An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of Mary,

Domine ut Videam

puellapaschalis

However, I know of at least two communities living under Papal Enclosure where there are no such physical barriers in the church and parlours.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1489391' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:38 AM']However, I know of at least two communities living under Papal Enclosure where there are no such physical barriers in the church and parlours.[/quote]

I'm sure there are different and acceptable interpretations. I do not mean to question the "living custom" of those who observe Papal Enclosure. I was basing my very superficial "definitions" on my own experience of constitutional enclosure and then only by what I had been told about the basics of papal enclosure separation from a Poor Clare I visited. I don't want to be giving false information, so I went to Verbi Sponsa and this is what I found.

Excerpted from Verbi Sponsa

Papal enclosure, for nuns, is a recognition of the specific character of the wholly contemplative life in its feminine form. By fostering in a unique way within the monastic tradition the spirituality of marriage with Christ, it becomes a sign and realization of the exclusive union of the Church as Bride with her Lord. (57)

c) it involves a separation from the world that is practical and effective, (60) and not merely symbolic. Every adaptation of the forms of separation from the outside world must be carried out in such a way “that physical separation is preserved”, (61) and it must be submitted to the approval of the Holy See.

Monasteries of nuns belonging to the ancient monastic tradition

13. Monasteries of nuns belonging to the venerable monastic tradition, (63) expressed in the various forms of the contemplative life, when they are entirely devoted to divine worship and live a hidden life within the walls of the monastery, observe papal enclosure; if other activities of service to the People of God are associated with the contemplative life, or if they practice more extensive forms of hospitality in fidelity to the tradition of their Order, their enclosure is defined in their Constitutions. (64)

Every monastery or monastic Congregation either follows papal enclosure or defines its own enclosure in its Constitutions, with respect for its specific character.

Extent of enclosure

§ 2. The law of papal enclosure extends to the residence and to all areas, indoors and outdoors, reserved to the nuns.

The means by which the monastery building itself, the choir, the parlours and all areas reserved to the nuns are separated from the outside must be physical and effective, not just symbolic or “neutral”. These means are to be defined in the Constitutions and supplementary legislative documents, with due regard both for the places themselves and for the different traditions of individual Institutes and monasteries.

Here's the link to the whole document on the Vatican website: [url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccscrlife/documents/rc_con_ccscrlife_doc_13051999_verbi-sponsa_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congrega...-sponsa_en.html[/url]