An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mormonism And The Church Fathers

mortify

Manicheanism is a gnostic form of dualism, while Pelagianism denied the necessity of grace for salvation, because Pelagius supposedly confused nature and grace.

SanctitasDeo

Mormons are most definitely not Pelagianists. And I don't feel at all like a Gnostic either.

SanctitasDeo

First, here are a few scriptures from the Book of Mormon:

[quote]24 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.--2 Nephi 10:24

23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. --2 Nephi 25:23

...And by the law no flesh is justified....

Wherefore redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah, for he is full of grace and truth.

Behold he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.

...no flesh...can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit... --From 2 Nephi 2:5-8[/quote]

We believe that it is through grace we are saved, that the atonement was necessary. If our Saviour had not suffered and died for us, we would die in our sins, there would be no resurrection (and we would never be able to have a body again), and we would be in hell. We would never see the face of our Father again.

We believe that works are necessary. I think we might be similar to y'all in this respect. Through baptism, priesthood ordination and in the temples, we make covenants with God wherein we promise to be diligent in keeping his commandments and endure to the end, and he promises the mercy and grace of Christ in our lives, as well as eternal life and exaltation.

[quote name='SanctitasDeo' post='1488569' date='Mar 29 2008, 11:03 PM']Montanists seem more like Pentecostals than Mormons.[/quote]

I meant in the sense of a prophet claiming new revelation that should be added to the new testament. Not the doctrine itself.

Edited by mortify

SanctitasDeo

[quote]I meant in the sense of a prophet claiming new revelation that should be added to the new testament. Not the doctrine itself.[/quote]

Well of course, though the method of receiving revelation varies enough that it still reminds me more of Pentecostals. We don't really do the ecstatic revelation thing. Not like (it seems) the Montanists did, as well as the Pentecostals. But you are definitely right about the new revelation thing.