An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vegetarianism

ChildoftheCreator

Vegetarian--Yes or no?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1502402' date='Apr 17 2008, 11:07 PM']human teeth prove we are supposed to be meat eaters and plant eaters. However, i don't think that means we need to eat alot of meat.[/quote]

I think rampant diabetes and obesity prove we're not supposed to eat a lot of anything, particularly meat. The problem is that meat is soooo cheap (because it's subsidized). I read stats that basically said poor children eat almost twice as much meat in a week as middle class children. I imagine they eat less fresh fruit and vegetables as well. :ohno:

My govenrment is paying people now to get out of meat production and into grain - for biofuel. :sadder:

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to the grocery store this week, the aisle with the 50 lb. sacks of rice was almost empty. I guess people are really getting scared.

zwergel88

I am a vegetarian because I believe that the widespread practice of factory farming is ethically wrong, as well as harmful to society and the environment. I would eat animals if I knew that they were kept and killed under humane conditions, but too often they are not, so it is just easier to be a vegetarian.

I was a vegan for 1.5 years. I'm back to eating meat, but I would like to go back to being a vegeterian--or possibly eat only fish and dairy products.

I felt a lot healthier then, but I think I needed more protein.

I remember when I was used to being a vegetarian that the packs of meat in the stores looked disgusting.

I was a Vegetarian for a while as well. For the same reason zwergel mentioned. I hated the idea that the animals were being treated cruelly. Then, I became ridiculously anemic post-partum, and my OB basically demanded that I started eating red meat to get my iron up quickly. I've basically cut out red meat now (although every once in a while I enjoy a good medium-rare steak), and I purchase as much locally produced animal products as possible (eggs from down the road, beef/chicken from the local market, etc).

Guest Traversing To You

So yes, I have been a veg-head for 2 1/2 years now. The initial reason I became one was due to a PETA vid I saw about how pigs, cows, and chickens are treated at certain industrial meat farms. It was very appalling to say the least. One of the main reason why I'm a veg now is b/c meat products are difficult to digest, and are hard on one's stomach/intestines. In regard to having a low iron count, I merely had to start taking iron pills and eat more iron rich foods (such as spinach, Lima beans, etc.), so it wasn't too bad. And there are some [b][u][size=3]really[/size][/u][/b] good fo-meat companies out there such as [i]Morning Star[/i] that makes a pretty impressive imitation corn dog, sausage link, etc. SO you don't just have to eat beans.

p.s. Visit www.go-veg.com to watch the vids... but beware b/c they're very graphic.

[url="http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp"]http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp[/url]

Veridicus

[quote name='Traversing To You' post='1518942' date='May 4 2008, 11:07 PM']So yes, I have been a veg-head for 2 1/2 years now. The initial reason I became one was due to a PETA vid I saw about how pigs, cows, and chickens are treated at certain industrial meat farms. It was very appalling to say the least. One of the main reason why I'm a veg now is b/c meat products are difficult to digest, and are hard on one's stomach/intestines. In regard to having a low iron count, I merely had to start taking iron pills and eat more iron rich foods (such as spinach, Lima beans, etc.), so it wasn't too bad. And there are some [b][u][size=3]really[/size][/u][/b] good fo-meat companies out there such as [i]Morning Star[/i] that makes a pretty impressive imitation corn dog, sausage link, etc. SO you don't just have to eat beans.
p.s. Visit www.go-veg.com to watch the vids... but beware b/c they're very graphic.
[url="http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp"]http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp[/url][/quote]

But the Question is: Where those Iron Pills tested on animals before they hit the market????

One fo the funniest things I've seen is a poster of Animal Rights activists protesting medical animal testing. Underneath the picture was the statement, "Thanks to Animal Research they'll be able to protest 23.5 years longer." Seriously though, meat in moderation is the best way. And you guys are probably right that slaughterhouses should up their standards. But at the end of the day animals are NOT people. I read a good book (well...good except for all of its contraception propaganda) a few years back called "Plan B 2.0" and its about addressing the various ecological and socioeconomic problems the world will be facing over the next 50 years. The US consumption of meat is unsustainable. Apparently, farmed fish is the way to go according to that guy. I like fish...but I'd have to have a medium rare steak every now and then. After all, I take God seriously in Acts 10:13 "Get up...Kill and eat." And that included all of our four-legged friends :))

Edited by Veridicus