An Old School Catholic Message Board

What To Look For In A Cloistered Monastery?

Saint Therese

I think that TradMom said it all in post

posted on 7 March 2008 3.26 PM

Which bec. of its length, I won't copy here. I think that any one looking anywhere should print this out with spaces for notation and take it with them when they visit!

As for myself, being a practical sort, I would look at viability of the order and especially of that particular house and try to find out more about debt and the ownership of their buildings Support for health issues such as available Catholic hospitals and nursing homes for the elderly, if needed, and increasingly, this isneeded as nuns age and survive! The Catholic hospital in Atlanta for ex. had Trappists from Conyers from time to time. Startez' monastery makes no secret of its tremendous debt, which is enough possibly to challenge its survival; this would certainly worry me as a candidate.

This all sounds rather hard-hearted and concrete, but most religious would find it difficult for their house to fold and all of them to be dispersed or to travel to a more difficult environment. It can be done, of course, but I think that someone just starting out would find this difficult. I have heard of two houses closing recently, but with their elderly members intact. Many more are on the horizon, of all persuasions.

[quote name='nunsense' post='1495553' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:27 PM']Another thing to think about is that although a community might validly be considered "healthy" - it still might not be the right one for you - since we are all different. There are wonderful communities that I could call "healthy", but even so, I could still not call them "home" for me.[/quote]
It's similar (though not the same) as dating someone and thinking they're wonderful, but knowing they're not "the one."

Saint Therese
:mellow: So, what ya'll are saying, if I understand, is that while no monastery is perfect, one must be discerning. Some things should be expected, such as human weakness and failings. At the same time the community should be faithful to its ideal (Rule, Constitutions etc). Does that sound right? So basically, don't freak out if you find out that nuns are just people as long as they are faithfully living out their life? :think:

puellapaschalis

I'd say, don't freak out [i]when[/i] (not if) you discover that the community is human, and look for a group who (together) are faithfully [i]trying[/i] to faithfully live out their life.

Or you could say: look for the place where you believe you'll be safe making your mistakes too :)

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1496614' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:53 PM']Or you could say: look for the place where you believe you'll be safe making your mistakes too :)[/quote]

That's probably the best advice on discerning religious life that I've ever seen.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1496548' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:18 PM']:mellow: So, what ya'll are saying, if I understand, is that while no monastery is perfect, one must be discerning. Some things should be expected, such as human weakness and failings. At the same time the community should be faithful to its ideal (Rule, Constitutions etc). Does that sound right? So basically, don't freak out if you find out that nuns are just people as long as they are faithfully living out their life? :think:[/quote]

Nuns and monks are the most HUMAN human beings you'll ever meet.

Blessings,
Gemma