An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mormonism And An "aha" Moment

kenrockthefirst

kenrockthefirst

I was listening to a program about Mormonism on the radio. The backstory of Joseph Smith, apparently, is that while he lived in western New York state prior to founding Mormonism, he was surrounded by a bunch of different churches and didn't know which one to join. One day he went off into the woods to pray and ask God's guidance as to which church he should join. "God" appeared to him in a vision and told him not to join any church. Eventually, of course, "God" revealed the golden plates to Smith, from which he translated the Book of Mormon and founded a new religion.

Anyway, the "aha" moment for me was this: the reason *additional* deceit came into the world was because Christ's body was broken. If this church and that church and the other church, one Lutheran, one Mormon, one Christian Scientist, all call themselves churches, how is anyone supposed to know what is the One True Church? It's not that Lutheran's aren't Christian. But their schism has allowed for the muddying of water vis-a-vis the truth.

Thoughts?

Archaeology cat

Funny you should post this, because I've had similar thoughts recently. I'm also not sure which churches were in his area, but that would be interesting as well.

Protestantism, in whatever form, always makes me think of a piece of glass that has been shattered. I think viewing it as his broken body is very apt.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1454233' date='Feb 1 2008, 05:34 PM']Protestantism, in whatever form, always makes me think of a piece of glass that has been shattered. I think viewing it as his broken body is very apt.[/quote]
Or the bits of flesh that were violently ripped from our Lord's body.