An Old School Catholic Message Board

Me Centric Hip-hop Propagate The Me-centric Gospel?

Galloglasses

Galloglasses

This is a question that came into my mind recently, alot of hip hop/rap artists these days, the more famous ones at any rate, tend to be very 'me centred' in their music. 50 Cent for example, but even when these artists occasionally make Jesus centred music it has to do with how 'they' need Jesus. (Kanye West's Jesus walks anyone?) This is not a bad thing but it has to do with my question.

I have sky digital and I have to go to the Religion section to find EWTN, (its at the bottom of the first page in the section), yet every channel above it is either evangelical or 'eccumenical', (the eccumenical channels tend to be so packed with differing theology from different denominations you have no idea whats going on, except when the put on superbook), and some of these, the more evangelical ones, put on hip hop music videos about Jesus or Christianity, or some shows with actors acting out Christian social teaching on stages and in front of audiences that would not make a rock star ashamed to perform upon. Many of these Hip-Hoppers/Rappers tend to also make me-centric music as well, and, as I don't doubt many of there watchers would do, they listen to those songs as well because they saw them on the Religious channels.

So my question is, does the largely me-centred songs and music inspire or unintentially promote the me-centred Gospel as exampled in some of the more me-centric Gospel music, or praise and worship a-la Charismatic movement or Pentacostal movements? Is there a connection there at all or is my line of thought pointless and baseless spectulation, what are your thoughts?

FYI: Many of the Religion channels on the page also feature the 700 Club punctuating their timeslots everyday, I've never watched a 700 club show so i've no idea what they're about but its friggin' everywhere. So much so that EWTN looks the odd duckling out.

Edited by Galloglasses

:think:

It would be shocking if there were not a connection between me-centrism in music and theology. If the lyrics are health-wealth-cuddles-resolutions-assurance, then they might come from a theology that has a distorted emphasis on them. But in the end, calling the music "me-centric" is too close to the same as calling it "sinful" and that will not help without specifically point out the sin.

I think that is what you asked for. :idontknow:

Now...just throwing some more out there.....there were times as a Christian that I wanted to criticize some Christian music and then later had to admit that I would have to criticize the Psalms unless I softened my stance. I'm thinking things like "God I want this" "God I'm pretty holy" "God I'm having a horrible day/life" "God I'm fed up with so-and-so" "God you will do this for me or give this to me." Also, "testimonial" lyrics are supposed to be compelling and point past the testimonial to God. Now putting aside many 1st person (me-centric?) references in songs, since they can be correct, it might just come down to whether or not the message of the song is accurate or not. They aren't trying to make Holy Scriptures out of their music, and, as artists, they should have some latitude.

Galloglasses

Forgive me I think I meant along the lines of 50 Cent's i'm laughing all the way to the bank with this, abour how he's so rich now. THAT'S the kind of me-centricity I was referring to in the none religious music hip hoppers make. Or Kanye West's Stronger and the ilk.

Galloglasses

[quote name='Paddington' post='1493068' date='Apr 5 2008, 04:36 PM']Well then. :whistle:

So.....secular hip-hoppers influencing theology?[/quote]

Is it not possible? I've already established that Hip-hoppers who produce secular music also sometimes produce Religious music. I've stated that some evangelical programs and/or channels show said religious hip hop. I've suggested that people who listen to the religious music also listen to the secular music of the same artists. How can that not have an effect on theology? Especially when some churches seem to have no qualms about religious music being played on their channels/in their Churches/at their functions by artists who have also produce some, (asometimes vulgar), secular music?

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1493072' date='Apr 5 2008, 08:09 PM']Is it not possible?[/quote]

The lyrics aren't Scripture so it would be hard. But anything that is accepted sentimentally can predispose a person to accept it on a deeper level. Sounds right anyways.