An Old School Catholic Message Board

Todays Bible Passage About The Leaper

Pontifite 7 of 10

Pontifite 7 of 10

If you didn't see it on the front page, here is:
[quote]Mk 1:40-45 - 40: And a leper came to him beseeching him, and kneeling said to him, "If you will, you can make me clean." 41: Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." 42: And immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean. 43: And he sternly charged him, and sent him away at once, 44: and said to him, "See that you say nothing to any one; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, for a proof to the people." 45: But he went out and began to talk freely about it, and to spread the news, so that Jesus could no longer openly enter a town, but was out in the country; and people came to him from every quarter.[/quote]
Do you think the leaper made a very serious sin by diliberatly disobeying Jesus? The son of man specificly told him not to do something, but he did it anyway. Just curious on what you guys will say.

It is hard to say. The leper may not have known that Jesus was the Son of God. He may have just taken him for a prophet. So his culpability may have been reduced. It was probably just a sin of weakness or maybe even since it seems the leper couldnt contain himself of being healed. I dont think he deliberately intended to disobey Jesus.

Interesting question.

Not bad for a teenybop :lol:

Pontifite 7 of 10

[quote name='kafka' post='1447064' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:00 PM']Not bad for a teenybop :lol:[/quote]
A what now?

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1447111' date='Jan 17 2008, 05:09 PM']i've never read about leapers in the Bible :unsure: now, lepers, yes. leapers, no.[/quote]

yeah leapers have a lot of hang time.

Leper = person suffering from leprosy
Leaper = one who leaps

Since Christ had not yet fully revealed His divinity, the cured leper was probably not aware that he was disobeying God. And his likely state of extreme excitement at being cured may have lessened his culpability. The Gospel does not tell us enough about the inner state of his soul for us to judge him.

ps. - my little brother, when he was little kid, liked to hear the reading about the "curing of the leopards."

perhaps he was leaping for joy after he was healed. If you were healed from such a disease, do you think you could be silent about it?

interesting question. It would still be a grave sin, though, right? Cause even the prophets of old had power about them... I mean, one prophet was mocked by boys cause he was bald so bears came and ate them... so...

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='1447239' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:20 PM']perhaps he was leaping for joy after he was healed. If you were healed from such a disease, do you think you could be silent about it?[/quote]
good point.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CatholicMom

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='1447239' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:20 PM']perhaps he was leaping for joy after he was healed. If you were healed from such a disease, do you think you could be silent about it?[/quote]

Maybe he was the reason they wrote about 10 Lords a'leaping? But, I must say, that was a great answer Joe

I think it was kind of like telling one of your kids to not do something when you know they are going to do it anyway. Jesus had to know that someone healed of leprosy wasn't just going to go about the rest of his life quietly.