.

What's in it for God is the wrong question. God is not utilitarian; He does not make decisions based on what would be 'best' for Him. He is love, and love requires justice. It is his nature, and it is right and just, for Him to judge.

[quote]rkwright writes: The soul is what is judged, and the soul does not die. The body and soul are separate, yet united; thus God is not judging a past existence, but a present existence. He is judging our present soul.[/quote]
In Biblical times (specifically the OT) God is judging and punishing in “real time”, that is, God is judging in their present. Doesn’t it seem more practical and efficient to mete out justice when the perpetrator actually commits an offense? If you witnessed a driver hit a person and then speed away, what would you do? Would you call the authorities or would you say “Oh well, God will sort it out”? What would be the purpose of our individualistic physical existences if our rewards and punishments are not received until after we die? Couldn’t we just skip the step of enacting a physical existence?

[quote]rkwright writes: He is love, and love requires justice.[/quote]

Can you provide an example of this? Isn’t justice a condition for a God that is supposed to express love unconditionally? And how can this offering of love and justice refrain from becoming blurred with vengeance?

[quote]rkwright writes: What's in it for God is the wrong question. God is not utilitarian; He does not make decisions based on what would be 'best' for Him.[/quote]
If God is described as being capable of becoming angered or offended for when humans sin (a God-quality that I am sure hasn’t changed recently) than one can assume that God will not be slighted or made a fool of. I do not think this “justice” is Nature based (for example, a heated day will eventually produce rain) but that an offense against this God that you describe is personal (for example, executing plagues where recently there was no plagues, killing first born sons where there was once no selective epidemic or frogs raining from heaven when frogs normally aren’t known to precipitate for that region) and that the judgment and sentencing will also be personal. Also I must remind you that the victims of murder do not get the justice to continue their physical existences after they are murdered so I can only conclude that this justice is not for the individuals who are on the end of someone's wrong-doing. So again, I must ask, what's in it for God.

Edited by carrdero