An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bob Casey Betrays Pro-lifes In Pa

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1515547' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:38 PM']I keep trying to make the point that choosing a presidential candidate based solely on a single issue he/she has virtually no chance of changing doesn't make sense to me. I keep getting stomped on for suggesting that we look at all the issues. I've got my head down again, so let the stomping begin.[/quote]
Well I do think that's a valid point. I just think that it's pretty true about basically every other issue there is.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='XIX' post='1515565' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:06 PM']Well I do think that's a valid point. I just think that it's pretty true about basically every other issue there is.[/quote]
You can look at all the issues, but as a Catholic I cannot vote for a pro-abortion candidate, no matter how good he is in other areas. Anyone who supports the slicing and dicing of babies is not even on my list.

[quote name='zwergel88' post='1515530' date='Apr 30 2008, 08:23 PM']FYI just because Casey is backing Obama doesn't make him not pro-life. I consider myself pro-life, but I am voting for Obama. Why is it so hard for you guys to acknowledge that Casey is pro-life? You can't expect Casey to look at one issue when making his choice of who to support. I think both Bob Casey and I are probably of the same opinion, that outlawing abortion would be great, but electing John McCain is not going to make that happen. Really, did you expect him to back the Republican nominee?

The fact is that voting a certain way just because of the candidates stance on abortion doesn't make that much sense. Did having Bush as president make abortion illegal, or significantly change public opinion on the issue? No! (you could of course argue that more people are dead as a result of war) It is the legislative and judicial branches that make these decisions, and the president has little influence over either of them. Even the appointment of supreme court justices are hit or miss. Richard Nixon was a pro-life Republican, but it was him who appointed Justice Harry A. Blackmun, who wrote the majority decision in Roe V. Wade. Similarly, while Bush nominees did put a stop to late-term partial-birth abortion (which accounts for less that 1% of abortions performed) they have proved extremely reluctant to hear any cases related to abortion law, and most consider Roe v. Wade to be established precedent. So my point is that Bush was not much help to the pro-life movement. Also, considering that he just packed the court with his nominees, there is a strong possibility that the next president will not make any appointments, thus it doesn't really matter where they stand because they will likely not have any influence at all.

Stop picking on Casey, he's awesome![/quote]
Roe v. Wade will need to be challenged by one or more of the states before it will be overturned. That will simply not happen if we keep electing pro-abort, pro-infanticide Dems like Obama to office.

And lets not forget, the liberal Dems in Congress will work hard to "Bork" any pro-life nominee put forth by a president, making it hard to get solid unambiguous pro-lifers on the SCOTUS. But hey, Dems are awesome! yeah Dems!

Honestly, a pro-lifer voting Democrat makes about as much sense as a Jew voting Nazi.

littlesister

As an ex-Scrantonian and neighbor of the family, I was heartsick to see Bob Casey declaring himself pro-choice - and it seems that it's more than just something that can be implied from his support of Obama. His father really paid a price for being a pro-life Democrat, and seeing the son leaving the path...sigh...

zwergel88

Bob Casey did not declare himself pro-choice!!! He has consistantly maintained that he is in fact pro-life. Just because he is supporting Obama doesn't mean that his position on abortion has changed. You can't just put words in his mouth and change his views for him.