An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cat Of Death

dairygirl4u2c

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

[url="http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ac5e373b-a889-40d7-a03d-b4b11d077ac1"]http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?...3d-b4b11d077ac1[/url]
[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/for-whom-the-cats-bell-tolls-feline-knows-when-death-nears-459179.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/am...ars-459179.html[/url]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_(cat)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_(cat)[/url]

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Archaeology cat

I don't see why not. My cat actually seemed to be able to tell I was pregnant almost from the beginning (he suddenly started acting different & sleeping by my belly; he didn't do that before or since).

Edited by Archaeology cat

Animals have senses for things that we can't begin to understand. My basset never acted afraid of anyone except for 3 people. Two women he put his tail between his legs and cowered. We found out later that both were dying of cancer. The third person was a man that he started snarling and snapping at. We thought he was going to bite him. We found out later he was a sexual predator who had just gotten out of jail. If I'd know that earlier, I might not have pulled my dog so hard to keep him from biting. He stayed away from our apartment and my boys though. The attack basset was on duty.

Galloglasses

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1494338' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:12 PM']Animals have senses for things that we can't begin to understand. My basset never acted afraid of anyone except for 3 people. Two women he put his tail between his legs and cowered. We found out later that both were dying of cancer. The third person was a man that he started snarling and snapping at. We thought he was going to bite him. We found out later he was a sexual predator who had just gotten out of jail. If I'd know that earlier, I might not have pulled my dog so hard to keep him from biting. He stayed away from our apartment and my boys though. The attack basset was on duty.[/quote]

Maybe God thought this was a funny little thing to put into animals we keep as pets? Man's best friend, lol.

My Labrador is afraid of everyone.

Nothing surprises me. They use dogs to detect skin cancers and seizures. They are able to key in on things that we can't. Why not death?

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1494338' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:12 PM']Animals have senses for things that we can't begin to understand. My basset never acted afraid of anyone except for 3 people. Two women he put his tail between his legs and cowered. We found out later that both were dying of cancer. The third person was a man that he started snarling and snapping at. We thought he was going to bite him. We found out later he was a sexual predator who had just gotten out of jail. If I'd know that earlier, I might not have pulled my dog so hard to keep him from biting. He stayed away from our apartment and my boys though. The attack basset was on duty.[/quote]

Wow - and i can see your basset is also literate - quite a dog!

Yes. Cats are very intuitive. When I was going through my divorce, my cat would never leave me alone. She would follow me around and sleep curled up close to me. Once I got more normal again, she went back to just using my arm as her pillow.
She knows when I am going on vacation though and flips when the suitcases come out. She will get up on my dresser and knock everything onto the floor.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Deb' post='1494551' date='Apr 8 2008, 01:53 AM']She will get up on my dresser and knock everything onto the floor.[/quote]
My husband's cat does that anyway. We call it his experiments in gravity, since he always watches the object as it's falling. My cat gets clingier when the suitcases come out.

Animals can sense things that we cannot. Take for example, drug sniffers. They can sense drugs without us even smelling it.

I think that animals can sense when someone is hurting or sad and they don't know human emotions. I think that they can pick up on subtle changes in a human's behavior because they are so caught up on the "regular" schedule of things.

Knight of the Holy Rosary

I don't know. I mean I think we all agree that animals have a pretty astute perception when it comes to physical/environmental conditions. But, can they really have a sense for an event (in this case death)?

I do believe that they can. They can pick up on subtle signs. Maybe they don't know that it is death per se but it is a change from the normal situation that surrounds the animal everyday.

dominicansoul

My little Terrier, Raisins, used to snarl and snap and bark at people who were in mortal sin! (In this case, certain family members and friends.) I was always fascinated by this...and I wonder if perhaps he "saw" little demons around these people that made him react this way...

One of these friends changed his life, and went back to confession. Raisins met him the first time after, wagging his tail and licking his hand! It was amazing, I tell you!

littlesister

Our hospice cat can certainly sense it. When she starts hanging around one patient more than the others, we know it's time to contact the family.
A Personnel Director in a manufacturing plant calls his four-pound Maltese his "assistant." If puppy snuggles up to an applicant...he's in. If he yips and snaps instead...good-bye. Only once did they ignore his response because of a skilled position that really need to be filled. They paid for it dearly, and never did it again!