An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations Group/book

Do any of y'all know of a book (I think) is called "Sisters" and it's about becoming a nun... Some seniors at my school have to read it for their theology class... Of course, they're all complaining about it- but I actually want to read it! Haha... Oh, we're all so different sometimes. Anyways, I was worried about asking them to borrow it/know more about it... Do any of y'all???

Secondly- I'm going to a women's vocations group on Sundays at a university here- it started this week but my friend and I both couldn't go for various reasons, soooooo I'll be there next Sunday! YEY!!!!!!
I'M SO EXCITED!

Guadalupe23

Hmm...I looked on Amazon, I have never heard of it. Do you know who wrote it? Is it pretty good? Let us know when you find out more about it. Peace!

I will def. let you know... I'm not sure of the exact name. I emailed one of the senior theology teachers, so I will post the name once she responds!!!!
It's supposed to be pretty good, especially for young people, so I'm excited. : D

TotusTuusMaria

Is this it? [url="http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Inside-Vocations-Kathleen-Rooney/dp/0884897109"]http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Inside-Vocat...y/dp/0884897109[/url]

I bought this book about a year and a half ago at Pauline, and I really didn't like it. The sister who wrote it does not wear the habit and, from reading it, had a bit of a more "progressive" tone. Those were my thoughts on the book. I threw it out. That was a long while back. It is difficult to remember but I think maybe there was a few things that were good to know in it or a couple stories that were interesting little reads, but other then that... not so much, in my opinion. I think a better book could be written concerning the points she discusses in the book.

And I believe that in the book she encourages all those discerning to get some "real life experience" before entering. She suggests dating and going to college before entering, and discourages entering out of high school. That was a real turn-off for me. St. Therese entered when she was 15. Mary became the Mother of God at 14ish. St. Teresa of Avila entered at 21. St. Teresa of the Andes entered at 19. Most of the sisters I just returned from visiting entered after high school. There is nothing wrong with entering younger, and I still fail to see how dating and discerning makes things easier.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Mari Therese

I read it through the Daughters of St. Paul too. It's an O.K. book. It gave a very broad view of religious life, but not bad for a quick read that sums up the main points of religious life. It had a fairly good description about the vows, when I was just starting to discern.

Sadly, sadly, SADLY. I just asked a senior if that was it... and it is.

She doesn't wear a habit? I don't want to read it that much anymore...

I'm sorry, but I have a very large respect for nuns who follow tradition and what (I believe) they are still called to do even after Vatican II... Egh, another story...

Well, thank you!!!

Guest Perpetualove

I read it, too. Not too exciting. Read "A Right To Be Merry" by Mother Mary Francis, "Forth and Abroad" (same author), "Story of a Soul" (read that first, you will be in heaven!) by Saint Therese, "In This House of Brede," by Rumer Godden. I have a whole list of wonderful books on "real" nuns, I would be happy to pass along the list to you if you want. Just PM me. I know there is a book list on this list for those in discernment, and so check that out, also! Let me know if I can help! Perpetualove

Laudem Gloriae

To add to perpetualove's great list:

- "My Beloved - The Story of a Carmelite Nun" by Mother Catherine Thomas

- "Leonie Martin - A Difficult Life" by Marie Baudouin-Croix on St. Therese's blood sister

- "He is My Heaven: The Life of Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity" by Jennifer Moorcroft available at [url="http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/booksbe.php"]http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/booksbe.php[/url]

- "Celine - Sister Genevieve of the Holy Face" by Stephane-Joseph Piat, OFM on St. Therese's blood sister

- "The Autobiography of Saint Margaret Mary"

- "The Life of Saint Margaret Mary"

- "Madame de Chantal: Portrait of a Saint" by Elizabeth Stopp on St. Jane de Chantal co-foundress of the Visitation order with St. Francis de Sales available at [url="http://www.desalesresource.org/classics.asp"]http://www.desalesresource.org/classics.asp[/url]

- "Walled in Light" by Mother Mary Francis, PCC bio of St. Colette of Corbie, reformer of the Poor Clare Colettines

- bios on St. Clare of Assisi

- "Flame of Joy" by Sr. Marie-Angelique of Jesus, OCD, Carmel of Pontoise (1893-1919)

- "Blessed Marie Celine of the Presentation - Germaine Castang 1878-1897" compiled by the Poor Clare Colettine nuns of Rockford, IL

- "Tyburn Hill of Glory" by the Tyburn Benedictine Nuns of London, UK on their foundress Mother Mary of St. Peter and the founding of Tyburn Convent/Tyburn Martyrs

And well I could go on forever! I do have so many more - newer and older - I'd get carpal tunnel writing them all! But just because a bio or story is on a nun/sister that lived along time ago, doesn't make it applicable to today. The call, love of God and wanting to love, serve, adore, praise and do His will as His spouse spans the ages and time.

Wahoo! Thank you. I will check those out.

I was actually reading about "A Right to Be Merry" last night... I'll def. look into it!

Thank y'all again! : D

[quote name='29908' post='1475843' date='Mar 11 2008, 07:37 PM']Wahoo! Thank you. I will check those out.

I was actually reading about "A Right to Be Merry" last night... I'll def. look into it!

Thank y'all again! : D[/quote]

Ahhhh....A RIGHT TO BE MERRY......did you know that's a quote from the life of the Anchoress of Lynn? Yes, Margery Kempe.....the excerpt is in the beginning of the book (at least in my edition of it)....here it is:

"Our Lord told margery kempe, the anchoress of Lynn, that her enclosed life of union with Him gave Him the greatest satisfaction, and gave her "as great a right to be merry as any lady in the world."

ISN'T THAT JUST FANTASTIC??????

If I may be so bold as to give very direct advice, Read the book.....it's just so lovely and romantic....and in my opinion there's not a thing wrong with romance in any lifestyle, as long as it's kept in balance and not the "only" motivation or perspective....my goodness, what would the world be like without romance???? <big smile>

littlesister

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1475411' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:49 PM']Is this it? [url="http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Inside-Vocations-Kathleen-Rooney/dp/0884897109"]http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Inside-Vocat...y/dp/0884897109[/url]

I bought this book about a year and a half ago at Pauline, and I really didn't like it. The sister who wrote it does not wear the habit and, from reading it, had a bit of a more "progressive" tone. Those were my thoughts on the book. I threw it out. That was a long while back. It is difficult to remember but I think maybe there was a few things that were good to know in it or a couple stories that were interesting little reads, but other then that... not so much, in my opinion. I think a better book could be written concerning the points she discusses in the book.

And I believe that in the book she encourages all those discerning to get some "real life experience" before entering. She suggests dating and going to college before entering, and discourages entering out of high school. That was a real turn-off for me. St. Therese entered when she was 15. Mary became the Mother of God at 14ish. St. Teresa of Avila entered at 21. St. Teresa of the Andes entered at 19. Most of the sisters I just returned from visiting entered after high school. There is nothing wrong with entering younger, and I still fail to see how dating and discerning makes things easier.[/quote]
From one who has been there: Yes, entering young has its advantages. Having some life experience after high school also has its advantages, which may not be obvious in the immediate when the wait seems s-o-o- l-o-n-g. The advantage comes later on, when the Father of Lies starts suggesting that having a career...a romance...a family... freedom in general... would be so much better an idea than being trapped in religious life : no freedom, romance, money, career, etc. etc. and so forth. (It's usually pretty much the same litany. He isn't very creative.) THEN one knows that the wait wasn't a bad thing, because you've seen all that and know that his rosy picture has a downside that of course he's not showing : job stresses or - worse - losses, financial problems, challenging environments for both faith and virtue, fights with the boyfriend and/or heartbreaking break-ups, unfortunate marital matches, all sorts of child-bearing and child-raising problems...
I surely don't mean to downgrade the married or single vocations, but a good dose of realism is not a bad thing for those who are called elsewhere. For these very rasons, many communities require a wait after high school, even if a degree is not expected. This is not the world that it was a generation ogo. So...patience. All things come to those who wait, and the prize is worth every minute of it.

So in the end, did you find the book? There are so many out there...and some of those mentioned here I read years ago when I was thinking of entering religiuos life. So in some regards, there is not a whole lot of new information on the topic, I guess...

In the meantime, I'll be praying for you!

[quote name='littlesister' post='1476883' date='Mar 13 2008, 05:05 PM']From one who has been there: Yes, entering young has its advantages. Having some life experience after high school also has its advantages, which may not be obvious in the immediate when the wait seems s-o-o- l-o-n-g. The advantage comes later on, when the Father of Lies starts suggesting that having a career...a romance...a family... freedom in general... would be so much better an idea than being trapped in religious life : no freedom, romance, money, career, etc. etc. and so forth. (It's usually pretty much the same litany. He isn't very creative.) THEN one knows that the wait wasn't a bad thing, because you've seen all that and know that his rosy picture has a downside that of course he's not showing : job stresses or - worse - losses, financial problems, challenging environments for both faith and virtue, fights with the boyfriend and/or heartbreaking break-ups, unfortunate marital matches, all sorts of child-bearing and child-raising problems...
I surely don't mean to downgrade the married or single vocations, but a good dose of realism is not a bad thing for those who are called elsewhere. For these very rasons, many communities require a wait after high school, even if a degree is not expected. This is not the world that it was a generation ogo. So...patience. All things come to those who wait, and the prize is worth every minute of it.[/quote]
Little Sister, these are true words of wisdom...I'm impressed - but for your wise words, I doubt you are all that little! :rolleyes:

the lords sheep

[quote name='littlesister' post='1476883' date='Mar 13 2008, 04:05 PM']From one who has been there: Yes, entering young has its advantages. Having some life experience after high school also has its advantages, which may not be obvious in the immediate when the wait seems s-o-o- l-o-n-g. The advantage comes later on, when the Father of Lies starts suggesting that having a career...a romance...a family... freedom in general... would be so much better an idea than being trapped in religious life : no freedom, romance, money, career, etc. etc. and so forth. (It's usually pretty much the same litany. He isn't very creative.) THEN one knows that the wait wasn't a bad thing, because you've seen all that and know that his rosy picture has a downside that of course he's not showing : job stresses or - worse - losses, financial problems, challenging environments for both faith and virtue, fights with the boyfriend and/or heartbreaking break-ups, unfortunate marital matches, all sorts of child-bearing and child-raising problems...
I surely don't mean to downgrade the married or single vocations, but a good dose of realism is not a bad thing for those who are called elsewhere. For these very rasons, many communities require a wait after high school, even if a degree is not expected. This is not the world that it was a generation ogo. So...patience. All things come to those who wait, and the prize is worth every minute of it.[/quote]

Well, I know that I am neither as experienced nor as wise as littlesister, but I can tell you that there are definite advantages to both. If everything had operated according to my timeline, I would have entered when I left high school. But I knew that the time wasn't right, so I applied to colleges rather than looking at orders. Now, four years later, I can't believe how quickly it has all flown by! I have really REALLY grown in these past four years: intellectually, socially, emotionally, and spiritually. I am certain now that this was the Lord's will for me, and, should I enter an order, I will be a better Sister for it, because I am a better person for it.
I sometimes worried that I was putting things before the Lord in choosing to go on to college. After all, as it was said, St. Therese entered at 16(?). But not every soul is St. Therese: they are different but just as beautiful. The Lord has taught me, through these years, to trust Him and His will for me. While I don't understand His plans nor His reasoning, I know that He does. For now, that's enough for me.
I guess what I'm trying to say is "real-world experience" isn't necessarily the wrong thing... the bad part of the author's (of the Sisters book) advice is that it seems to be very one-size-fits-all. I'm sure it's meant prayerfully and is a result of her experience, but sometimes God calls us NOW and we must go when he calls. The most important thing is to listen prayerfully and in obedience. You'll know what's right for you.