An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vegetarianism

ChildoftheCreator

Vegetarian--Yes or no?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will reply further tomorrow, but you should check out who Peter Singer is. A quick wikipedia read proves reliable enough to show that he is not a man to be trusted. His thoughts often directly oppose Catholic morals and in Catholic Bioethics and the Gift of Human Life he is oft cited opposing the Catholic viewpoint. He does not believe that all human beings are persons. He does not believe sexual acts between a human and a lesser animal demean our human nature. Although these are not the same issue as to eat meat or not, I hope this shows that the man is not to be trusted. Anything he has written should be scrutinized. Be wary.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1491598' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:32 PM']False. Americans get too much fat from meat. Omega Acids are necessary and hard to find in but protein is better found in lentils, beans and rice.[/quote]

Although there is protein in beans, etc. the majority of it is actually not able to be absorbed by our bodies and therefore is useless. So if you care which food is going to allow your body to actually have more protein it is meat, fish, dairy all the way!

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1491234' date='Apr 2 2008, 02:45 PM']I'm opposed to Veganism. Its completely unhealthy in my eyes, the human body needs something from animals. I remember hearing a vegan on the radio who was condemning, nearly everything, except for sprouts to be bad for you. And that sprouts were the only way to go, he is currently raising his three children on sprouts, (i'm no parent but I think thats a bad idea health wise), and that there was nothing bad or can ever be anything bad about sprouts. Thous shalt eat sprouts morning, noon and night. Thou shalt not doubt thy sprouts. To doubt thy sprouts is to blaspheme against the gods of sproutiness. Just kidding, he ticked me off by spouting a load of bull. '60% of the world is vegetarian now'
See what I mean?

Vegetarianism is not so bad in my eyes, but I just find the lifestyle distasteful. I just hate those guys who equate animal lives with our own. My brother calls them 'Eco-Warrior freaks' (my brother is not a nice person), i'm an animal person, I get this from my dad, but I am not averse to killing and eating them. Except for dogs and horses, here in Ireland, thats just not done. ever. So much so that if you were forced to you'd be reluctant.

Also i'm not averse to hunting as long as i'm going to eat the animal when I kill it, i'm quite fond of weapons and the like. An unhealthy habit I know. Even scarier when you consider I wear glasses, my glasses are usually dirty am a decent shot.

On topic, vegetarianism would come in on handy during Fridays of Lent[/quote]

+

Ireland has the best dairy I've ever tasted. Seriously. Go to Ireland drink some milk, eat some coagulated milk, and buy some yogurt -YUM!!! What do you guys do to the cows over there?!

goldenchild17

I gotta disagree with the idea that meat is the problem in a diet. I'd say it's the carbs that kill.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Veritas' post='1491748' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:14 AM']+

Ireland has the best dairy I've ever tasted. Seriously. Go to Ireland drink some milk, eat some coagulated milk, and buy some yogurt -YUM!!! What do you guys do to the cows over there?![/quote]
I gotta agree that Irish butter is wonderful. And I cuddle with my weeble and wub getting fresh milk (for a while I was having my milk delivered from a farm about 20 miles away). And coagulated milk over here is delicious. Even more so when it's unpasteurized.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1491762' date='Apr 3 2008, 12:54 AM']I gotta disagree with the idea that meat is the problem in a diet. I'd say it's the carbs that kill.[/quote]
no, carbs are fine. eating way too many simple carbs can be a problem... but the same can be said for any other type of food

it's wrong to blame carbs for American obesity. the main problem is overeating.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1491813' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:12 AM']no, carbs are fine. eating way too many simple carbs can be a problem... but the same can be said for any other type of food

it's wrong to blame carbs for American obesity. the main problem is overeating.[/quote]
It depends on the type of carbs: white potatoes white bread and pasta are not healthy carbs for anybody. Red yellow and green carbs are the way to go.
I also remember reading vegetarians die younger than carnivores. :burger: :coagulated milk: :drpepper:

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1491813' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:12 AM']no, carbs are fine. eating way too many simple carbs can be a problem... but the same can be said for any other type of food

it's wrong to blame carbs for American obesity. the main problem is overeating.[/quote]

If mainstream America stopped all carbs except vegetables and fruits and still ate the same number of calories as they did prior, they would be thinner without a doubt. So while overeating is the problem, the type of foods (aka processed garbage that can't be called nourishment), specifically the carbs of the stupid excuse for a food pyramid, are the main part of the that problem. In short, those fake food carbs are "crack." The majority of American's crack of choice are the starchy carbs.

POTATOES RULE EVERYTHING.

then there's meat.

that's all you need, meat and potatoes, and you can live as healthy as you want to live... you're only morally required to refrain from gluttony and be as healthy as your vocation in life requires. everything on top of that is just gravy

mmm.... gravy...

Potatoes are starchy carbs.

I think Aloysius, as a moderator, should ban himself from responding in reference to any of my comments as he is clearly being an antagonistic annoyance.

lol...moderators are allowed to be antagonizing annoyances from time to time. and anyway, I stand by my comment. :P

Ireland's peasants were always the healthiest in Europe as a result of their potatoe-rich diet (and yes, I spelled potatoe with the archaic spelling just like Dan Quayle)... starch is fine for you... might bulk you up in areas that are not flattering due to vanity, but it keeps you well :smokey:

1) It's safe to say they had organic, nutrient rich potatoes

2) In the world of athletic performance and nutrition, starchy carbs do not keep you well, but slow you down. If functional performance is to carry over into everyday life, starchy carbs are no less of a hinderance.

I'm shocked that you stand by your unfounded comment (yeah, I haven't offered evidence either because no one cares and I'm being lazy).

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='-I---cuddle with my weeble and wub' post='1491872' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:09 PM']If mainstream America stopped all carbs except vegetables and fruits and still ate the same number of calories as they did prior, they would be thinner without a doubt. So while overeating is the problem, the type of foods (aka processed garbage that can't be called nourishment), specifically the carbs of the stupid excuse for a food pyramid, are the main part of the that problem. In short, those fake food carbs are "crack." The majority of American's crack of choice are the starchy carbs.[/quote]

Mmm somewhat, but meat is part of the problem. Starchy carbs themselves don't cause heart disease, whereas things like alot of meat, even organic meat, can. Processed food, weither it be orgainc, vegeterian, or regular is just flat out bad.

And substituting whole wheat pasta for regular pasta and long grain rice for processed white rice and bleached flour for whole flour actualy improves what the body can do to those carbs.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1491930' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:52 PM']And substituting whole wheat pasta for regular pasta and long grain rice for processed white rice and bleached flour for whole flour actualy improves what the body can do to those carbs.[/quote]
Yeah, I cuddle with my weeble and wub using whole wheat & long grain rice.