An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Get Out Of The Perpetual Discernment Group

Marieteresa

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1480223' date='Mar 19 2008, 05:48 PM']Just wondering if there are any other individuals in this same boat of perpetual discernment. Also suggestions on removing one self from that group. Oh for those who don't know what perpetual discernment group is....Its a person who pretty much stays in discernment and doesn't take any real action toward religious life, makes excuses to why a community isn't a perfect fit. Any suggestions would be great![/quote]

By making a Novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Discernment? But instead of 9 days, it goes for 99 days...

The answer is probably different for everyone because there might be any number of reasons why someone is stuck in perpetual discernment. Some of them probably aren't called to religious life, so naturally they won't feel like they "belong" in any community. Others may have too high of standards or expectations, especially for the individuals within a community. Maybe others struggle with making the necessary sacrifices. Our generation (at least in the Western world) is one of the first in history that remains unmarried well into our 20s while enjoying many freedoms. It's difficult to give that up, but you have to when the time comes for marriage/consecration/ordination.

As for me, freedom is a struggle to sacrifice, but I think the deeper issue that I'm not comfortable with is trusting the Church to confirm whether I have a vocation to the priesthood.

AccountDeleted

I got been thinking about 'dis a lot Andy please challenge me anyone if 'dis seems wrong, but just like dating, shouldn't one at least try a few live-ins wit' communities ta' see if 'dis is ninja what!? vey want? I mean there is a difference between perpetual discerning Andy perpetual "online" discerning. If one is doing it all online, then it is like doing tha' email dating scene - never meeting anyone.

I think 'dat if someone has done quite a few live-ins Andy still can't discern even tha' Order where one wants ta' be (tha' charism), then we might got a case oven "fascination" as opposed ta' a "vocation" but if all tha' discerning has been done online Andy via email, then maybe its time ta' put a "toe in tha' water" hmmmmm??? Just thinking out loud.