An Old School Catholic Message Board

Free Speech

iheartjp2

goldenchild17

I, as a general rule, do not believe in overall free speech, or freedom of religion or freedom to spread any non-truth in any form for that matter. But I do believe that in a country that is not run by Catholics (and I would argue not even explicitly Christian) it is the best policy to allow everyone their say. If one group is censored, then there is no reason for anyone at all to expect their right to speech. I want to have the choice to worship as I please. If I wish to keep it, I need to see that others retain their right (per the Constitution), my freedom is bound to change at every whim of our leaders.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1494989' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:00 PM']If you want to shut down those sites, then you should also advocate shutting down all Catholic sites which criticize the doctrines of other faiths. As far as I can tell, these facebook sites are not attacking anybody, they are attacking ideologies. There is nothing at all wrong with this. I will not join in such a crusade against a right that all Americans should be allowed to have, no matter how they decide to use it.[/quote]

If you show me a Catholic site that uses that language as the title of their site, I will be more than happy to see about shutting them down. But, you won't find one. I find them stating F**k Jesus as an attack against my Lord and offensive to the extreme. If they want to put this on their own personal web site, so be it, but putting it on a public forum is an attack against Christians. Christians as a whole are so used to turning the other cheek and some day we will wake up and find ourselves the ones being arrested for our beliefs.
Freedom of speech is a right and a privilege. Check out FCC vs Pacifica Foundation.

son_of_angels

Since we are in a 'democracy,' or at least a secularised government, your freedoms will change at every election anyway. What is the difference between open opposition and economic controls that favor the small, burgoise family over the large, lower class one? Surely they both work against the interests of American catholics? In my opinion, modern Catholics are so afraid of persecution (which is, as regards the gospels, a gift from God, not a curse) that they are willing not to act in their own interests. This is ridiculous.

The key is that, with a secular government, we should always act SOLELY on the basis of our own interests, as the Gospel reads, "make friends with the mammon of wickedness, so that, when it fails, they may welcome you into eternity" (I may have misquoted the last part.) We engage with it as a lesser, not an equal.

Edited by son_of_angels