An Old School Catholic Message Board

Acorns And Eggs

dairygirl4u2c

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, none of your choices are morally wrong. Anyhow, I don't think that killing trees is [i]exactly[/i] the same as stepping on acorns (which I do all the time 'cause it's fun). Trees have been growing for years; it's always a shame to see them cut down simply because they're pretty to look at and because they benefit the environment. The funny thing is, I really don't see much of a difference between killing chickens and killing chicken eggs.

If I remember correctly, I think I've seen you bring this up in abortion debates. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it'd seem your logic is this: Acorns are to trees as embryos are to human beings; therefore, if crushing acorns isn't the same as killing trees, then killing embryos isn't the same as killing adult human beings. Am I right? I apologize if I've misrepresented your views and/or your argument.

If that is your argument, I disagree with it, as I don't think the two are comparable. An acorn from an oak tree and the oak tree itself are both, say, [i]Quercus robur[/i]. What I mean by that is that the acorn isn't considered to be a different species from the tree it came from, so in that sense, killing acorns and killing trees [i]could[/i] be considered the same. The difference, I think, is that trees are further developed, so like I said, it's not exactly the same. Killing a small, young tree would also be different from killing a giant Sequoia, but killing a newborn baby or a toddler would be no different from killing an adult. Why? Well, like I wrote in a previous thread, embryos are the start of human life. There are no degrees of human personhood because any attempts to separate human life from human personhood is rather arbitrary.

Edited by BeenaBobba

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1486628' date='Mar 28 2008, 11:36 AM']I guess so. And I was quite surprised to see they'd been fertilised, though the only time it [b]really [/b]bothered me was when there was clearly a baby chick there (about 1.5cm long). :sick:[/quote]

Ahhh! There was a baby chicken in there?!! :eek:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='BeenaBobba' post='1486853' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:38 PM']Ahhh! There was a baby chicken in there?!! :eek:[/quote]
Yeah, pretty much grossed me out. Even more so since I hate chicken (it's pretty funny, though, b/c my husband doesn't eat eggs and I don't eat chicken).