An Old School Catholic Message Board

Admit Your Sins To The Lord, Priest Tells Gay Judge

cappie

But why focus so strongly on homosexual couples? Why isn't the same sort of thing happening to heterosexual couples who are not married? Are you going to walk up to a het. couple who do not have wedding bands and say "you aren't married and are probably having sex so you're both going to hell unless you repent!" I doubt it, because someone doesn't want to make assumptions, right? So why does everyone make these assumptions about gay people? Sorry, but I still do not understand how two people who love each other very much (though some couples, like het. couples, are together because of lust), and are at times willing to give their life for one another, could possibly be a sin. I have many gay friends since I am involved in live theatre, and they are all unique persons. I don't see how we can dangle such a strong desire in their faces and be like "if you want this, then you're going to go to hell!" and put them through this mental torment.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Kitty' post='1496960' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:15 AM']But why focus so strongly on homosexual couples?[/quote]

Because its sin and today it is taught by worldly men as not being sin.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1496960' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:15 AM']Why isn't the same sort of thing happening to heterosexual couples who are not married? Are you going to walk up to a het. couple who do not have wedding bands and say "you aren't married and are probably having sex so you're both going to hell unless you repent!" I doubt it, because someone doesn't want to make assumptions, right?[/quote]

The Church, and Christians loyal to Christ continually teach against sex out of marriage. The Church, and Christians alike would do good to preach much more strongly on the truths of Christ. Sex out of marriage is always sinful, homosexual "sex" is always sinful. The judge openly admits to the sin of homosexuality, the Anglican Priest has every right to speak truth on the matter.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1496960' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:15 AM']So why does everyone make these assumptions about gay people? Sorry, but I still do not understand how two people who love each other very much (though some couples, like het. couples, are together because of lust), and are at times willing to give their life for one another, could possibly be a sin. I have many gay friends since I am involved in live theatre, and they are all unique persons. I don't see how we can dangle such a strong desire in their faces and be like "if you want this, then you're going to go to hell!" and put them through this mental torment.[/quote]

There is no assumption that homosexuality is sinful, and unnatural that is simply fact. It would be quite different if the Anglican Priest was saying such things about a person that was not a open homosexual, that would be making assumptions. The Anglican Priest is only speaking the Truth of Christ on the matter of the sin of homosexuality. To receive the gift of heaven one must repent of their sins. They most certainly can not be proud of sin.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1496939' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:36 AM']It just amazes me how obsessed people are with homosexuality and its apparent "evil". Like, why are we not focusing on topics that are more important, like abortion. Just leave the gay people alone to enjoy their own PRIVATE lives, stop flipping out about their "sins" and start looking at where the future of children stands![/quote]

+

No sin is private. We are all connected and each sin we commit affects our ability to love our brothers and sisters.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1496947' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:47 AM']Hardly. There are more doctors pulling baby's brains apart then homosexual couples allegedly corrupting children. Granted, I am not all for gay couples adopting, because I do believe that a child needs a father and a mother to have a healthy life, but if this judge and his partner are in a relationship, who cares?[/quote]

Oh goody, more moral relativism. I care. I don't necessarily compare the two. There is no lesser of two evils here. They are both intrinsically evil and yes we should care. I care deeply about the lives of the unborn children, but why can't I care about the salvation of those living in sin.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1496960' date='Apr 11 2008, 01:15 AM']But why focus so strongly on homosexual couples? Why isn't the same sort of thing happening to heterosexual couples who are not married? Are you going to walk up to a het. couple who do not have wedding bands and say "you aren't married and are probably having sex so you're both going to hell unless you repent!" I doubt it, because someone doesn't want to make assumptions, right? So why does everyone make these assumptions about gay people? Sorry, but I still do not understand how two people who love each other very much (though some couples, like het. couples, are together because of lust), and are at times willing to give their life for one another, could possibly be a sin. I have many gay friends since I am involved in live theatre, and they are all unique persons. I don't see how we can dangle such a strong desire in their faces and be like "if you want this, then you're going to go to hell!" and put them through this mental torment.[/quote]

What are you getting at with this argument. Again, both are intrinsically evil and are not accepted by the Church. The reason is that it is not in God's infinite plan for homosexual couples to be together in that way. Read the book of Genesis. How do you know that two homosexuals couldn't just be lusting after eachother anyway. That really isn't the point. It's not us that make them gay. What are you saying when you say how can we dangle a strong desire in their faces and be like...?

Edited by Anthony

KnightofChrist

Also the sin of abortion and the sin of homosexuality do have one thing in common both unnaturally prevent the continuation of the genetic line, which is the main reason for marriage. Abortion does this more directly but homosexual unions have the same results the willful unnatural prevention of natural procreation.

As far as I understand, this anglican priest corrected the judge privately via letter, which was the appropriate thing to do. It was the Judge who brought it out in public.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1496960' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:15 AM']But why focus so strongly on homosexual couples? Why isn't the same sort of thing happening to heterosexual couples who are not married? Are you going to walk up to a het. couple who do not have wedding bands and say "you aren't married and are probably having sex so you're both going to hell unless you repent!" I doubt it, because someone doesn't want to make assumptions, right? So why does everyone make these assumptions about gay people? Sorry, but I still do not understand how two people who love each other very much (though some couples, like het. couples, are together because of lust), and are at times willing to give their life for one another, could possibly be a sin. I have many gay friends since I am involved in live theatre, and they are all unique persons. I don't see how we can dangle such a strong desire in their faces and be like "if you want this, then you're going to go to hell!" and put them through this mental torment.[/quote]

Many people can engage in all sorts of sins and still be very kind, but that does not mean they are not committing a sin. Unfortunately our contemporary society has labeled things that are contrary to the natural and moral law as perfectly ok, and this opinion is so widespread now that it's virtually become acceptable among some religious people, and even viewed as being accepted by God. I honestly can't see how anyone can justify homosexuality since its explicitly forbidden in the bible by St Paul, sodomy is called an abomination that cries out to heaven in the OT, and since the Christian religion is so austere that for a man to even think of a woman in a sexual way he has already committed adultery.

Consider another example, polygamy, which our society scorns. But why? I've seen documentaries on men in saudi arabia who have multiple wives, and they're all very happy and accepting of the marital circumstances. Such a thing is illegal in the United States but perhaps in time this too will change.

The ways of the world are always changing, the most outrageous and forbidden thing today, may very well become acceptable in the future.

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='prose' post='1496348' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:17 AM']Now repent and become Catholic ;)[/quote]
:hehe:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1496959' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:13 PM']He's trying to be a good shepherd. He's got one lost sheep. When you are dealing with someone in a position of authority, when they are setting a bad example, it is worse than if a grocery clerk or a taxi driver is doing it. If someone in the pews is pro-choice, it's a shame. If it is a senator or public figure of some sort, it's a scandal.[/quote]
yup!

from the Catechism:[indent]2284 Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. The person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor's tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense.

2285 Scandal takes on a particular gravity by reason of the authority of those who cause it or the weakness of those who are scandalized. It prompted our Lord to utter this curse: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."86 Scandal is grave when given by those who by nature or office are obliged to teach and educate others. Jesus reproaches the scribes and Pharisees on this account: he likens them to wolves in sheep's clothing.87

2286 Scandal can be provoked by laws or institutions, by fashion or opinion.

Therefore, they are guilty of scandal who establish laws or social structures leading to the decline of morals and the corruption of religious practice, or to "social conditions that, intentionally or not, make Christian conduct and obedience to the Commandments difficult and practically impossible."88 This is also true of business leaders who make rules encouraging fraud, teachers who provoke their children to anger,89 or manipulators of public opinion who turn it away from moral values.

2287 Anyone who uses the power at his disposal in such a way that it leads others to do wrong becomes guilty of scandal and responsible for the evil that he has directly or indirectly encouraged. "Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!"90[/indent]

Well, I think it's a good thing that the priest was trying to help him - and that's what it was; why would he bother if it wasn't out of concern for his salvation? Sadly, too many Christians, even priests, tend to see homosexuality as just a choice that people are free to make, and say nothing. It is important - not 'less important' than abortion and such. One can care about abortion while at the same time caring about other things, and it's all part of the same culture anyway.

I had someone ask me last night, "If the Bible was written today, do you think God would have approved of being gay?" :rolleyes: I don't think that person is too fond of me now! But it does tend to be viewed now as a personal choice, it's okay as long as they love each other. "We know better than God". It isn't okay, it is an important issue, and more people should take the time to say so. More priests should take more of an interest.

All christians have some truth in their teachings. I cheer our brother in Christ in holding to true Christian belief.

cmotherofpirl

Yep, that judge falls in the same category as anyone who claims to be christian and yet approves of abortion or homosexual behavior. Maybe we could get a prelate to send the same type of letter to Hillary or Obama, they fall in the same category.

Sorry, but I still don't side with banning gay marriage. I used to be against it before I met many gay people for the first time. It probably doesn't help that my faith isn't very strong either.

KnightofChrist

Pray to be guided by faith and reason, being lead by emotion is dangerous for the heart is deceitful above all things.