An Old School Catholic Message Board

Justification

dairygirl4u2c

Archaeology cat

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1514600' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:23 AM']It is in revelations, however, it is near the end of the books. If it is at the end of the books, don't you think God would meant the entire book.

As a side note, he also said at the end of the first five books, that we are not too add or take away from the law. So, if God has said it twice, and there is probably a third, I would say God says, do add or take away from anything in the Bible.[/quote]
Actually, it's Deuteronomy 4:2 that you're referring to, so not quite at the very end of the Pentateuch. Anyway, in context God is telling the people to listen to the Law given to Moses, to the statutes and observances of the feasts, and not to add or take away from those commands. This does not apply to the Bible as a whole (how could it, when the rest had yet to be written? The other books were clearly an addition to the Torah). I would say this would be more of a judgment against those who added regulations to the Law, as Jesus spoke of in the NT.

Revelation 22:18 states that one should not add to the words of prophecy of this book, indicating the book of Revelation only. There is no indication that this line is to refer to Scripture as a whole, which would be somewhat odd since the canon had not been set at that point.

But this is off-topic. If you want to discuss the canon more, feel free to start a thread, but I'll leave this one to justification from here out. :)

God bless.

dairygirl4u2c

if revalations doesn't say the bible is impeccable...
which it might not even if it said don't add or subtract...

then i don't know where the bible says that it is without error.

all i know is that it says it's "profitable".

i know christian would often like to jump on me for thinking it might have errors, but if a christian can not not take a stand on communion, i don't see why i can not take a stand on this.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1514870' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:39 AM']I'm curious as to what passage in the Bible says that one out of two is a filthy liar, or damned to hell, or if you are just pulling that out of your ass. :)[/quote]

[quote]And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

27They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

28Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

29But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

30Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

31In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.

32Remember Lot's wife.

33Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

34I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

35Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

37And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.[/quote]

One and two will be taken in judgment. And since this all about living in the negative, I don't believe this has anything to do with the Pre-trib nonsense that a lot of protestants believe in.

[quote]32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.[/quote]

Again, to the left and to the right, sounds pretty 50-50 to me. Half of them are headed straight for hell. They go to everlasting punishment. Some used this as a proof of Purgatory. If Purgatory is not forever, the Goats is a horrible example of this, as they're punishment is everlasting!

I don't pull any of the 1 in 2 things out of my butt, sorry dude. It is completely scriptural. One out of two people here don't want you to really know what they do behind closed doors, because if you knew, they would panic. Luckily, God has already decided what's going to happen to them.

They will be where the eagles gather. They're going to be feasted upon by the animal kingdom.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1515042' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:33 AM']Actually, it's Deuteronomy 4:2 that you're referring to, so not quite at the very end of the Pentateuch. Anyway, in context God is telling the people to listen to the Law given to Moses, to the statutes and observances of the feasts, and not to add or take away from those commands. This does not apply to the Bible as a whole (how could it, when the rest had yet to be written? The other books were clearly an addition to the Torah). I would say this would be more of a judgment against those who added regulations to the Law, as Jesus spoke of in the NT.

Revelation 22:18 states that one should not add to the words of prophecy of this book, indicating the book of Revelation only. There is no indication that this line is to refer to Scripture as a whole, which would be somewhat odd since the canon had not been set at that point.

But this is off-topic. If you want to discuss the canon more, feel free to start a thread, but I'll leave this one to justification from here out. :)

God bless.[/quote]

LOL!

I'd hate (don't hate, appreciate) to say this, God doesn't think in the Temporal. He exists in eternity. Past, Present, and Future are the same to him.

If he was saying about not going to the left or right of the law and the observences, he could have also meant about the entire scripture. There were plenty of scriptures that were both about David that came true about Christ? Why can't God mean both?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516906' date='May 3 2008, 01:03 AM']LOL!

I'd hate (don't hate, appreciate) (don't hate (don't hate, appreciate), appreciate) to say this, God doesn't think in the Temporal. He exists in eternity. Past, Present, and Future are the same to him.

If he was saying about not going to the left or right of the law and the observences, he could have also meant about the entire scripture. There were plenty of scriptures that were both about David that came true about Christ? Why can't God mean both?[/quote]
I'm perfectly aware that God is beyond time. However, one must look at the context of these passages. In context, these verses are speaking of first the Mosaic law (not all of the OT, which had yet to be written), and then to that specific vision of John (Revelation). I agree that many prophecies have more than one fulfillment (an immediate one and a future one, as with many passages about David & Christ), but the context is the key.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516905' date='May 2 2008, 09:00 PM']Again, to the left and to the right, sounds pretty 50-50 to me. Half of them are headed straight for hell.[/quote]

How do you come to the conclusion that just because there are sheep and goats that 50% of Christians must be going to hell? All we know from that passage is that there is more than one goat.

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516905' date='May 2 2008, 09:00 PM']I don't pull any of the 1 in 2 things out of my butt, sorry dude. It is completely scriptural.[/quote]

Yeah, blame it on Scripture. Don't you know that all Christians believe their faith is "completely Scriptural?" :)

the 13th papist

i dont think the one in two thing should be taken literally, plus, who cares. im not so worried about other people as i am myself. also, there are multiple senses of scripture, read Dei Verbum, both the literal (not literalistic, and it must always be in the context) and the spiritual.