An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus Camp

"Kyrie eleison"

I thought it was a rather interesting documentary. It was certainly done quite well. Very fair and neutrally presented - even the people in it agree. This is all but impossible to do in a documentary today, and even harder to do when it is about religion.

About their practices and theology, I have a few comments

1. Their speaking in tongues is nothing more than emotionally activated turrettes syndrome(I feel really bad that I, as a psychologist, can't remember how to spell that). I mutter "gibberish" phrases a couple of times a day, but I know I don't speak in tongues. Part of speaking in tongues is that those who hear you UNDERSTAND what you're saying - no one was doing that.

2. I also very distinctly remember a split second moment in one scene about the speaking in tongues where one of the adults TOLD the kid what to say. It's easy to miss, but I rewound and watched it a second time. That's not speaking in tongues at all.

3. I find it amusing that the lady running the camp went off on Harry Potter. I don't have what she said exactly right, but it was something like "no matter how nice, or good, or Christ-like he seems, Harry Potter is a wizard, and wizardry is forbidden by the bible. Harry potter is forbidden by the bible" Yet I also quite distinctly remember a scene with a paperback copy of Lord of the Rings sitting on a kitchen table(if memory serves well enough, it was the fellowship of the ring). Gandalf is a wizard too. Why aren't they speaking out against him? It's just picking and choosing.

[quote name='Maccabeus' post='1454438' date='Feb 2 2008, 02:14 AM']...reading all of this, I'm gonna rent it tomorrow and watch it, out of curiosity. :)[/quote]

you can see it on google videos for free

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1454379' date='Feb 1 2008, 11:29 PM']I don't get the fuzzy kitty thing. :mellow:

Yeah, the bits I've seen are scary. Maybe I'll watch it all with some Catholic friends if we're up for a horror flick[/quote]

She was saying that sin at first appeared cute and kind of fun (little fuzzy kitty) and no big deal. But then it grows into something huge and scary (larger cuter fuzzy kitten). The second stuffed animal was actually cuter than the first.

MissScripture

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1454485' date='Feb 2 2008, 10:06 AM']you can see it on google videos for free[/quote]
If it'll load...I tried to watch it last night and it wouldn't load for me.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1454489' date='Feb 2 2008, 10:08 AM']She was saying that sin at first appeared cute and kind of fun (little fuzzy kitty) and no big deal. But then it grows into something huge and scary (larger cuter fuzzy kitten). The second stuffed animal was actually cuter than the first.[/quote]
that's a ripoff. and the kitty analogy is sorta off, but i'll take it.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1454485' date='Feb 2 2008, 11:06 AM']you can see it on google videos for free[/quote]

Instead I watched Fried Green Tomatoes. :smokey:

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1454489' date='Feb 2 2008, 11:08 AM']She was saying that sin at first appeared cute and kind of fun (little fuzzy kitty) and no big deal. But then it grows into something huge and scary (larger cuter fuzzy kitten). The second stuffed animal was actually cuter than the first.[/quote]

Gotta love the scene you're talking about with Sin as a tiger...while she swings the lion.

i saw it and even taped it, but i can't say much. it looks like the place i spent seven years in, starting age 12, just that i was in germany, not the US. but other than that, exatly the same stuff.
i left when i was 19. now, i'm 32 and am still suffering from it.
i pray for all those kids, but also the adults who have grown up in that kind of toxic environment.