An Old School Catholic Message Board

Open To Non-existence

dairygirl4u2c

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

some say you should be open minded but not to the point that your brains fall out. i could have posed the question as if i was so bad my brains fell out were i to do that. not literally brains falling out but...

If it were me, I think I could listen to their theory, but to be honest I don't think I could have a completely open mind on the subject. I feel very strongly and deeply that I do in fact exist :) So to force yourself to consider the possibility that you might not exist seems, well, odd. And yeah just a little to open minded. But on second thought, isn't the fact that you could doubt your existance a proof of your existance?

Laudate_Dominum

That would crack me up. :lol: Were you actually in that situation or is it just a hypothetical question?

Laudate_Dominum

I think therefore you do not exist.

If a person was serious about that they may need psychological help. haha

I could see how such a question could be fun to think about just for kicks though. We should have a debate in which each side must prove that their opponent does not really exist. Or maybe one person has to argue that the other person does not really exist and that poor soul will have to argue in defense of the reality of their existence.

I would definitely listen to them just to try and gauge exactly how insane they were and if they needed a referral anywhere.

Sure. I'd listen. I can listen to anybody's crazy theory. Obviously, seeing as how I am using my ears to listen to such lunacy, I exist. But let the person talk. Who cares?

AccountDeleted

If this person just likes intellectual stimulation, then fine, but if they are seriously doubting their own existence, perhaps they need a little psychological help. Schizophrenia causes a disturbance in one's perception of reality, so I would wonder a bit if they were really serious about this topic!

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='kujo' post='1495521' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:38 AM']Sure. I'd listen. I can listen to anybody's crazy theory. Obviously, seeing as how I am using my ears to listen to such lunacy, I exist. But let the person talk. Who cares?[/quote]

it doesn't sound like you're listening with an open mind though. to me, an open mind would be conceding while they talk that you might not really exist but are willing to entertain the idea.

saying "i don't concede the idea, but are willing to entertain the idea", is bascally saying the same thing as the last sentence, cause you're entertaining the idea and by saying "i don't concede" you're really just playing with words.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Listening with an open mind and even entertaining the idea that I don't exist would show that I too needed some psychiatric help. That would be like listening to someone try to convince me I am really a man and giving them any credence. Please.