An Old School Catholic Message Board

Acorns And Eggs

dairygirl4u2c

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

pretty much... yes. of course, human beings have the moral right to kill plants and animals for their sustinence, so it's all good :cool:

dairygirl4u2c

i have a feeling this poll is going to go down on semantics... like what do you mean by "effectively" and all the way it is or isn't like killing a tree or chicken.

no and no. Not all acorns turn into trees so one would not know if by crushing an acorn, a tree would cease to be.
The eggs I get are unfertilized and therefore will never turn into a chicken so crushing one just eliminates and egg and creates a big mess.
Hmm. Sounds good though. I think I will go fry an egg.

Yes and no.

As Deb said, most chicken eggs are unfertilized.

And as Al said, killing plants and animals for food isn't immoral.

Some acorns actually germinate better when their shell is breached. The white oak acorn also makes an excellent flour. I used to make cinnamon rolls out of acorn flour. Swamp white oak acorns have the best flavor.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1481560' date='Mar 22 2008, 02:46 PM']As Deb said, most chicken eggs are unfertilized.[/quote]
Unfortunately roughly half of the eggs I get are fertilised, on average (more if I get free range, less if I get caged).

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1481626' date='Mar 22 2008, 10:45 AM']Unfortunately roughly half of the eggs I get are fertilised, on average (more if I get free range, less if I get caged).[/quote]

I know some people that only eat fertilized eggs...

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1481626' date='Mar 22 2008, 12:45 PM']Unfortunately roughly half of the eggs I get are fertilised, on average (more if I get free range, less if I get caged).[/quote]

Do you get yours direct from the farmer? I know I saw that more often when I did but, not that often.

I used to eat acorns when I was a child. They are quite bitter.

In the Philippines they eat them almost to term. I eat some strange stuff, but that's even over my line.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Deb' post='1481653' date='Mar 22 2008, 05:17 PM']Do you get yours direct from the farmer? I know I saw that more often when I did but, not that often.[/quote]
Nope - I get them from Asda supermarket.

I am wondering if you are making a point with these polls...

Crushing an acorn would not be the same as killing a tree because an acorn is not a tree. It has to be germinated to even start being a tree.

Breaking an egg is not killing a chicken unless it is a fertilized egg. Any egg I break will hopefully not have a chick in it or the store/company would have a serious talking to by me....

Meg

Autumn Dusk

Almost all eggs that are mass produced (in a grocery store) now are from hens who never see a rooster.

And that is necessary for fertilization.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1481626' date='Mar 22 2008, 01:45 PM']Unfortunately roughly half of the eggs I get are fertilised, on average (more if I get free range, less if I get caged).[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but doesn't this mean that the farmer collecting the eggs is gathering from nests where the hen has been setting on her eggs? Thats kinda bizarre. I don't know any farmers who collect eggs from setting hens and eat them. My grandma did that once and gathered so many she gave them to her sisters (my grandfather usually took care of the barn chores, she thought she was doing him a favor); imagine their shock when they went to fry eggs the next morning and found more than a sunny yellow yolk in that shell! :mellow: My in laws raise chickens (for eating and for eggs) and they always know which nests the hens are setting on and which ones to gather eggs from.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1486536' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:45 PM']Correct me if I'm wrong.... but doesn't this mean that the farmer collecting the eggs is gathering from nests where the hen has been setting on her eggs? Thats kinda bizarre. I don't know any farmers who collect eggs from setting hens and eat them. My grandma did that once and gathered so many she gave them to her sisters (my grandfather usually took care of the barn chores, she thought she was doing him a favor); imagine their shock when they went to fry eggs the next morning and found more than a sunny yellow yolk in that shell! :mellow: My in laws raise chickens (for eating and for eggs) and they always know which nests the hens are setting on and which ones to gather eggs from.[/quote]
I guess so. And I was quite surprised to see they'd been fertilised, though the only time it [b]really [/b]bothered me was when there was clearly a baby chick there (about 1.5cm long). :sick: