An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should You Have The Right To Wear Any Tshirt You Want?

Lil Red

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='picchick' post='1485970' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:44 PM']I think that the founding fathers meant for freedom of speech to be one that is not insultive to the public. I think that pro-life shirts and shirts that show that you stand up for a cause is fine. I knew a kid who wore a pro-abstinence shirt to school on St. Valentine's Day. The teachers made him cover up the words with duct tape.

I do not like the fcuk shirts. Those are insultive. Even if it does not say the true curse people's minds can automatically switch the lettering. Anything that degrades another human being is insultive. Any t-shirt that can cause sin is insultive.

Meg[/quote]
Fear of a word is silly.

I say schools are perfectly within their rights to restrict wearing of "message tees" on school grounds, or to impose other dress codes (which until fairly recent decades were the norm in most schools.)
In the "old days" boys usually had to wear shirt and tie to school, girls skirt and blouse.

The idea that the first amendment right to free speech means total and aboslute "freedom of expression" is an invention of '60s-era Lefty politics.
Kids have no more "right" to wear obscene or offensive messages on their t-shirts than to spend the day screaming obscenities at people.

If people have an absolute right to "self-expression," then what's to prevent a student from coming to school in the buff as a form of "self-expression"? (I believe this was actually an issue on some college campuses.)

And I think most "free speech" liberals would be against kids kids wearing shirts with racist or even "anti-gay" statements on them to school.

I just think if schools ban shirts with certain "controversial" political messages, they should be consistant and ban all message tees, hats, etc., rather than only banning those they deem "controversial" or politically-incorrect.

Edited by Socrates