An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opus Dei

Thomist-in-Training

Opus Dei Poll  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

One of the Brothers I lived with wanted to go to an Opus Dei Mass. He had allready knew someone who had a bad experience with Opus Dei from where he lived before I cannot remember the details on that. But he wanted to see what it was like.

I went with him.

I must say I was rather unimpressed with the Mass as a whole. The music was very difficult to make out, the reader couldnt seem to read most of the reading, and the priest just rushed through the Mass. the homily was rather boring, and he was droning on about you must be a good little boy now.

On the other hand, from what I hear, the church was falling growing old and rusty, Opus Dei took it over, and cleaned the thing up and painted it. The Church was very beautiful (with the exception of the little angel heads all over the place).

I mean there was nothing remarkable about it to tell you the truth. I dont think they are behid all the world's problems.

SHALOM
Bro Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Praised be Jesus Christ...ALLELUIA!

I believe they are a destructive cult and use thought-reform and mind control techniques. Anybody who would like more information is more than welcome to contact me for specific information, websites and material to support my position. Any group that is secretive - and yes, they are secretive - is suspicious. Mormons and Scientologists (like Opus Dei members) are more than willing to discuss their beliefs, but they leave out key and important pieces of their practices and beliefs, claiming they are for people more fully initiated.

By the way, this does NOT mean that Opus Dei members are bad, evil or horrible people. The majority of people who enter destructive cults do so because they want to improve their lives, spirituality or whatever. They DO NOT wake up one day and say, "Hey...I think I'll join a cult!" ANY group that actively and heavily recruits, asks for money or uses the various techniques I mentioned above are suspicious. Lastly, an organization that trains its members to "handle" criticism (or won't tolerate it from its own members!) is highly suspicious.

There is plenty of information available on the internet, and a cursory search should provide lots of fodder. I'm sure, if you will search, you will come across the organization that offers support for families, loved ones and former members of Opus Dei.

Enough said.

puellapaschalis

Last week the group I'm part of in my parish invited an Opus Dei lady from Amsterdam to come and give us a talk about the Prelature (in the interests of full disclosure, I'm also working my way through a book of daily meditations written by an Opus Dei priest in Spain - didn't plan it that way, it's just how it worked out). She didn't seem secretive in any way - we had tons of questions and she had great answers. Her love for God and His Church was quite inspiring.

Chiquitunga

I know several great people and priests in Opus Dei, and I have never found anything questionable or secretive in any way about them, seriously. They are all very open and friendly people, and seem pretty traditional and in line with all the teachings of the Church to me.

Their priests are also really great for offering extra times throughout the week in my area for Confession, which I really appreciate.

Edited by Margaret Clare

cmotherofpirl

Opus Dei is a wonderful organization filled with faithful and orthodox Catholics. Have some Opus Dei members committed sins and taken small groups in the wrong direction - sure - any group can be corrupted. But overall they are faithful Catholics committed to carrying out the work of Christ in the world. Accusing them of secrecy is an old tactic, just like the slanders that used to be said of Catholic convents. Attack what you can't understand or haven't the courage to try.

[url="http://www.opusdei.org/"]http://www.opusdei.org/[/url]

[url="http://www.opusdeiblogs.org/"]http://www.opusdeiblogs.org/[/url]

[quote name='TradMom' post='1484845' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:22 PM']Praised be Jesus Christ...ALLELUIA!

I believe they are a destructive cult and use thought-reform and mind control techniques. Anybody who would like more information is more than welcome to contact me for specific information, websites and material to support my position. Any group that is secretive - and yes, they are secretive - is suspicious. Mormons and Scientologists (like Opus Dei members) are more than willing to discuss their beliefs, but they leave out key and important pieces of their practices and beliefs, claiming they are for people more fully initiated.

By the way, this does NOT mean that Opus Dei members are bad, evil or horrible people. The majority of people who enter destructive cults do so because they want to improve their lives, spirituality or whatever. They DO NOT wake up one day and say, "Hey...I think I'll join a cult!" ANY group that actively and heavily recruits, asks for money or uses the various techniques I mentioned above are suspicious. Lastly, an organization that trains its members to "handle" criticism (or won't tolerate it from its own members!) is highly suspicious.

There is plenty of information available on the internet, and a cursory search should provide lots of fodder. I'm sure, if you will search, you will come across the organization that offers support for families, loved ones and former members of Opus Dei.

Thanks, TradMom,

This is a potent statement , coming from a very...Trad Mom!

I have felt this about Opus Dei for a long time, but haven't bothered to research it.

I hope that others will listen.

Enough said.[/quote]

+

Saint JoseMaria's, "The Way, Furrow, and Forge" are excellent.

It may be applicable to mention that the relatively recent founder of Opus Dei, is in fact, a saint.

Edited by Veritas

Praised be Jesus! Alleluia!

Here is a link which has very valuable resources, including the constitutions and statues:
[mod]Link removed.--Era Might[/mod]

I have no disagreement with the founder's holiness, and I am well aware of Pope John Paul II's devotion to him, as evidenced by his kneeling in front of his tomb...a rare and significant gesture...but I still stand my opinion that the group is questionable. As I said previously, I am not talking about individuals but about the group as a whole, and I responded to the question..."What do you think?"

I know some Opus Dei members (from our parish) and have found them to be faithful, kind, lovely people. They have not attempted to recruit me nor any of our children.
Many groups are founded with the best of intentions and then, unfortunately stray. Many orders within the Church found themselves in a position of reformation because of this very sad fact - the Carmelites and Poor Clares to name but two.

Opus Dei is less secretive than previously due to Dan Brown's debacle, and the actions of Robert Hanssen, but it was clearly not by choice, and they do continue remain secretive, especially about their membership and financial status.

Finally...just for the record, Veritas, I have read Saint JoseMaria's books and have found them to be helpful as well as reflective of his culture, time and individual spirituality.

My response, again, was in response to the particular question - about the group. Not the individuals or the founder.

Tradmom

• 4 weeks later...
TotusTuusMaria

A dear friend of mine is involved in Opus Dei and is discerning the priesthood. He is such a wonderful example and is so good. He has told me some of Opus Dei, and I have enjoyed listening. They sound orthodox and good. An Opus Dei priest came to our Diocese and gave a day of reflection for the homeschoolers (and anyone else who wanted to attend). It was very orthodox and good too. I really enjoy St. Josemaria's works as well.

+Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever! Alleluia!

I find it very offensive that a link of mine would be erased because it includes critical commentary on an organization that has been under major scrutiny. That particular website is incredibly fair, for it includes the constitutions of the Order and the Statues. It allows the reader to decide for themselves, and it offers support for those who feel it has not been a positive influence in their lives.

Interestingly enough...there are not websites for "Former Carmelites," "Support Group for Parents of Poor Clares," or anything else like that.

This website is an excellent resource, and anybody that needs further information, I trust will google Opus Dei and look through the links until you find the most comprehensive one possible.

Tradmom

I have a friend who is a member of Opus Dei and I have found him to be a holy, dedicated and loving person.

I think organizations or institutions get a bad rap at times due to misinformation (think about our Church!). Sometimes, people only want to listen to what another says rather than finding out the facts.

I really am not too familiar with Opus Dei but knowing someone who is a part of it, can't be all that bad or what others report of it.

In Charity, sr betsy :saint:

praying4carmel

[quote name='jkaands' post='1468219' date='Feb 24 2008, 07:25 PM']I am suspicious of any organization which is sort of secret, whether it's Opus Dei, or Scientology, or the Mormon church.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

I'd better add that I am not laughing at you jk ..well said.

I did order The Way and will read it..I have no judgement to make as I don't know a thing about them, but havind had experience with Scientologists and the Mormons..that's why I laughed. I understand your point..

PS Don't ever get on the Scientology Mailing list..you'll never ever get off! it's like a virus that follows one everywhere..

Edited by praying4carmel

• 1 month later...
Chiquitunga

A Discalced Carmelite Nun in Spain (Valencia I think) talking about St. Josemaria Escriva. Can somebody translate? Some priests from Opus Dei helped those Carmels out in Spain that desired to keep the original Constitutions of St. Teresa.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=uCAmVymhGCo"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=uCAmVymhGCo[/url]

Edited by Margaret Clare

• 2 weeks later...

This is not about Opus Dei, but about another similar group, the Legionaries of Christ and its lay arm, Regnum Christi.

It turns out that the legionaries are secret also.

[url="http://ncronline3.org/drupal/?q=node/1237"]http://ncronline3.org/drupal/?q=node/1237[/url]

[b]"Baltimore Archbishop Demands Greater Accountability from Legionaries of Christ.[/b]

O'Brien says he will ban the Legionaries if they fail to comply".

...with a long, interesting interview with the archbishop.[b][/b]