An Old School Catholic Message Board

Counselors Must Affirm Homosexuality In Clients

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56702"]http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE...mp;pageId=56702[/url]

How is this going to affect Catholic pastoral counselors who hold qualifications, or Mormon ones for that matter. They also do SSA counseling.

I have already read a few stories about some Mormon students that were kicked out of grad schools for counseling according to the dictates of their own consciences rather than those of their professors.

It would be a shame if religious people stopped counseling because of something like this. Kinda like the end of Catholic Charities in Massachusetts.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1465524' date='Feb 18 2008, 11:12 PM']How is this going to affect Catholic pastoral counselors who hold qualifications, or Mormon ones for that matter. They also do SSA counseling.[/quote]
They will be incrementally silenced. Welcome to the Dictatorship of Relativism.

LouisianaCatholic

I don't feel that people who request counseling to change their sexual preference (from homosexuality to heterosexuality) should be denied. I do feel, though, that a counselor should explore a patients background through counseling sessions before determining if that sort of counseling is appropriate, just as they would do if a patient walked in and said they has schizophrenia.

I also feel that a counselor should never work from his or her moral realm but instead seek to understand how each individual patient understands morality. If the counselor cannot not work with a person whose moral realm is so different than his or her own, he or she should release the patient or refer him to another counselor. It is the duty of counselors, not associated with a faith based counseling group, to help a person life better in his or her life, not our perception of it.