An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cut-off Age

Gemma

What are PMers finding are the consistent "cut-off" ages for religious communities?

35? 45? Or what?

TIA.

Blessings,
Gemma

Maria_Faustina

I've seen 35 more than 45, but more often than either it's right in the middle at 40. Most communites include the "but exceptions can be made" line too. The youngest I've seen is 30, and only from one order.

praying4carmel

I still want to know the attrition rate at these monasteries and orders. Does someone keep track of such stats??

[quote name='praying4carmel' post='1476142' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:40 AM']I still want to know the attrition rate at these monasteries and orders. Does someone keep track of such stats??[/quote]

About all I can say is that the retention rate has increased. There is some attrition of final professed, but it's low.

I noticed today that the Cistercians in Wisconsin have five novices and three postulants. I'm almost willing to bet that they all came in from internet inquiries. They're all young.

Some monasteries have been through 20 years of "many come and gone," and once they started working with us (Cloister Outreach), their retention rate went up.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1475926' date='Mar 11 2008, 09:48 PM']I've seen 35 more than 45, but more often than either it's right in the middle at 40. Most communites include the "but exceptions can be made" line too. The youngest I've seen is 30, and only from one order.[/quote]

We (Cloister Outreach) are trying to tackle the exact age of what a "late" vocation really is.

We're considering a yahoo group for discerners of that age only. Just a concept, though. If the discerners say they want something like that, we'll do it. Late vocations seem to bring along their own set of discouragements, alongside those of the TLM vocations.

Blessings,
Gemma

the lords sheep

I've really only looked at active orders or active-contemplative orders, but 35 or 40 is typical, and although I've seen the "exceptions can be made" line, I have seen very few "exceptions" enter the orders.
That being said, I know almost nothing about monasteries.

i notice that the new
'Franciscan Tertiary Sisters of the Immaculate' and diocesan offshoot of the FFI Sisters, take older vocations (like alot of more Traditional/Radical Franciscans, look at each individual case, being that the lifestyle can be too mcuh anyways for older folks to start out in.)
any way i like how they call older vocations.."delayed vocations"

[i]The Sisters live in community, wear a traditional habit, and are in total conformity with the church magisterium. Under the guidance of the FI priests, the Sisters share the same charism and spirituality as the FI missionary friars and Sisters, and also evangelize through mission appeals to support the FI missions. The formation program consists of aspirancy, postulancy, novitiate, and profession. [b]The Sisters accept candidates beginning with the age of 18, as well as delayed vocations.[/b] They have one retreat Sunday a month, make a variety of novenas during the year, pray the Stations of the Cross, Franciscan crown and have choir practice as well as other spiritual exercises throughout the month.[/i]
fer more..
[url="http://www.marymediatrix.com/religious-life/franciscan-tertiary-sisters-of-the-immaculate/"]http://www.marymediatrix.com/religious-lif...the-immaculate/[/url]
PAX

Here's the beef:

[url="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/delayed_vocations/"]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/delayed_vocations/[/url]

Must be age 30 or older to join.

Blessings,
Gemma

cathoholic_anonymous

Here in England very few orders have cut-off ages. This is partly because we are severely in need of priests and religious. However, I have met a lot of sisters who dislike the whole concept of a cut-off, believing that a candidate should be evaluated independently of her age. This idea may be more prevalent in England than America. I don't know.