An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vegetarianism

ChildoftheCreator

Vegetarian--Yes or no?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Dismas' post='1492138' date='Apr 3 2008, 07:44 PM']Let's face it, most people buy TV dinners because its easier. I contend that the largest cause to modern obesity is sloth as opposed to gluttony.[/quote]
Yeah, I definitely agree that sedentary lifestyles certainly play a big part in the obesity problem.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1492284' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:04 PM']No one gets a lean, healthy figure without good exercise.[/quote]
lean, yeas. healthy, no.

Plenty of lazy, skinny people live on McDonald's... they just stick w/ the regular size instead of the super-size. (Being skinny is not synonymous with being healthy.)

Edited by tgoldson

Agreed. I'm quite thin, but I could easily be unhealthy if I don't eat well like I do now. I seem unable to gain fat, so the only way to gain weight is to gain muscle. Anywho, that's either here nor there... I'm liking this thread btw!

Yeah, thin does not always equal healthy. I'm thin, but I don't think I'm as healthy as I should be. I'm not as fit as I once was. For example, I don't think I'd come anywhere near being able to finish a 5K race. I need to start training, though, 'cause one of my goals for the year is to climb Mount Washington in New Hampshire, and I won't be able to do so unless I start putting my nose to the grindstone. I've got a [b]long[/b] way to go. :)

Edited by BeenaBobba

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1492383' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:28 PM']I seem unable to gain fat,[/quote]enjoy it while you can... metabolism usually falls with age. In other words, older people on average burn fewer calories per pound of bodyweight than do younger people. (This is generally due to a loss of lean muscle mass.)

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Veritas' post='1491052' date='Apr 2 2008, 03:05 AM']I don't care for meat.[/quote]
same here.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1491076' date='Apr 2 2008, 07:26 AM']I would suggest not going vegetarian, but rather going to free-range/organic meats[/quote]
words like "Free-range" and "organic" can be very misleading. access to a fifteen foot by fifteen foot plot of dirt once a week isn't very "free-range" to me.

[quote name='Veritas' post='1491769' date='Apr 3 2008, 02:16 AM']Am I really the only vegetarian on p h a tmass?[/quote]
nope.

[quote name='hecklingsoul' post='1492273' date='Apr 3 2008, 08:40 PM']but I do spend a little extra money to buy free range organic meat. Because it taste better, its more humane, and I like to help local farmers.[/quote]
i'd check into it more to see if it really is "free-range" that you are spending more money on.

ChildoftheCreator

*drum roll please* and now for my VERY long post.

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1491259' date='Apr 2 2008, 03:00 PM']Peter Singer supports killing newborn babies until up to thirty days after birth, just so you know.
Okay, people are already complaining about overpopulation (which is completely false, by the way). If we cut off half our food source, would that just make it worse? If starving families in third world countries are denied meat, what will they do? Eat grass? Besides, what about all the pretty scenery that liberals are always complaining about? Seriously, they obsess about 'overpopulation' and not destroying the environment, then suggest that the world uses plants as its one and only food source? Don't they realize that would create more problems than it would solve? Like people would be hitting animals while driving every other day because they weren't hunted anymore.[/quote]
I am not surprised at all about the killing babies thing. However, I don't know why he would cut it off at thirty days, I mean, he is against suffering, so if someone is killed without suffering, then why not have the time period longer? Just sickening!
I'd have to disagree, the overpopulation thing seems very probable, however, I am not sure if we have reached that point yet or if we just can't distribute our food evenly.
If people in third world countries are denied meat, they'll just have to eat lentils, oats, and golden rice.
Yep, I wondered about the hitting animals thing. What if we said that all species were equal, wouldn't that mean that since we couldn't eat meat, then no other specie should eat meat? If no animals were getting killed, then we would certainly have an overpopulation problem . . . kind of like deer. Imagine hitting a cow with your car, ouch.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1491549' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:09 PM']I tried the vegetarian thing for awhile. Didn't work out. I think for the most part being 100% vegetarian is not healthy, especially if you eat tofu to compensate. I'm all for caring for animals but I also believe that they are created for our use. As long as we don't hurt them unnecessarily we can use them for our benefit. I think by and large the processes used today to produce animal products are extremely inhumane, but I do believe it's perfectly fine to eat meat that you either hunt or get from a free-range or organic operation. I don't tend to wear too many animal products (except for shoes sometimes, though I usually stick to converse all-stars), but that's mostly just personal choice rather than for a moral reason. I do think a lot of the animal product clothing is overdone and not really necessary.[/quote]

I think that your statement pretty much sums up my opinions (including the choice in shoes :topsy:) It would be good if we could hunt more deer especially, since they are already too numerous, lacking predators and all. Plus the deer have already led a good lifestyle. Now, if only I new how to shoot.
I'd like to go free-range, but not all free-range farms seem humane. Below is a picture of a free range farm (which is probably on the extreme end as far as they go.) [img]http://www.veganoutreach.org/freerange/FreeRangeChickens2.jpg[/img]
Our local farmers need support, too, so if one could afford to buy from them that would be a better choice than from big farms.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1491614' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:48 PM']First of all, I'd stear clear of anything by Peter Singer when looking for moral guidance.
That man is one of the most blatantly evil and twisted "intellectuals" around today. I wrote an article on him some years back, and I've researched his works rather thoroughly.
In his other books, "Dr. Death" (as he's known) has advocated legalizing infanticide until one or two years after birth, as well as the killing of the severely retarded and disabled.
He is militantly atheist and anti-Christian, blaming the Christian Faith for all the world's ills, and advocates a utilitarian ethic which explicitly denies the sacredness of human life. He says that regarding human life as intrinsically sacred is "speciesist," and says that instead life should be valued acording to the mental abilities of the creature. For instance, if a dog or cat shows more cognitive ability than a newborn human infant, the animal therefore deserves more rights than the infant, including the right to life.
He also argues for legal "personhood" for apes and other animals, and in one internet article has defended bestiality on the grounds that humans and animals are not essentially different.
([i]Animal Liberation [/i]is actually one of his tamer works.)

Anyways, I'm a huge carnivore, often eating a couple steaks for dinner.
If people want to practice vegetarianism, I hold no grudge against them, though, so long as they don't try to enforce it on me.

If eating animals was intrinsically evil, God would have condemned it somewhere, yet He does not, and has even commanded the eating of meat (Passover, for instance).[/quote]
Thanks, that is good to know. I felt kind of uncomfortable with his whole utilitarian outlook as far as human life was concerned. I do not think that human life and animal life are on the same level. At the same time, I think that people should care for God's creation and not abuse it, as, in my own opinion, is being done in the large scale farming industry. I will be careful with this book, but I also think that some good ideas could be gleaned from it as far as animal suffering is concerned.
Now, it's one or two years after birth that a baby can be killed?!? Ugh! That point alone almost makes me want to discredit any opinions that he may have.
I am a little sick with many books implying that western civilization and Judeo-Christian outlooks are responsible for the evil in the world and some statements in the book would imply that Singer follows this train of thought.

[quote name='-I---cuddle with my weeble and wub' post='1491743' date='Apr 3 2008, 12:53 AM']I will reply further tomorrow, but you should check out who Peter Singer is. A quick wikipedia read proves reliable enough to show that he is not a man to be trusted. His thoughts often directly oppose Catholic morals and in Catholic Bioethics and the Gift of Human Life he is oft cited opposing the Catholic viewpoint. He does not believe that all human beings are persons. He does not believe sexual acts between a human and a lesser animal demean our human nature. Although these are not the same issue as to eat meat or not, I hope this shows that the man is not to be trusted. Anything he has written should be scrutinized. Be wary.[/quote]
I certainly won't blindly trust this man. However, as with the world as a whole, not everything is evil. There is good mixed in with the bad and hopefully we can take what is good and leave what is bad.

[quote name='-I---cuddle with my weeble and wub' post='1491872' date='Apr 3 2008, 12:09 PM']So while overeating is the problem, the type of foods (aka processed garbage that can't be called nourishment), specifically the carbs of the stupid excuse for a food pyramid, are the main part of the that problem.[/quote]
As far as I know, they decided to get rid of the food pyramid and now have a pie graph of foods in the shape of a triangle. I don't understand why they couldn't have made it a circle; they must just like the three-sided look.
[img]http://www.thefeltsource.com/New-Food-Pyramid-Large.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1493111' date='Apr 5 2008, 06:11 PM']Does eating the Eucharist constitute eating meat?[/quote]
Well, I guess it does. :)) However, once I am able to receive it I wouldn't ever give it up.

icelandic_iceskater

I'm a ovo-lacto veggie =D (who doesn't eat fish or plain eggs- ew) Mainly because I think eating dead animals is gross. lol

When I'm going up to communion I have to try not to think about what I'm eating cause it sickens me... is that bad? idk...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Veritas' post='1492274' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:41 PM']+

What about italians, who eat pasta every day and asians, who eat rice with nearly every meal? Kind of debunks the carbs kill you debate, no?[/quote]
Again it depends on the carbs. The Italians eat healthy pasta the Asians long-grained rice, but nowhere in the amounts that we consume at the average meal. They also eat lots of veggies with their carbs, and eat slowly and avoid overeating. Starchy carbs cause a sugar high so you get hungry again sooner.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1493582' date='Apr 6 2008, 11:58 AM']I'm a ovo-lacto veggie =D (who doesn't eat fish or plain eggs- ew) Mainly because I think eating dead animals is gross. lol

When I'm going up to communion I have to try not to think about what I'm eating cause it sickens me... is that bad? idk...[/quote]

Yah, i don't like eating dead animals or eggs, either, but i love receiving the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus! Focus on the spiritual/heavenly side of Communion, would ya? i don't think the meat-eaters on here are like, "mmm, flesh!" when they head up for Communion.

...but i am really glad that Jesus didn't pick fish for the Eucharist. He could have - he multiplied loaves and fish!