An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion Penalty

dairygirl4u2c

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nulled my vote too. Not in the mood to think about this one... plus, doctors are culpable... though, there are doctors out there who believe they are not doing anything wrong. Odd I know, since they're supposed to have scientific background, but aside from a pile of prison time, maybe they should get classes too.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1466157' date='Feb 20 2008, 11:48 AM']Nulled my vote too. Not in the mood to think about this one... plus, doctors are culpable... though, there are doctors out there who believe they are not doing anything wrong. Odd I know, since they're supposed to have scientific background, but aside from a pile of prison time, maybe they should get classes too.[/quote]

One's guilt does not release another's guilt.

Mother: should be tried for contracting murder. She orders a hit on her baby, and should be tried thusly.

Doctor: tried for murder in the first degree. Should also be stripped permanently of ability to practice medicine, even after time served.

People who helped them to the clinic, drove them, picked them up, paid for it, etc.: tried with conspiracy to commit murder. That's what they do, that's what they should be tried for.

As far as psychological defects, etc., that should be entered into the trial no difference than any other murder case. If found to be insane, or whatever, use the states current laws to mitigate the consequences. Situations could be used to bring it down from murder 1 to murder 2, or manslaughter, or whatever.

The point is, it's murder. We need to communicate that it's no different than murder. Screw popular opinion.

However, I do not support prosecuting people that procure abortions while it is legal. They operate under the premise that it is legal. I'm not a fan of retroactive penalties.

A life-sentence in Canada is a 25 year sentence by the way. Just thought I'd add that little bit of info; saying life = 25 years of a Canadien, technically speaking.

:)

Personally I would presume the primary objection that exists among those persons opposed to abortion is that it is legally accessible and protected. In the United States of America the Federal Constitution forbids “ex post facto” laws meaning, that if a law were enacted banning abortion, it could only be used legally against those people violating such a law after it was enacted. So it would not be the punishing of persons who at the time were not violating a valid law.

The false image that comes to my mind, from this, is that we would be punishing women who are being forced into abortions or have no choice but to be victimized by abortions. Presumably a court could examine and weigh properly those subjective and extenuating circumstances. This image if being the one implored to defend this evil atrocity then it is one that appeals to an imaginary world, which would not exist if such laws existed.

No person should be opposed to punishments, even confinement, resulting from the violation of an existing valid law. Therefore, the appeal to not imposing fines or confinement to those businesses, doctors, or persons who violate a valid law is most certainly absurd. In the United States doctors who perform “assisted suicides” are punished. Likewise, we punish those persons who are accessory to “assisted suicides”.

The appeal to not impose punishments comes from an emotional appeal. [i]If we were to take pity upon the murder, the rapist, or the robber we may desire to not punish them either, for it would be thought as punishing someone for something that is fundamentally wrong with them. That one may be punishing them for something that they cannot help but do or commit.[/i] This is a false compassion. Society has the duty and obligation to protect itself and avenge justice, therefore there must be restitution.

That the severity of punishment be collectively decided, as other crimes are, among the States. That then when valid laws are proposed the courts then examines those particular cases in the light of those valid laws. It does not stand to reason therefore to defend the great evil of abortion by this false compassion to accessory of abortion or by presuming that injustice will come from the punishment of breaking a valid law.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1466157' date='Feb 20 2008, 09:48 AM']Nulled my vote too. Not in the mood to think about this one... plus, doctors are culpable... though, there are doctors out there who believe they are not doing anything wrong. Odd I know, since they're supposed to have scientific background, but aside from a pile of prison time, maybe they should get classes too.[/quote]

you mean like, RCIA classes?

[quote name='Didacus' post='1466205' date='Feb 20 2008, 12:37 PM']One's guilt does not release another's guilt.[/quote]
True.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1466267' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:41 PM']A life-sentence in Canada is a 25 year sentence by the way. Just thought I'd add that little bit of info; saying life = 25 years of a Canadien, technically speaking.

:)[/quote]
Lawl... yep. Forgot about that detail...

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1466760' date='Feb 21 2008, 01:51 PM']you mean like, RCIA classes?[/quote]
ha ha... <_<

Someone should add another poll about what penalty the doctor's should receive.

I'm with the person who said tried for first degree murder with their license stripped away. Any doctor who intentionally murders in another way is given that. (like the euthanasia ones)

Well, presuming abortion was illegal, the heaviest weight should come down on the doctor with prosecution for murder. That should take care of abortions.
If not, then yes, she should be charged with murder.

So, if it is illegal in the U.S. and the woman goes to Mexico or Canada or anyplace where it is legal and has one, she has no problem. This is what occured prior to Roe V Wade so that the rich could get their abortions. How does one make it illegal world wide?

Edited by Deb

[quote name='Deb' post='1467176' date='Feb 22 2008, 08:57 AM']So, if it is illegal in the U.S. and the woman goes to Mexico or Canada or anyplace where it is legal and has one, she has no problem. This is what occured prior to Roe V Wade so that the rich could get their abortions. How does one make it illegal world wide?[/quote]

Isn't it actually illegal for a US Resident to travel to a foreign country for the purpose of breaking US law?

Edited by T-Bone _

I don't think it would in this case. You can go to Amsterdam and get high legally (or so I have heard) so not sure why you couldn't do anything else.

[quote name='Deb' post='1467214' date='Feb 22 2008, 09:55 AM']I don't think it would in this case. You can go to Amsterdam and get high legally (or so I have heard) so not sure why you couldn't do anything else.[/quote]

No. I don't think it's illegal to break US law outside of the boarders. But if you travel outside of US boarders for the [i]purpose[/i] of breaking the law, then it would be a crime.

• 2 weeks later...
KnightofChrist

I know I've heard about the FBI arresting sexual perverts that go to other nations where sex with underage girls is legal.

friendofJPII

This is a hard question, but we better know how to answer it b/c pro-aborts ask it all the time.

IMO, Yes, the women should be fined and jailed for prcuring and abotion. I wouldn't give them a long sentence (say 3 months), not something I would be thrilled about doing, but hey, we would have to enforce the law. In my local park there is a huge sign that says if you fail to pick up your dog's mushy mud pie you will pay a fine and be sent to jail for 90 days. Hmmmm.....and we hesitate to enforce any penalites on those who kill babies. Let's see....

dog mushy mud pie vs. killing a baby dog mushy mud pie vs..killing a baby----seems like no contest to me.

If we only prosecute the doctors we will have ilegit "drs" doing abortions on the side. Honestly, I think a LOT of hearts and minds would have to be changed before abortion would have become completly illegal. The Lord would have to intervene and work a big miracle. Pro-life would have to become popular...and we could take a bow b/c we were PL before it was popular! :) But the Lord is amazing and He can do anything.

In the meantime we should work for as many restrictions as possible. If Roe were overturned that would be a major step b/c states would be free to enforce more restrictions.

Edited by friendofJPII

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1465465' date='Feb 18 2008, 09:19 PM']I don't know. You tell me. What should the penalty for murdering a baby be?[/quote]
Death of the mother, obviously. The penalty for sin is death.