An Old School Catholic Message Board

Getting Drunk

those are good signs, soc.

[quote]2) You do things that are out of character or that you would otherwise never think of doing (not just being a bit sillier or louder than normal)[/quote]

though as I explained, there is a difference between doing what you would otherwise never think of doing, and doing what you ought not to do. there are a lot of people who would never think of saying "i love you" to their best friend but might do so when they're drunk, and that's actually a good effect of alcohol because it's breaking down barriers that needn't be there.

which is why I say it's important to an extent who you're drinking with as to what level of hilarity you can get to. the same level of drinking might result in an "i love you man" to a good friend or a fist fight with someone you really hate... the barrier against fist fights absolutely ought to remain intact whereas the barrier against i love yous to good friends is fine to get rid of from time to time.

but yes, definitely if you 1) get sick or 2) have memory loss or 3) lose control of yourself, you're drunk in the sense of sin.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1484691' date='Mar 26 2008, 12:44 PM']though as I explained, there is a difference between doing what you would otherwise never think of doing, and doing what you ought not to do. there are a lot of people who would never think of saying "i love you" to their best friend but might do so when they're drunk, and that's actually a good effect of alcohol because it's breaking down barriers that needn't be there.[/quote]

True dude.

does this apply to medicines too?

because i have a medication that makes me :crazy: and act a little :drunk:

i hope not. lol.

Edited by rachael

[quote name='rachael' post='1485577' date='Mar 27 2008, 05:53 AM']does this apply to medicines too?

because i have a medication that makes me :crazy: and act a little :drunk:

i hope not. lol.[/quote]

Is THAT why you said you loved me?

:sadwalk:

Galloglasses

This thread does not reflect well on me D:

Just kidding, getting drunk is not a sin, alcoholism is. Think about it.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1486911' date='Mar 28 2008, 03:57 PM']Is THAT why you said you loved me?

:sadwalk:[/quote]
:bigshock:

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1488969' date='Mar 30 2008, 05:28 PM']This thread does not reflect well on me D:

Just kidding, getting drunk is not a sin, alcoholism is. Think about it.[/quote]
Getting drunk is a sin. Alcoholism is a disease.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1489008' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:41 PM']Can either side post official Church stance?[/quote]
From the Baltimore Catechism:

"Q. 305. What kind of a sin is drunkenness?

A. Drunkenness is a sin of gluttony by which a person deprives himself of the use of his reason by the excessive taking of intoxicating drink.

Q. 306. Is drunkenness always a mortal sin?

A. Deliberate drunkenness is always a mortal sin if the person be completely deprived of the use of reason by it, but drunkenness that is not intended or desired may be excused from mortal sin."

From The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air. "

[quote name='Socrates' post='1489038' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:50 PM']Getting drunk is a sin. Alcoholism is a disease.

A. Drunkenness is a sin of gluttony by which a person deprives himself of the use of his reason by the excessive taking of intoxicating drink.

A. Deliberate drunkenness is always a mortal sin if the person be completely deprived of the use of reason by it, but drunkenness that is not intended or desired may be excused from mortal sin."

"2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air. "[/quote]
...and with that the debate ends for all serious catholics :smokey:

[quote name='Socrates' post='1489038' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:50 PM']Getting drunk is a sin. Alcoholism is a disease.

"2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air. "[/quote]

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1489195' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:59 PM']...and with that the debate ends for all serious catholics :smokey:[/quote]

What about Catholics who have a hard time being serious (except when it comes to following the Mageserium)?

I see things like this (I haven't read this thread by the way).

Jesus would never encourage sin.

Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine and getting people who were already "feeling good" even more drunk (John 2).

So how could drinking be a sin???

I think that the RESULTS of drinking are the sin. If one loses all reasoning, they are sinning, if one can not control themselves, that is a sin. The drinking itself is arbitrary, it is the ultimate outcome that is often the problem.

Edited by prose

[quote name='prose' post='1489575' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:07 PM']I see things like this (I haven't read this thread by the way).

Jesus would never encourage sin.

Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine and getting people who were already "feeling good" even more drunk (John 2).

So how could drinking be a sin???

I think that the RESULTS of drinking are the sin. If one loses all reasoning, they are sinning, if one can not control themselves, that is a sin. The drinking itself is arbitrary, it is the ultimate outcome that is often the problem.[/quote]
Perhaps you should read the thread before posting therein.

Drinking deliberately to get drunk is a sin of gluttony. Drinking in moderation is not.