An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children And Abortion

friendofJPII

Children and abortion  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

friendofJPII

Something bothers me about really little kids (like under 8) being forced to become pro-life advocates when they should be enjoying the innocence and joy of childhood. I'm all for stressing the beauty of life and dignity of life before birth but I'm weary of exposing them to all the details of abortion so early in life. What do you think? What would you do if you had children?

Edited by friendofJPII

Fidei Defensor

I don't think it's necessary to drag children into the abortion issue. It's not something that affects them, and when they are older, they can decide how they feel about it without being told what to believe.

I had the unfortunate experience of having to explain to my oldest foster son when he was 7 years old about abortion. His father at a supervised visitation told him he wished his mother had gone through with the abortion she had scheduled. I wish I could have waited until he was older, but neither of us had that option. When it comes to explaining things to kids, you have to be able to explain things to them at their level when they are ready, and each kid is ready at different times. I believe we should protect their innocence as long as we can, but not so long that they get accidentally exposed to something they are unprepared for. I could have strangled that foul man.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1471821' date='Mar 1 2008, 01:02 PM']I don't think it's necessary to drag children into the abortion issue. It's not something that affects them, and when they are older, they can decide how they feel about it without being told what to believe.[/quote]

More and more it seems your doubt in God is not based on Science or the like, but on rebellion, and bitterness.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Autumn Dusk

I was three the first time I was exposed to a picture of a shredded baby. I had many baby cousins and I internalized this big time.

I'll probably never be a protester becuase of my early exposure to graphic pictures of mutilation. The death and crulty of the matter was all that really became apparent to me, not life. I was just as unaware of the life of a featus as my peers shown pro-choice teachings until I was almost 20.

All the suffering, bloody pictures have affected how I feel on the matter. I will never expose my children to it, and while I won't oppose it for the sake of good it may do, I will not support it either.

friendofJPII

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1471865' date='Mar 1 2008, 02:33 PM']I was three the first time I was exposed to a picture of a shredded baby. I had many baby cousins and I internalized this big time.

I'll probably never be a protester becuase of my early exposure to graphic pictures of mutilation. The death and crulty of the matter was all that really became apparent to me, not life. I was just as unaware of the life of a featus as my peers shown pro-choice teachings until I was almost 20.

All the suffering, bloody pictures have affected how I feel on the matter. I will never expose my children to it, and while I won't oppose it for the sake of good it may do, I will not support it either.[/quote]

I'm not against gruesome pictures, but I don't believe little children should see them. The time of childhood, wonder, innocence and joy lasts for such a short time. They will learn about the evil in the world soon enough.

That being said, I guess it would be rather hard to shield little children from the reality of aboriton if the entire family is involved in pro-life activities. It's a catch 22, I guess.

friendofJPII

I was 9 when I first learned about abortion from a church Bulletin board. It was a poster illustrating a diary of an unborn baby that was about to get aborted. I cried, I was a sensitive kid.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1471864' date='Mar 1 2008, 12:29 PM']More and more it seems your doubt in God is not based on Science or the like, but on rebellion, and bitterness.[/quote]
You can continue to believe you somehow know best and can make judgments on my beliefs. However, just like you feel you can defend your positions, I feel I can defend mine. If you have any specific things you'd like to discuss, feel free. Otherwise, please refrain from trying to characterize me based on your false notions. Thanks.

I was introduced to the issue of abortion when I was like 7 or 8 but it didn't really caught on until middle school when I knew a girl that went to the same school that I did had one. Then I really thought about it and was like I got to resheach(sp) this. I am pro life because I did my reshearch and understood the church teachings.

While I would try and shield my children as much as possible during their more tender years, some children are naturally more precocious than others; sometimes far more than most adults would like to give credit to.

Likewise certain children are, by nature, more emotionally and mentally delicate, and ought not be forced out of innocence until a much later time.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1471879' date='Mar 1 2008, 03:41 PM']You can continue to believe you somehow know best and can make judgments on my beliefs. However, just like you feel you can defend your positions, I feel I can defend mine. If you have any specific things you'd like to discuss, feel free. Otherwise, please refrain from trying to characterize me based on your false notions. Thanks.[/quote]
Then why don't you start defending your positions and stop making irrelevant cheap-shot attacks?

Edited by XIX

I think the issue is bigger than 'just' abortion. It is a basic respect for the sanctity of human life and its creator. This should be taught from birth.

Having said that, proaching the subject of abortion is something that should be answered regardless of age. The caveat "with all brutal honesty even if the kid is 5" is not really fair and is ultimately (though possibly unintentionally) misleading.

You talk to child in their own terms, especially the younger ages. I think you CAN talk to a 5 year old about abortion and its intrinsic evilness in terms they can understand. Just keep in mind your audience and communicate repectively.

Edited by MIkolbe

friendofJPII

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1472119' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:08 PM']I think the issue is bigger than 'just' abortion. It is a basic respect for the sanctity of human life and its creator. This should be taught from birth.

Having said that, proaching the subject of abortion is something that should be answered regardless of age. The caveat "with all brutal honesty even if the kid is 5" is not really fair and is ultimately (though possibly unintentionally) misleading.

You talk to child in their own terms, especially the younger ages. I think you CAN talk to a 5 year old about abortion and its intrinsic evilness in terms they can understand. Just keep in mind your audience and communicate repectively.[/quote]

if I was horrified at age 9, I can only imagine how a little child would feel at age 5, looking at decapitated babies.
I agree sanctity of life should be taught from an early age, I think if the wonder of unborn life is stresed the kid wil naturally become pro-life when they discover what abortion is, later on.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1472254' date='Mar 2 2008, 08:24 AM']if I was horrified at age 9, I can only imagine how a little child would feel at age 5, looking at decapitated babies.
I agree sanctity of life should be taught from an early age, I think if the wonder of unborn life is stresed the kid wil naturally become pro-life when they discover what abortion is, later on.[/quote]

I cannot speak intelligently regarding how you 'encountered communication' regarding abortion. But, if you were horrified at such a young age, maybe the communication method used needed improvement. I think you can communicate the evils of abortion to a 5 year old without "looking at decapitated babies".

My point is you CAN communicate why it is evil, while not horrifying the recipient of said communication. Though, to your point, I would wait to initiate discuss until I felt my child had the capacity to accept/comprehend the concepts of initiated discussion therein. However, answers to queries should happen at any age.