An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men, Women In Same Dorm Rooms

apparent

More than 30 college campuses nationwide have begun allowing men and women to share dorm rooms, [url="http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/04/02/just_roommates/"][i]The Boston Globe[/i][/url] reported.
Is modestly none of our business in the new world? Should colleges allow or institute gender-neutral rooming assignments?
I think students cohabitating on campus is asking for trouble and rather ambiguous

Archaeology cat

Hmm, interesting. Can't say I think it's that great an idea. Though I spent quite a bit of time at the house a lot of my guy friends lived in (I had some roommate issues), I think it would have been a bad idea had I actually been living there full-time. As it was I tried to make sure I was never there alone (almost always had one of my girlfriends with me), at least not later at night. I'm just thinking of temptations which could have arisen, and even causing scandal to others.

Edited by Archaeology cat

Thy Geekdom Come

Sigh. I just read an interview with an ex-feminist (see her book here: [url="http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=3272&AFID=12&)"]http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?S...p;AFID=12&)[/url] who said that part of the feminist agenda has been to remove any and all differences between men and women...naturally, this fits right into that agenda. Atrocious. I wonder when our colleges are going to get a clue.

I find it interesting that the article mentioned students at Harvard were calling for mixed gender dorm rooms---wasn't there just a big thing about women-only gym hours being established there? Doesn't really make sense to me.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote]It'll be interesting to see how this will affect rates of rape and sexual assault.[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. A girl being roomed with a guy she's never even met before- creepy.

Edited by rizz_loves_jesus

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1492618' date='Apr 4 2008, 05:53 PM']That's what I was thinking. A girl being roomed with a guy she's never even met before- creepy.[/quote]

Honestly, I'd rather share a room with a gay guy than a lesbian woman.

We had all female dorms, and the guys had to be out by 11pm at night, and couldn't come in until 3pm. The only way I could see this being appropriate is if it was a brother/sister. If I'd been assigned some strange man, I'd have freaked out.

I live in a co-ed dormitory. Men are in one set of suites, women are in another in theory. That said, the intensely annoying girlfriend of one of my suitemates has yet to sleep in her own bed for this entire school year. (If you doubt me on the annoying, ask Missy, she's been on the phone with me a number of times and can hear her over my television and through my closed door.)

So while our co-ed dorms don't have men and women officially in the same suite, the school does nothing to discourage this if both people sharing a bed are both paying the housing fees for separate rooms.

cathoholic_anonymous

With the exception of Lucy Cavendish, Newnham, and New Hall, which are all-women colleges, the colleges of Cambridge University are mixed. As the students live on-site, this means mixed accommodation as well. I live in an old-fashioned lodge with six other people, only one of whom is a girl. I have my own little suite (bedroom-study and bathroom) and I hardly ever see my housemates at all. Not one of them has set foot in my room, as my friends are drawn from other circles. I don't see why this sort of arrangement need be a problem for a Catholic - it's no different from having a male next-door neighbour in a block of flats.

Then again, I may be misunderstanding the question - I've yet to get my head around the American dormitory system. In England a dormitory is a single room that you share with several people, usually at boarding school.

[quote name='BG45' post='1492653' date='Apr 4 2008, 07:13 PM']I live in a co-ed dormitory. Men are in one set of suites, women are in another in theory. That said, the intensely annoying girlfriend of one of my suitemates has yet to sleep in her own bed for this entire school year. (If you doubt me on the annoying, ask Missy, she's been on the phone with me a number of times and can hear her over my television and through my closed door.)

So while our co-ed dorms don't have men and women officially in the same suite, the school does nothing to discourage this if both people sharing a bed are both paying the housing fees for separate rooms.[/quote]

*nods* It's true. The worst of it is when they start having relations in the common area, with absolutely zero respect for the rest of the people in the suite. It's pretty disgusting.

My best friend finds herself in a similarly unfortunate situation.

As for me, I'll be transferring to a university with co-ed dorms next fall. I wouldn't mind rooming with a lesbian--a few friends are--or a gay guy. However, I definitely would be wary of rooming with a straight guy I've only just met then. Given the stress put on most men these days to drink and then attempt to sleep with everything that moves, well...honestly, I'd be scared.

Of course, the same university I mentioned also allows guests to stay for up to two nights. I'm sure I'm in for some...interesting roomie situations. :unsure:

It almost makes me want to try to shell out the extra money for a private room. Heh, too bad they're outrageously expensive...

I'd feel like I didn't have any privacy if I had to share a dorm room with some random guy. I'd feel like he'd be ogling me in my PJs and stuff, and I'd feel self-conscious all the time.

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1492662' date='Apr 4 2008, 07:32 PM']*nods* It's true. The worst of it is when they start having relations in the common area, with absolutely zero respect for the rest of the people in the suite. It's pretty disgusting.[/quote]

Icky! That's pretty disrespectful for people to have sex when there are other people in the room who don't want to see/hear them getting it on.

[quote]As for me, I'll be transferring to a university with co-ed dorms next fall. I wouldn't mind rooming with a lesbian--a few friends are--or a gay guy. However, I definitely would be wary of rooming with a straight guy I've only just met then. Given the stress put on most men these days to drink and then attempt to sleep with everything that moves, well...honestly, I'd be scared.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think I'd mind sharing a room with a gay guy or a lesbian. But a random straight guy? No way!

Church Punk

I think its a bad idea to allow men/women (girls & boys) live it the same rooms together. I take it they mean like beds next to each other, not just in the same building.

I lived with a girl when i was around campus but we each had out own private rooms, she was up stairs i was down stair and locks on our doors. I don't see much problem with that type of arrangement.

But it is definitely trouble and tempting to be sleeping right next to each other!