An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rosalind Moss Founding New Order Of Sisters

Gemma

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1462414' date='Feb 14 2008, 02:31 PM']The majority of Jews do not consider Messianic Jews to be Jewish, but rather Christian, because they consider true Jews to be those who do not believe that a Messiah has yet come.[/quote]

+

It's true, the Jews may not, but we sure can! :) I think, after all, it is a fuller expression. After all, are Jews going to say that when the Messiah does come, they will no longer be Jewish? No. Therefore, we, believing that the messiah has already come can claim that Judaism remains. I know this could be discussed ad nauseum, but just a basic thought. :)

TotusTuusMaria

Thanks for posting Gemma! I hadn't heard about this. When you said so I googled it. Very interesting. I think it is wonderful. God bless her!

I found this at: [url="http://catholicfire.blogspot.com/2008/02/ewtn-tv-and-radio-host-rosalind-moss-to.html"]http://catholicfire.blogspot.com/2008/02/e...nd-moss-to.html[/url] .....

[quote]Rosalind Moss, an author, who is an Eternal Word Television Network TV host and one of the network's radio hosts, announced Feb. 13 that she is starting a new community of sisters in the Archdiocese of St. Louis with the permission of Archbishop Raymond L. Burke. The new group will be called the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope, she told an audience of more than 200 at the Catholic Breakfast Club of Sacramento.

Moss, 65, said her group will be an evangelistic, teaching community following in the spiritual tradition of St. Francis de Sales. Raised a conservative Jew, Moss spent 18 years as an evangelical Protestant before becoming a Catholic in 1995.

Get the story [url="http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=26854&wf=rsscol"]here[/url].[/quote]

What a beautiful purpose: "The purpose of this religious community is to flood the world with holy habits as signs to God..I want to tell the world that God hasn't left. He is still here. We are loved by the God who made us for himself. I want to show there is no such thing as secular and religious. There is no division. All is from God."

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

philosophette

[quote name='Veritas' post='1463177' date='Feb 15 2008, 02:24 AM']+

After all, are Jews going to say that when the Messiah does come, they will no longer be Jewish? No.[/quote]

Well, isn't that what happened when He did come?
:detective:

I do not mean to hijack the thread, :offtopic: I just mean that many Jews would take offense at having Messianics considered true Jews on account of their belief in the Messiah already coming. It would be wrong for us to tell them what they can and cannot decide about whether or not certain people fully participate in their faith. It would be like someone insisting to us the Jehovah's Witnesses are really Christians because they believe in Jesus, but the reality is that we do not believe in the same Jesus.

Ok, back to topic....

do they have a website yet?

Guest trfr415

Great news! I pray that they get some/many vocations from the Phatmass phamily.

Archbishop Burke, once again, comes through wonderfully!

Christopher

Edited by trfr415

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1463300' date='Feb 15 2008, 08:51 AM']Well, isn't that what happened when He did come?
:detective:

I do not mean to hijack the thread, :offtopic: I just mean that many Jews would take offense at having Messianics considered true Jews on account of their belief in the Messiah already coming. It would be wrong for us to tell them what they can and cannot decide about whether or not certain people fully participate in their faith. It would be like someone insisting to us the Jehovah's Witnesses are really Christians because they believe in Jesus, but the reality is that we do not believe in the same Jesus.

Ok, back to topic....

do they have a website yet?[/quote]

+

No, it didn't. I think it may be helpful to note that we arguing about semantics in part. I think it's important to recognize that I'm talking about Judaism not just as a religion, but an ethnic group of people. But in addition to that, the definition of a Jew isn't one who is waiting for a Messiah. Hence the fact that one recognizes a messiah, doesn't mean they are no longer a Jew.

I see your point about deciding upon definitions, but as Christians, we are going to claim to have objective reality regarding the Messiah, whether or not the Jews (whom we love and pray for as God's chosen people) realize it or not. We do not force our belief upon them regarding the recognition of Messianic Jews, of whom there are so many Biblical examples, but we certainly have a right to have it!

+

Say, I just found this more detailed information on the web, including the name!

DAUGHTERS OF MARY, MOTHER OF ISRAEL'S HOPE
SACRAMENTO, CA (CNS) - Rosalind Moss, an author who is an Eternal Word Television Network TV host and one of the network's radio hosts, announced Feb. 13 that she is starting a new community of sisters in the Archdiocese of St. Louis with the permission of Archbishop Raymond L. Burke.

The new group will be called the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope, she told an audience of more than 200 at the Catholic Breakfast Club of Sacramento.

Moss, 65, said she hopes to move to St. Louis within a few months, intends to fulfill as many of her scheduled speaking engagements in the coming year as possible, and plans to continue her radio program from St. Louis.

She is working now on designing a floor-length habit, along with a basket to hold religious articles which sisters will distribute both in the poorest areas of the city and the richest.

"The purpose of this religious community is to flood the world with holy habits as signs to God," said Moss, who is also a staff apologist with Catholic Answers, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the Catholic faith through all forms of media.

..."I want to tell the world that God hasn't left. He is still here. We are loved by the God who made us for himself. I want to show there is no such thing as secular and religious. There is no division. All is from God," she said.

Moss said her group will be an evangelistic, teaching community following in the spiritual tradition of St. Francis de Sales, whose writings and sermons inspired many to convert to Catholicism. She already has a few women who plan to join her, she added.

"I'll come back to Sacramento one day in a habit," said Moss. "Hold nothing back from God."

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Veritas' post='1463177' date='Feb 15 2008, 07:24 AM']+

It's true, the Jews may not, but we sure can! :) I think, after all, it is a fuller expression. After all, are Jews going to say that when the Messiah does come, they will no longer be Jewish? No. Therefore, we, believing that the messiah has already come can claim that Judaism remains. I know this could be discussed ad nauseum, but just a basic thought. :)[/quote]

The name that Rosalind Moss uses for herself is Hebrew Catholic. The term 'messianic Jew' has a lot of baggage attached to it, as the messianic Jewish movement is fired and fuelled by evangelical Christians, many of whom pretend to be of Jewish origin and ethnicity as a rather deceitful way of evangelising. It's also very Protestant in its theology - [i]sola scriptura[/i], [i]sola fides[/i], etc. Take a look at the Jews for Jesus website and you'll see what I mean.

the lords sheep

"if we keep what God has given us, we are thieves. There is no true, lasting happiness apart from giving our lives to God."
What a beautiful quote!

i remember reading somewhere that it's often very difficult for people to start orders who don't already have decades of religious experience (as a religious) and aren't already building on an existing foundation (reform). sounds obvious i know but there was a lot more to it. not to be a downer or negative, i do wish her the best and i think "The purpose of this religious community is to flood the world with holy habits as signs to God," is awesome!

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1467617' date='Feb 23 2008, 04:12 PM']i remember reading somewhere that it's often very difficult for people to start orders who don't already have decades of religious experience (as a religious) and aren't already building on an existing foundation (reform). sounds obvious i know but there was a lot more to it. not to be a downer or negative, i do wish her the best and i think "The purpose of this religious community is to flood the world with holy habits as signs to God," is awesome![/quote]

It is quite rare for a layperson to found a new religious order, but it has happened. Sister Magdeleine of Jesus did it when she founded the Little Sisters of Jesus. (A Dominican convent helped out with the formation.) More recently, two laywomen founded the Sisters of the Gospel of Life at the request of a Scottish cardinal.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1467617' date='Feb 23 2008, 11:12 AM']i remember reading somewhere that it's often very difficult for people to start orders who don't already have decades of religious experience (as a religious) and aren't already building on an existing foundation (reform). sounds obvious i know but there was a lot more to it. not to be a downer or negative, i do wish her the best and i think "The purpose of this religious community is to flood the world with holy habits as signs to God," is awesome![/quote]

That's why I started the private Founders' Forum yahoo group--better to hang together than to hang separately.

There have been a number of lay founders.

Rosalind is going to take novitiate training along with her aspirants.

The founder is the lawgiver. If the foundation is meant to be, then God will send the lay founder the assistance necessary at the proper time. They will also find which convent/monastery the aspirants should receive their training from.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

• 1 month later...

it figures...theres already a thread about it here, 2 pages long! just heard about it on the Journey Home on EWTN...great news!

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1468069' date='Feb 24 2008, 10:15 AM']It is quite rare for a layperson to found a new religious order, but it has happened. Sister Magdeleine of Jesus did it when she founded the Little Sisters of Jesus. (A Dominican convent helped out with the formation.) More recently, two laywomen founded the Sisters of the Gospel of Life at the request of a Scottish cardinal.[/quote]

Depends on what you're talking about, CA.

Laywomen/men founding orders and becoming a religious in the process happens all the time.

Lay people like myself, married and founding an order, is the rarity. However, there are several others in the same boat I'm in, so it's becoming less and less a rarity.

Those of us in the lay-founder-staying-outside-the-new-community category enjoy the Heavenly prayers of the likes of St. Frances of Rome; Blessed Edmund Bojanowski; Blessed Bartolo Longo; Ven. Conchita Concepcion; and a few others.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1467617' date='Feb 23 2008, 08:12 AM']i remember reading somewhere that it's often very difficult for people to start orders who don't already have decades of religious experience (as a religious) and aren't already building on an existing foundation (reform). sounds obvious i know but there was a lot more to it. not to be a downer or negative, i do wish her the best and i think "The purpose of this religious community is to flood the world with holy habits as signs to God," is awesome![/quote]

Mother Agnes Mary, along with 7 others, answered an ad by John Cardinal O'Connor back in 1991 to start a new order called the Sisters of Life. One woman had been in religious life before but returned to single life for many years but the rest had no religious life experience. Although Mother Assumpta Long, then of the Nashville Dominicans (who in turn founded her own order, Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist...as did her blood sister, Mother Gabriel, who helped found Sister Servants of the Eternal Word) and some Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma sisters aided in their formation, the Sisters of Life adopted their own constitutions, habits and horarium. From what I knew of them as a postulant, there were no out of the ordinary difficulties. God grabbed that order by the heart and led them, that's for sure! They now have 7 convents, I think, including one in Canada and they haven't ceased growing. It may be difficult for new orders to grow but it sure can happen.