An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerners, Where Do You Look?

Sister Rose Therese

Where have you looked for vocation info?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sister Rose Therese

It is time again to renew some ads in the vision magazine. So I am wondering, about this and others, how much time and money should we spend on them.

the IRL website is my staple.

In my opinion, the most important thing is that the community I'm looking at has a website with good information and some pictures. Vocation videos are a HUGE plus.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

:)

when I started looking I stuck only to the CSMWR and still have relied mainly on that. The first communities I visited were one's from there. I know their booklet isn't exhasutive but it was a good starting point. Also the IRL webiste was helpful and going to their Conference in Chicago was helpful. What is nice about hte IRL is that it includes contemplative communities as well. I did look through the Vision guide a few times but overall I found that not helpful because it seemed that there jsut too many, pardon the slang, "sketchy" communities in there. Also i've looked at communities my Spiritual Director has suggested, I trust Father's opinion and he knows me pretty well. Also word of mouth from friends who are discerning.

Tracy

Sister Rose Therese

That is one I forgot, the Priests!
I did not even know that CMSWR put out a booklet.
Yes, the Vision website and magazine has a lot of everything in there.

He is Risen!

Posting information on the web is much more accessable than in a paper mag. or pamphlet. I would tend to trust the CMSWR website over Vision because it seems to be more exclusively geared towards "traditional" communities. On the other hand, someone who may have [i]thought [/i]they wanted to be a pants-suit-sister might discover your community you could catch an unexpected fish. People my age (24) and younger mostly avoid paper (UNless is one of my favorite tomes and I'm sitting in my comfy chair).

Domine ut Videam

It is the same for me.

Personally i just am not a big fan of Vision, i don't really like the way in which they portray the religious life.

johnnydigit

Vision vocation website - never heard of it.
CMSWR - never heard of it.
Vision magazine - never heard of it.

Sister Rose Therese

So I can see that not very many of you rely on Vision as an information source. I guess that tells me how much time I should spend on it and especially on the religious ministries one.
While the IRL is a very good organization, their website right now is badly in need of an update. I know they are working on it but they have a long way to go. Last time I looked they didn't have any current discernment retreats listed. So you young women might want to check out the CMSWR website for those. There is a lot of overlap in those to groups.
The videos though seem to be getting a lot more attention. That is one thing I have to get started on.
Johnny - Sorry, the CMSWR is a group for women religious, which is probably why you don't know them.

What about www.religiousministries.com?

A Guide to Religious Ministries for Catholic Men and Women --a book and a very complete website.

They publish an annual guide to religious ministries including men, women, secular institutes, volunteer corps, and associates, which is widely distributed free or at cost. I know that I can buy a new copy every year for $5. plus nominal shipping. Published by Catholic News. It does have ads and postcards in front which help to defray the costs. It appears to be very complete and is unbiased.

Why don't you do a little marketing on your own by having your members and your vocation team ask , "How did you hear about us?" with each and every inquiry and going from there.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='jkaands' post='1472396' date='Mar 2 2008, 03:20 PM']What about www.religiousministries.com?

A Guide to Religious Ministries for Catholic Men and Women --a book and a very complete website.

They publish an annual guide to religious ministries including men, women, secular institutes, volunteer corps, and associates, which is widely distributed free or at cost. I know that I can buy a new copy every year for $5. plus nominal shipping. Published by Catholic News. It does have ads and postcards in front which help to defray the costs. It appears to be very complete and is unbiased.

Why don't you do a little marketing on your own by having your members and your vocation team ask , "How did you hear about us?" with each and every inquiry and going from there.[/quote]
Sorry that is what I meant by religious ministries, the book and the website. Very few people so far have said that they use it. We do advertise there also. I have asked some of those who come to use how they have found us, but what I really want to know is if there people who might be interested in us, who are not finding us. It seems that we have been focusing our attention a bit too much on areas that are not very fruitful. Does this make sense?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1472604' date='Mar 2 2008, 09:40 PM']Sorry that is what I meant by religious ministries, the book and the website. Very few people so far have said that they use it. We do advertise there also. I have asked some of those who come to use how they have found us, but what I really want to know is if there people who might be interested in us, who are not finding us. It seems that we have been focusing our attention a bit too much on areas that are not very fruitful. Does this make sense?[/quote]

Hi! Sister! I wouldn't waste your money on vocation ads anymore. the web is the place to be! And everyone is right--a video is a big draw now. You could easily and cheaply do some short vocation testimony videos! I've been thinking of it but everyone runs away from me!

SMC

Mari Therese

Vision, IRL, and CMSWR gave me alot of great information. At first, I plowed through every available vocation resource that I could find. All these sites were good resources initially, but they didn't really answer my deeper questions about vocations. A good website and maybe a few videos can be great attractors to potential communities. Also, a vocation contact that is really good at answering questions about everything you need to know about vocations and discerment:)

Mari Therese

Vision, IRL, and CMSWR gave me alot of great information. At first, I plowed through every available vocation resource that I could find. All these sites were good resources initially, but they didn't really answer my deeper questions about vocations. A good website and maybe a few videos can be great attractors to potential communities. Also, a vocation contact that is really good at answering questions about everything you need to know about vocations and discerment:)

Sister Rose Therese

HM! Yes, I am going to have to print this off and show to our vocation director.
I guess the next thing will be a video of some sort. I haven't a clue how I am going to con someone into letting me get them on camera. :huh:
Thanks again for all your help. You guys have really been a great resource for me!