An Old School Catholic Message Board

Coulter: Would Vote Clinton Over Mccain

Lounge Daddy

son_of_angels

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1454843' date='Feb 3 2008, 04:27 AM']This would destroy the sovereignty of the Untied States and form a permanent under class. A free and opened boarder is not a boarder. Mexico has many many problems, a free and opened boarder with that nation would sink the United States and her people, Mexico must solve her own problems. Her people are her problem. If they wish to come here they should wait in line like the rest of the world, and not be able to steal into this nation and be aloud to get away with it. A open or uncontrolled or uncontrollable boarders lead to the destruction of that nation, ie Rome.[/quote]

1. "This would destroy the sovereignty of the United States." Perhaps. Sovereignty of the "corpus politicus" is not absolute, it grows, changes, and adapts according to its activity and the individual elements of it. For instance, the definition of national sovereignty has changed drastically since the sovereign status of its individual states was laid in question during the Civil War. If it is possible to define sovereignty within the context of international binding treaties, it is equally possible for the United States to give up some elements of her sovereignty for the greater good, with the ability to remove from that agreement always reserved.
As for the "permanent lower class" bit, that is the same kind of reasoning that was used in the desegregation era: that integration would ultimately increase hatred between blacks and whites and force blacks further down than what they were presently. It is baloney, because the society responds to the legal conditions with more dexterity than is always predictable. If Mexicans are quickly integrated into American culture, not as a one-time amnesty, but as a permanent feature, they will become immediately drawn into the overall American and Mexican culture, which will create the social structures necessary to accomodate them. But if strict immigration laws, which separate many workers from their host society, continue, THEY continue to create a permanent lower class, and make the lower classes even lower in Mexico herself.
2. "A free and open border is not a border." This is not true. If we look at the European Union, there are in fact national borders, and there is in fact freedom of movement. We are perfectly capable, through an arbitrated and independent joint border security program to create an invisible border which effectively keeps track of dangerous people and substances. Think Interpol. We have already violated the idea of a closed border by the Free Trade agreement; freedom of movement is the natural consequence of that policy. But keep in mind, if you wish to change that policy, you better give up getting your cheap prices at Wal-Mart.
3. "A free and opened border would sink the United States." More likely, it would bring the United States into the third millenia as far as global politics are concerned. Increasingly we are facing a united Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. If we do not bring our own sphere of influence together we risk becoming entirely backward in the new world. Military solutions will not help us if we do not have the political clout to gain coalition supporters. In fact, it would make us more, in the spirit of JRR Tolkien, a Queen among Queens, rather than among slaves.
4. "Mexico has her own problems." Not exactly true. Mexico depends on the United States economically, so it would be more correct to say that Mexico has OUR own problems, and the problems that free trade have created for her. Increasingly, upper and middle income jobs leave Mexico, which means that some illegal immigrants have high school diplomas and undergraduate studies, but cannot get any job at all in their own country. If we make movement free, and created a unitary passport between us and Mexico, we will make it possible for their highest and brightest to come to work in the United States, and at the same time increase wages and prices in the Mexican economy.
5. As for the Rome reference, learn your history. Rome fell out of its own pride and lack of vision; in fact, learn St. Augustine and see that the seeds of its destruction were sown through the corruption of its leaders and their constant mix between pandering and savagery.
6. Finally, there is hardly any reason to get fussy about illegal immigrants. Instead, we should be worried about their conditions, and about making them productive members of our society. We are not, at present, population limited, and the reasons they are here--family, security, hope--are reasons which are at the heart of the Church. I welcome the added number of Catholics, many with very conservative family values, and think that it is in Latin America that America can find its new vocation in what should be a post-superpower world.

Some other comments made were about populism. In fact, I never mentioned populism, but liberalism. Populism is not a structural form for government, but a type of engagement with the citizenry. In fact, populism, or the "tyranny of the majority" can be just as conservative, i.e. Iran, as it can be liberalism. But as far as the "tyranny of the majority" goes, the Founding Fathers may have wanted to avoid such a thing, but it was usually on the basis of giving some balance to individual interest groups, not usually conservative, in the government. Keep in mind that this is in the era of the Enlightenment, when Rationalism was rearing its ugly head.

Edited by son_of_angels

McCain is trying pretty hard to appear to be conservative now. He is picking and choosing the enforcements at his web site. For a major example, he leaves out the New York Times endorsement...

KnightofChrist

Bob Dole: Maybe Bob Dole should run. Bob Dole thinks Bob Dole should. Actually, Bob Dole just wants to hear Bob Dole talk about Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole! Bob Dole!

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1455925' date='Feb 5 2008, 04:59 PM']Bob Dole: Maybe Bob Dole should run. Bob Dole thinks Bob Dole should. Actually, Bob Dole just wants to hear Bob Dole talk about Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole! Bob Dole![/quote]

So is Bob Dole no longer considered conservative?

KnightofChrist

First, all Bob Dole did was write a letter to a friend for a friend. It was private and then leaked to the press. As I understand. It was not an official endorsement. Either way, Mccain is a Republican but not a conservative.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='daytondog' post='1455978' date='Feb 5 2008, 07:41 PM']Just like some liberals have Bush Derangement Syndrome, some conservatives have McCain Derangement Syndrome.[/quote]

Your humor amuses me, the cold fact remains Mccain is not a conservative.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1455973' date='Feb 5 2008, 07:33 PM']So is Bob Dole no longer considered conservative?[/quote]
Serving in the military doesn't equal conservative.

[url="http://www.citizenlink.org/CLtopstories/A000006444.cfm"][b]Dr. Dobson: "I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain..."[/b] [/url]:

"I am deeply disappointed the Republican Party seems poised to select a nominee who did not support a Constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage, voted for embryonic stem-cell research to kill nascent human beings, opposed tax cuts that ended the marriage penalty, has little regard for freedom of speech, organized the Gang of 14 to preserve filibusters in judicial hearings, and has a legendary temper and often uses foul and obscene language.

"I am convinced Sen. McCain is not a conservative, and in fact, has gone out of his way to stick his thumb in the eyes of those who are. He has sounded at times more like a member of the other party. McCain actually considered leaving the GOP caucus in 2001, and approached John Kerry about being Kerry’s running mate in 2004. McCain also said publicly that Hillary Clinton would make a good president. Given these and many other concerns, a spoonful of sugar does NOT make the medicine go down. I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain, as a matter of conscience.

"But what a sad and melancholy decision this is for me and many other conservatives. Should Sen. McCain capture the nomination as many assume, I believe this general election will offer the worst choices for president in my lifetime. I certainly can't vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama based on their virulently anti-family policy positions. If these are the nominees in November, I simply will not cast a ballot for president for the first time in my life. These decisions are my personal views and do not represent the organization with which I am affiliated. They do reflect my deeply held convictions about the institution of the family, about moral and spiritual beliefs, and about the welfare of our country."

[url="http://www.lp.org/media/article_564.shtml"][b]Libertarian Party sends condolences to the Republican National Committee[/b][/url]

With the rise of John McCain, LP offers sympathy for the death of small-government values within the GOP

Washington, D.C. - Following a solid McCain victory in the Super Tuesday primaries, the Libertarian Party has sent Republican headquarters a funeral wreath marking the death of limited-government values within the Republican Party. The wreath was hand-delivered to the D.C. offices of the Republican National Committee. "We simply felt the need to express our heartfelt sympathy for the Republican Party as they undergo this tough time within their party," says Libertarian Party National Media Coordinator Andrew Davis, who delivered the wreath.

"Given that it has become readily apparent that Senator McCain will soon be the presidential nominee for the Republican Party," reads a card that accompanied the wreath addressed to RNC Chairman Mike Duncan, "we, the staff of the Libertarian National Committee, send our condolences to you upon the death of small-government principles within the GOP."

You know, this bashing of McCain as "not a real conservative" almost exactly mirrors the way liberals bashed George "not really pro-life" Bush back in 2004.

Point out anything that makes him looks bad. Emphasize that. Pretend the rest of his record does not exist. Prove you are correct by repeating yourself 5,000,000 times.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1457120' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:50 PM']He just spoke to CPAC

they seemed ok with him[/quote]

That's because they were specifically instructed not to boo McCain.
[url="http://www.politico.com/blogs/anneschroeder/0208/CPAC_to_all_CPACers_Dont_boo_McCain.html"]ABC reported [/url](with a link to [url="http://www.politico.com/blogs/anneschroeder/0208/CPAC_to_all_CPACers_Dont_boo_McCain.html"]a story at Politico[/url]):

[quote]Conservatives Told Not to Boo McCain

February 07, 2008 11:53 AM

[url="http://www.politico.com/blogs/anneschroeder/0208/CPAC_to_all_CPACers_Dont_boo_McCain.html"]Politico's Anne Schroeder reports[/url] that last night a registrant at the Conservative Political Action said of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz: “I hope they boo him out of the room.”

The CPAC registrar expressed alarm and said, “We’ve been instructed to tell participants not to boo McCain.”

Not a good place to start from, when wooing the base.[/quote]

[url="http://anncoulter.com/cgi-local/printer_friendly.cgi?article=233"]Ann Coulter's column[/url] came out today:
[quote]Nominating McCain is the gesture of a desperate party.

Republicans are so shell-shocked and demoralized by the success of the Bush Derangement Syndrome, they think they can fool the voters by nominating an open-borders, anti-tax cut, anti-free speech, global-warming hysteric, pro-human experimentation "Republican." Which is to say, a Democrat.

As the expression goes, given a choice between a Democrat and a Democrat, voters will always choose the Democrat. The only question remaining is: Hillary or Obama?[/quote]

By pro-human experimentation she is referring to "pro-life candidate" McCain supporting experimenting with pre-born humans. And he supports funding that research with your money.
The [url="http://anncoulter.com/cgi-local/printer_friendly.cgi?article=233"]entire column [/url]is a good read.