An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cheese Nun Et Varia

gloriagurl

cmotherofpirl wrote that something I responded to sounded interesting and asked that a new thread be started...so here it is...

Let's see I believe EWIE, Sr. Praxedes and I were discussing the art and food (which is also very artistic) provided by the nuns at the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Bethleham Connecticut.

It appears that all three of us are well acquainted with the community - particularly with Mothers Praxedes, Placid and Noella. Mother Noella is the coagulated milk Nun and in the last couple of years an absolutely wonderful documentary was done about her. I believe it aired on PBS a couple of years ago. I'd be willing to bet you can find it at Amazon or some other internet movie seller.

For clarity purposes, just in case some don't know this....all solemnly professed nuns at RL are titled Rev Mother and are called Mother (esp by those in the community) though many of them will introduce themselves as Sister for humility's sake and I believe, MAYBE A LITTLE BIT because then they don't have to explain themselves quite so much to the many people who visit the Abbey. It is a French Benedictine custom (RL was founded from Jouarre) to call the solemnly professed, Mother - just as it is English to call them Dame....to my knowledge RL is the only Abbey in the US which has retained this custom. The nuns at Immaculate Heart - Congregation of Solesmes - in VT maintained it for a while after coming to the US but have given up the practice in recent years.

First I'd like to suggest that anyone with the wherewithall to do so, visit the Abbey at the first opportunity. It's quite an experience. It is a marvelous, unique and sacred place....at the very least let me suggest the video done about them by Yale, called Ora et Labora. If you are not moved by beautiful grounds, cows and sheep I think you will at least be WOWED by the art and the food... not to mention the fact that the nuns built their Abbey Church themselves from wood which came from their own land. I've cut, piled, stacked, chipped that wood, mended fences, herded sheep and chased a bull back behind his fence in -18 degree weather with these women. They are quite the group of ladies!

As for food and art - goodness they've got some major talent in this area. Mother Praxedes is a fine sculptor who does a LOT with metal and "odd" types of sculture media...just ask the automobile "junk" yard nearby, Mother Placid (I think some of her art is on their web site) is a painter and I believe a sculptor as well (Sr P, Ewie am I right about that?), Mother Perpetua is a master potter, Mother Yadwiga a master handspinner and weaver (I'm a weaver of 20 years and a handspinner of about 5 so I have some experience in that area) and then there is Mother Noella, The coagulated milk Nun. Mother Noella Marcellino, OSB was given permission to pursue (for the benefit of the community ) a doctoral degree in Microbiolgy (actually 2 other nuns did doctorates at the same time) after which she received a Fullbright scholarship to study traditional coagulated milk making in France. She became quite the celebrity there but all of the accolades and all of her study and all of her celebrity are nothing compared to the taste of her coagulated milk....thing is...to get it, you have to eat in the Abbey guest house or receive it as a gift from the nuns. The Abbey of Regina Laudis dairy is only one of, I think two, licensed "raw milk" dairies in the state of Connecticut....last I was helping with the coagulated milk making, they were not able to sell it as it was not being aged enough for "sale"...that may have changed, I don't know.....but sell-able or not, it is MAGNIFICENT to the taste.

Anyway, that's kind of what EWIE, Sr. Praxedes and I "went off topic" about in the last thread...if anyone wants to know more about the videos or links to the Abbey site...let me know, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Pax

(edited for typo)

Edited by gloriagurl

Let's see I believe EWIE, Sr. Praxedes and I were discussing the art and food (which is also very artistic) provided by the nuns at the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Bethleham Connecticut.

Here is the addy for the Abbey and just for the romance of it, the old movie. "Come to the Stable" starring Loretto Young and Celeste Holmn, is a semi-fictionalized account of the founding of the Abbey.

[url="http://www.abbeyofreginalaudis.com/sitelive/index.htm"]http://www.abbeyofreginalaudis.com/sitelive/index.htm[/url]

the lords sheep

I was next door to this abbey this weekend!! Beautiful!

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the prioress a former famous movie actress? She was in movies with Elvis Presley, I think... (not that it matters, but it is interesting)

I also found it interesting, that a few of their sisters have PhDs, one was sent to get one in microbiology (specifically the bacteria for coagulated milk) and received a fullbright grant to study in France. Another studied animal husbandry. When I heard this, I tried to imagine having been in the cloister for a few years, and then being told by the prioress that you are going to go to a University to study animal husbandry of all things! :blink: I wonder what her reaction was....

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the prioress a former famous movie actress? She was in movies with Elvis Presley,

That would be Dolores Hart.

I also found it interesting, that a few of their sisters have PhDs,

I believe that they all do. They are all "professional" women.

I tried to imagine having been in the cloister for a few years, and then being told by the prioress that you are going to go to a University to study animal husbandry of all things! :blink: I wonder what her reaction was....

It was HER choice, actually. She was ready fo it. lol
Prior to entering, she hitch-hiked across the country.

[quote name='EWIE' post='1491871' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:09 PM']And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the prioress a former famous movie actress? She was in movies with Elvis Presley,

That would be Dolores Hart.
I also found it interesting, that a few of their sisters have PhDs,

I believe that they all do. They are all "professional" women.

I tried to imagine having been in the cloister for a few years, and then being told by the prioress that you are going to go to a University to study animal husbandry of all things! :blink: I wonder what her reaction was....
It was HER choice, actually. She was ready fo it. lol
Prior to entering, she hitch-hiked across the country.[/quote]

Yes they are an interesting group of women for sure. Mother Immaculata is a former NY State Senator (and I believe an attorney), Sisters Elizabeth and Immanulle are both attorneys, Mother Dorcas (gazelle) was the first female pediatric gastroententerologist in the US and Sister Angele is a former opera/theater casting agent (a rather well known and successful one at that)....I'm sure there are other interesting stories...and I'm sure there are other monasteries with similar types of women...maybe just not all in one place like this. Mother Augusta's doctoral degree is in Agriculture (specifically land management, I believe) and she "runs the farm" in addition to being (last I knew) Novice Mistress. She drives a mighty fine tractor!!! They have internship programs available in land management, monastic studies and monastic arts...these internships are often a vehicle for discernment and several of the women have entered the community after finishing. Another interesting background is that of Mother Margaret Georgina Patton who is the granddaughter of General George S. Patton - who by the way was the "inspiration" behind Mother Benedicta's founding of the monastery in the first place.....interesting story.

Pax,
Pat

Let's hope that I can answer this post without it being translated into Ebonics (thanks, Perpetualove - did you notice "something" happened to your translation as well?!!!) or some other bizarre thing happening...I'm REALLY trying not to take it personally!

The Reverend Mother Prioress is Mother Dolores Hart, OSB. As far as I know, she does not have her PhD but is considered a professional in her line of work...acting. She retains her membership in the Academy of Motion Pictures, watches all the films every year up for consideration (through DVD - don't get excited, she doesn't leave the Abbey!) and is a voting member of the academy. She was originally given the name of "Judith" and before her solemn profession, the Lady Abbess felt she should "go back" to her "birth name." Before she was the Prioress, she was the Dean of Education for the Abbey, and her work, aside from her photography --- excellent photographs (on their first CD called "Women in Chant" she took the photo that was originally on the cover - of a flower illuminated by light. That front cover photo was later changed to a photo of some of the nuns.) she was the carpenter. She made the coffins for the community, amongst other things. She is currently suffering from a very painful disease - neuropathy - which in her case has affected her feet. She is the national spokeswoman (or was - not sure if they can each year or not). She has done much to educate the public about this disease.

There is a book recently published (I believe last April?) about the Lady Abbess, Mother Benedict Duss, who founded the Abbey. You can purchase it through their website or through another internet book seller.

While many people do think that every nun in the community has their PhD, that is not the case. Many do. Some don't. They value education, but also experience. Some of the nuns have been trained in the classical sense for their work under a "Master," and continue their work in that manner. Some have returned to school to receive higher learning and education, and others have traveled to work under a professional. This is a very individualistic community in which each nun is received as an individual, and decisions are made pertaining to their gifts, talents, needs. I know of one woman who was asked to complete her education, and get an additional degree before entrance, and I know of another who was accepted very quickly.

They focus on "relationship" - to God, to one another, to the Abbey as a whole, to the responsibility of being stewards to the earth. So the discernment process - again - is very individualistic and private - and each person moves at her own pace with the help and direction of the community. Interestingly enough, the community does not have a "Vocation Mistress" per se. If you find yourself interested in the traditional Benedictine life, which in their case includes the chanting of the Divine Office in Latin (I already mentioned they have some CD's out - you can see them on their website) and hard manual labor - you are asked to come for a weekend. They do not believe that you can discern without being present and "seeing/experiencing" the life. You are asked to write for dates and the Guest Mistress will organize the dates with you. After meeting the Mother Portress (last time I checked it was the darling Mother Placid sharing duties with Mother Debborah Joseph) and having some "general" parlor visits with her - and don't be alarmed - yes, she talks a lot - but she is wise, wonderful and discerning with you at every breathe! - you will be "introduced and/or connected" to another nun. Formally, they don't have "extern" nuns, but informally they do. Mother Margaret Georgina Patton is one extern nun, who works with the guests, and takes care of their gorgeous hothouse (which you actually walk through to get to the front door) and does landscaping/gardening. Most likely, on your first visit, you will interact with Mother Margaret Georgina and Mother Placid and then at some point be introduced to a nun whom they feel would relate well to you...based on your personality, your talents (Gloriagurl - the weaver obviously met Mother Jadwiga as an example) or even location. They have nuns from all over the country, so that's often a way of connecting. They do have (at least in my opinion) an unusual amount of highly professional women, from doctors/lawyers/artists to writers.

I recommend getting the first CD. It has an excellent article written on the chant they chose (The Virgin Martyrs) by one of the nuns, and it includes a little interview with the Lady Abbess (the founder, Mother Benedict Duss, RIP). It's a better view into their life, and spirituality than the book that is out right now.

Finally, I too recommend a visit to their Abbey. They are open to women of all sizes and ages. They have grandmothers and young women. They have done an amazing, outstanding, unbelievable job of creating something out of practically nothing. They are faithful to the life and like we have already agreed...the food is amazing! Every time I visited as a guest, I met people from all over the country, from every age, culture and religion. You are invited to participate in their work (which I recommend) but you don't have to. You can attend their Mass and Divine Office, or you can walk the property and reflect. Breakfast (for women - for men, the schedule is different because the men stay in their own guest house) is pick up at the guest house. Fresh milk (from their cows), butter, bread, jams and home made granola. All delicious. "Lunch" is the main meal of the day, taken in a small room off the nuns' own refectory. It is usually a wild collection of who knows what! They are vegetarian (except for the postulants and occasionally a novice or two) - if however, meat has been donated to the Abbey, they will serve it to the guests (after giving some of it to the nuns with permission to eat it). They do eat meat - turkey - for Thanksgiving and Christmas . Lunch usually consists of a left-over (maybe pizza from a Feast Day celebration, some of yesterday's casserole, etc) , a vegetable, an egg dish (quiche, etc.), pasta, salad, fruit, whatever! Lunch always, always, always includes a delicious dessert - my favorite - a chocolate/yellow marbled cake with chocolate sauce and ice cream! YUM. At lunch, just like at dinner (and in monastic tradition, they reverse the terms - I'm using the standard American format for clarity), you can pick and choose whatever you want. So...you are not under any obligation to eat everything you are given! Dinner, delicious. The most amazing, fresh coagulated milk...ever! and bread (fresh!), and a soup (sometimes soup is served at lunch, but every day soup IS served) and finally, a wonderful, fresh, healthy salad. This is a light dinner and dessert is not served though sometimes fresh fruit is offered. (Oranges, etc.) Many of their vegetables (if not most) are from their own garden.

Other than the nuns who act as extern nuns, you most likely will not have the opportunity to interact with the other nuns within the community. You might see them walking around (they do farm, and the property is large, so one will sometimes see them walking) and while, if approached, they are usually friendly, they are nuns, and not really open to chit-chat.

This is a place where clothing is totally not an issue...in fact, if you do go, and plan on working, know that you will work HARD. Bring jeans and boots that you could care less about!

They do live the cloistered life, but it is constitutional enclosure, and for a perfect understanding of that, see Gloriagurl's thread. You might see on their website the nuns pictured here and there with the guests - note it is really one or two of the nuns you see the most, do not go expecting to get a good idea of the whole community in your first visit.

Two more things...unlike other religious communities in the United States (and I CANNOT speak of communities, congregations or orders outside of this country), Regina Laudis has retained the Rite of Consecration of Virgins. They do this separately from the profession ceremony. It is a Rite entirely unique unto itself and is performed by the Bishop. This is a very special aspect of this Abbey and very rare. Many communities will tell you that at solemn vows, the nun is consecrated as a Virgin. This consecration is very different than the Rite that is celebrated at Regina Laudis. This is the ancient Rite that was often seen as part of the process of professed Benedictine Nuns, though many other orders did institute this as well. My research has shown that it is most often seen as a Benedictine practice. Gloriagurl...you might know more about this?!

Finally, Regina Laudis is very different in how they approach vocations. Remember I spoke about relationships?! They see a woman's desire to give herself competely to God as the beginning of a relationship - again, between God, the community, the Church, etc. They DO NOT rush the process. Unlike many other communities, they do not push or aggressively encourage. They do not give you a million reasons why you have to "come now," and they allow the Holy Spirit to move gently. They are willing (for the most part - at least what I have seen) to wait, to encourage, to offer support, to help, but definitely not in a pushy manner. I have known at least three women (maybe more) who felt put-off and maybe even discouraged by this attitude. It is very, very different than the usual vocation approach to religious life. Some with far more experience than I have thought this to mean they are living out Benedict's exhortation to "not make it easy" for someone to enter (that is my paraphrasing of the RB!). Whatever the case, they are different. I would compare them to a seasoned horse trainer who stands still and awaits the wild horse to approach HIM. This can feel very different to women who have been on "nun runs" and the discernment circuit...who are showered with attention, slide shows, power point presentations and lots of encouragement! You won't find that here.

What will find are very mature and sensible women, a true Benedictine life balanced with hard work and prayer, a constant striving for excellence, and has already been mentioned....more than once!...delicious coagulated milk, bread, butter, jams, hand lotions, and art! Lots of glorious art!

Pax,

Praxedes

Marieteresa

Wow, RL seems like a very exceptional place indeed. I have a question though, it seems to me that most of the community is very gifted in their particular field. Whether it be a PHD, or Master such and such do they have any sisters who aren't? I am aware that a sister may enter without a Masters and then is encouraged to pursue a degree while in formation or to gain a considerable amount of knowledge in a particular field.
Also, I know they had a some issues years back, has that been addressed? Thanks for your insight

Guest Perpetualove

I, too, really really really the word we can't say the coagulated milk!

I can answer this (or at least I think I can)!!!

I think the unusual and amazing thing about RL is that they try to bring forth from each woman whatever it is that makes her special. Perhaps you don't have a PhD or you weren't a Senator...but you have something that makes you totally gifted and unique. The work of the community (insofar as has been explained to me and based upon what I have witnessed/experienced) is to draw that forth. It might be something that you discover there, or it might be something that is already present, just waiting for some sort of refinement. It could be something like creating website pages, or acting as the Guest Mistress, or whatever....it doesn't have to be a HUGE thing.

As for the issues; they were covered in the book though to be completely honest, not to my satisfaction for I thought the author presented it only from the Abbey's perspective. I would have liked to have heard from some of the critics. (For those of you who don't know, the Abbey was accused of inappropriate practices by former members - some say disgruntled former members - and the Vatican stepped in. So as not to cause a scandal, the foundress Abbess stepped aside and relinquished control to the Prioress, now the Abbess. She did this quietly and with much dignity.) They were actually completely and totally "investigated" by a Vatican representative, for a number of years and were "cleared" (if that is possible after such an event) of anything inappropriate. The current Abbess (who was formally elected), The Reverend Mother David Serna, OSB, is fully functioning (as far as I know at this moment) as an Abbess and the Vatican has withdrawn all concerns/investigations.

When the last Rite of Consecration was done, it was done with the full permission and blessing of the Bishop.

I know they are in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church and their diocese.

Praxedes...did I answer correctly?! Anymore to add?!

The "issues" have been completely resolved in favor of the Community. Not an uncommon problem when it comes to the founding of new monasteries/orders.
Just read the lives of almost any of the founding Fathers/Mothers.

genesisweavers

[quote name='gloriagurl' post='1487931' date='Mar 29 2008, 04:09 PM']cmotherofpirl wrote that something I responded to sounded interesting and asked that a new thread be started...so here it is...

It appears that all three of us are well acquainted with the community - particularly with Mothers Praxedes, Placid and Noella. Mother Noella is the coagulated milk Nun and in the last couple of years an absolutely wonderful documentary was done about her. I believe it aired on PBS a couple of years ago. I'd be willing to bet you can find it at Amazon or some other internet movie seller.

For clarity purposes, just in case some don't know this....all solemnly professed nuns at RL are titled Rev Mother and are called Mother (esp by those in the community) though many of them will introduce themselves as Sister for humility's sake and I believe, MAYBE A LITTLE BIT because then they don't have to explain themselves quite so much to the many people who visit the Abbey. It is a French Benedictine custom (RL was founded from Jouarre) to call the solemnly professed, Mother - just as it is English to call them Dame....to my knowledge RL is the only Abbey in the US which has retained this custom. The nuns at Immaculate Heart - Congregation of Solesmes - in VT maintained it for a while after coming to the US but have given up the practice in recent years.

First I'd like to suggest that anyone with the wherewithall to do so, visit the Abbey at the first opportunity. It's quite an experience. It is a marvelous, unique and sacred place....at the very least let me suggest the video done about them by Yale, called Ora et Labora. If you are not moved by beautiful grounds, cows and sheep I think you will at least be WOWED by the art and the food... not to mention the fact that the nuns built their Abbey Church themselves from wood which came from their own land. I've cut, piled, stacked, chipped that wood, mended fences, herded sheep and chased a bull back behind his fence in -18 degree weather with these women. They are quite the group of ladies!

As for food and art - goodness they've got some major talent in this area. Mother Praxedes is a fine sculptor who does a LOT with metal and "odd" types of sculture media...just ask the automobile "junk" yard nearby, Mother Placid (I think some of her art is on their web site) is a painter and I believe a sculptor as well (Sr P, Ewie am I right about that?), Mother Perpetua is a master potter, Mother Yadwiga a master handspinner and weaver (I'm a weaver of 20 years and a handspinner of about 5 so I have some experience in that area) and then there is Mother Noella, The coagulated milk Nun. Mother Noella Marcellino, OSB was given permission to pursue (for the benefit of the community ) a doctoral degree in Microbiolgy (actually 2 other nuns did doctorates at the same time) after which she received a Fullbright scholarship to study traditional coagulated milk making in France. She became quite the celebrity there but all of the accolades and all of her study and all of her celebrity are nothing compared to the taste of her coagulated milk....thing is...to get it, you have to eat in the Abbey guest house or receive it as a gift from the nuns. The Abbey of Regina Laudis dairy is only one of, I think two, licensed "raw milk" dairies in the state of Connecticut....last I was helping with the coagulated milk making, they were not able to sell it as it was not being aged enough for "sale"...that may have changed, I don't know.....but sell-able or not, it is MAGNIFICENT to the taste.

Anyway, that's kind of what EWIE, Sr. Praxedes and I "went off topic" about in the last thread...if anyone wants to know more about the videos or links to the Abbey site...let me know, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Pax

(edited for typo)[/quote]

genesisweavers

Mother Jadwiga is a friend of mine. I didn't realize she had earned the Master Spinner status. Is she also a Master Weaver? These accomplishments are really extraordinary and take years to achieve.

I'm also a weaver.

your brother
john

[quote name='genesisweavers' post='1492918' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:27 AM']Mother Jadwiga is a friend of mine. I didn't realize she had earned the Master Spinner status. Is she also a Master Weaver? These accomplishments are really extraordinary and take years to achieve.

I'm also a weaver.

your brother
john[/quote]

It's nice to meet a brother weaver.....I believe Mother Jadwiga has earned the Master status....though I am not 100% sure....if she hasn't actually formally earned it, in my humble weaving opinion, she certainly deserves it.

Pax

genesisweavers

[quote name='gloriagurl' post='1493906' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:00 PM']It's nice to meet a brother weaver.....I believe Mother Jadwiga has earned the Master status....though I am not 100% sure....if she hasn't actually formally earned it, in my humble weaving opinion, she certainly deserves it.

Pax[/quote]

genesisweavers

Did you know that the staions of the cross in the lower monastery were hand carved by Mother Placid? And also - Mother Jerome was a very knowledgable natural dyer. She once told me she would hang hanks of yarn on the fire escape to test their light fastness. If you have never read the obituary for Mother Jerome it's somewhere on their web site. The Abbey is definitely filled with intriguing women but Mother Jerome takes the cake. SHE WAS A PRINCESS!

I have very little to add (I think I gave you all an "eye-full" so to speak at the very beginning, and you filled in the others spots beautifully.

Yes, Ewie, lots of communities that just start out often have the kinds of problems that RL has encountered, though to be honest (and perhaps one-sided! sorry, Perpetualove!) I believe some of the trials they endured was due to their success and impressive growth. I'm not sure a monastic community that wasn't so successful and self reliant would have suffered the same degree of scrutiny.

And genesisweaver...I cannot seem to find Mother Jerome's obit on their website. It was on there for quite a time, but is no longer available to my eye. She was gifted beyond all comprehension, and her books of poetry are still being sold in their giftshop. Her story was quite amazing (as was her obit) and my favorite part...she didn't enter until her 50's!

Perhaps someone with more access and who is more tech-savvy than me can produce it! It's well worth reading again, and again, and again!

Praxedes