An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brownback And Mccain

XIX

Anakin. I don't think Palpatine would want someone on his ticket without some serious dark side experience.

Plus, Luke is pretty young--I don't know if the voters would go for him.

Pennypacker11

Apparently my first post did not appear so I will re-write it. Many here have strongly criticized McCain for his position on life issues. Personally, I think his positions are palatable, especially compared with the alternative. Either way, he has the support of Brownback, who not only endorsed McCain early on (unlike those who have in the last week when it is clear he will win) but has also campaigned for him in key states like Florida (where Brownback specifically targeted Catholic voters).

For those who oppose McCain specifically on life issues, 1) has Brownback been duped by McCain or 2) is he lying/misleading the voters (i.e. to get a job in a possible McCain presidency)?

[quote name='Pennypacker11' post='1458675' date='Feb 10 2008, 04:21 PM']For those who oppose McCain specifically on life issues, 1) has Brownback been duped by McCain or 2) is he lying/misleading the voters (i.e. to get a job in a possible McCain presidency)?[/quote]

I do not oppose him on life issues, he's mostly on the right side of the issue. This doesn't mean that I think he will have the nerve and guts to railroad pro-life legislation through a rabidly pro-choice Congress. I also doubt he desires to push pro-life justices through a Congress that will Bork anyone to the right of Justice Ginsburg. He may be on the right side, but he lacks focus and desire on the issue.

As such, his presidency would be a minor setback in and of itself. In comparison, a Clinton or Obama presidency would be a severe setback.

That said, I must also consider the ramifications of 2012 and later. I believe that a McCain presidency would be a four year term. The combination of organizational chaos within the RNC and the economic hardship of another period of "stagflation" caused by poor fiscal policy will lead to an inevitable string of victories for the Democrat Party.

I believe a presidency of Clinton or Obama would be equally disastrous in the economic sphere, leading to a Republican revolt in 2012.

As such, by 2020, the net pro-life legislation and judicial appointment from a McCain victory would be worse than a Clinton or Obama victory.

It is with this in mind that I cannot vote for Senator McCain. Even so, I would rather bathe in sulfuric acid than vote Democrat, ever. As such, I will vote for a third party.

As for Senator Brownback, I believe he honestly believes that Senator McCain would make a good president. I merely calculate the long term outcomes differently.

[quote name='XIX' post='1458579' date='Feb 10 2008, 12:26 PM']Anakin. I don't think Palpatine would want someone on his ticket without some serious dark side experience.

Plus, Luke is pretty young--I don't know if the voters would go for him.[/quote]

Yeah, some people here remember how bad the media treated Vice President Quayle.

While he's a well known war hero, Anakin is a little too hot-headed. I think a better VP would be the popular and connected Acros-Krik.

[quote name='Dismas' post='1458863' date='Feb 10 2008, 09:34 PM']I do not oppose him on life issues, he's mostly on the right side of the issue. This doesn't mean that I think he will have the nerve and guts to railroad pro-life legislation through a rabidly pro-choice Congress. I also doubt he desires to push pro-life justices through a Congress that will Bork anyone to the right of Justice Ginsburg. He may be on the right side, but he lacks focus and desire on the issue.

As such, his presidency would be a minor setback in and of itself. In comparison, a Clinton or Obama presidency would be a severe setback.

That said, I must also consider the ramifications of 2012 and later. I believe that a McCain presidency would be a four year term. The combination of organizational chaos within the RNC and the economic hardship of another period of "stagflation" caused by poor fiscal policy will lead to an inevitable string of victories for the Democrat Party.

I believe a presidency of Clinton or Obama would be equally disastrous in the economic sphere, leading to a Republican revolt in 2012.

As such, by 2020, the net pro-life legislation and judicial appointment from a McCain victory would be worse than a Clinton or Obama victory.

It is with this in mind that I cannot vote for Senator McCain. Even so, I would rather bathe in sulfuric acid than vote Democrat, ever. As such, I will vote for a third party.

As for Senator Brownback, I believe he honestly believes that Senator McCain would make a good president. I merely calculate the long term outcomes differently.[/quote]
Very good points for the most part.