An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Male Contraceptive Pill

Old_Joe

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1447934' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:19 AM']I would think that was a form of self mutilation. If it makes the testicles shrink, I'm pretty sure that not many guys would want to take it.[/quote]

Yet people still take steroids....

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1447929' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:16 PM']Who's Bernie Mac?[/quote]
an [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Mac"]american comedian[/url]

withouthavingseen

Steroids are good for you, aren't they?

The problem with contraception is that it attempts to separate the sexual act from its natural consequence - which is not conception, but the possibility of contraception. In personalist terms, it interferes with the totality of the gift of self that each spouse is supposed to give to the other in the sexual act.

The second problem is that many people bank on it, when in fact you shouldn't take it to the bank, because it's not that secure at all. Approximate 70% of abortions are performed on women whose sexual acts were contracepted unsuccessfully.

A third problem with contraception is that the more effective means are all chemical, which means that somebody (so far, the woman) is pumping chemicals into their body that aren't naturally supposed to be there. Natural mechanisms always fight back when intermingled with. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, right? There is growing evidence of an alarmingly elevated incidence of autoimmunine and psychiatric disorders among men who've had vasectomies; we've all heard about the elevated incidence of breast and ovarian cancers among women who've used the pill for extended periods.

'Roids might be good for you, but IUDs, patches, shots, etc., are not.

'Roids probably aren't either.

Pontifite 7 of 10

[quote name='RandomProddy' post='1447895' date='Jan 19 2008, 06:39 PM']Weedkiller?[/quote]
Weeds don't have souls
[quote name='Justin86' post='1447922' date='Jan 19 2008, 07:13 PM']Well, I don't think we should be calling it the "nasty business". Sex is a beautiful gift that allows us to co-operate with His creation. But yes, if you don't want a child than don't have sex.[/quote]
Of course, but, being human, we abused it.
Sex is not sacred, sex is the center of perverted jokes, people do it in movies entertain others.
It can be an evil thing if abused. Like all the sexual images in the media, do you not agree that is nasty?

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1450953' date='Jan 26 2008, 05:11 AM']Weeds don't have souls[/quote]

Yes, but you posted a very simplistic and far-reaching statement:

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1447855' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:17 PM']Anything that surpresses life is wrong.[/quote]

..that was clearly incorrect. Be more careful next time ;)

Mind you, being a mathematician, I happen to think in terms of "proof by counterexample" or "reducio ad absurdum" so in some ways you became a victim of my messed-up brain :D

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1450953' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:41 AM']Weeds don't have souls[/quote]

Not even vegetative souls? :P

Edited by Innocent

Pontifite 7 of 10

[quote name='Innocent' post='1451137' date='Jan 26 2008, 10:41 AM']Not even vegetative souls? :P[/quote]
Why do I insist on comeing in here...
:duh:

[quote name='Paddington' post='1447925' date='Jan 19 2008, 07:15 PM']Bernie Mac: "Sex isn't beautiful. It's disgusting and it hurts."[/quote]

He must be doing something wrong.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1446811' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:40 AM']Well, in an ethics class last semester, a prof. told us that originally, they were working on a male contraceptive pill before they looked at one for females. They abandoned the project for male pills when one of the test subjects had his testicles shrink. Three women died in the testing of the female contraceptive pill, and then they decided they needed to lower the dosages.[/quote]

On a side note, this is one reason why any self-respecting woman should want to avoid the Pill even if she isn't a Catholic. "We were going to make one for men, but it caused one subject's testicles to shrink, so we decided that it's preferable to mutilate women's bodies rather than men's."

And some people see the Pill as a liberation.

MissScripture

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1451247' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:45 PM']On a side note, this is one reason why any self-respecting woman should want to avoid the Pill even if she isn't a Catholic. "We were going to make one for men, but it caused one subject's testicles to shrink, so we decided that it's preferable to mutilate women's bodies rather than men's."

And some people see the Pill as a liberation.[/quote]
Exactly. I think that was the point that the prof (who was also a priest) was trying to make, because not all of our class is Catholic...but I'm not 100% positive, because he jumped around a lot when he was talking.

[color="blue"][quote name='Socrates' post='1446849' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:45 PM']And I don't see how any substance which significantly lowers sperm count could be healthy for a man.[/quote]
[quote name='CatherineM' post='1447934' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:19 PM']I would think that was a form of self mutilation. If it makes the testicles shrink, I'm pretty sure that not many guys would want to take it.[/quote]

Not that I'm not sympathetic to what the male contraceptive would do to a man's body - and what we haven't yet figured out that it will do - but even with that, the female pill still seems to be, almost incomparably, worse. :unsure: From headaches and blood clots to cancer, infertility and death. This is extremely concerning to me. Maybe that's a positive thing, in that it will... eventually... cause women to waken up as to what they're taking, or maybe not. :unsure:

I remember talking about the early 20th century male contraceptive study with my women's studies class and they were trying to figure out why the men reacted so "harshly" at the mere shrinkage of their testicles. I think my "liberated" classmates' conclusions hovered around (and please pardon the artistic latitude of summarization):

1. Back in ignorant times, fertility was linked to masculinity and a man's sense of "being a man". So much so that, in their selfishness, men didn't want to sacrifice anything to get the desired result: sex without children. In today's equitable society, that's just not a fair reaction. They can't just chose to reject manipulation and make us be the only ones that do it. Stupid patricarchical masculinity. We should help them. Keep them condoms coming until they have to take a pill too.

and/or

2. It was more important for us first anyway. We needed to stop having babies so we could finally do something that liberates us from the ties 24 hour housework and child care. We'd been waiting 4,000 to finally get to use our brains.

Definitely no sentiments of, "well... maybe they were onto something there." Let's hope men are stay strong enough to have an element of their sexuality stay naturally tied to their masculinity. Perhaps because their sex organs are on the outside, it's almost painfully obvious that contraceptives truly aren't healthy and are a form of self-mutilation. You can help lead us back :) [Although the vasectomy hasn't illustrated that quite as poignantly as we all would hope it would have by now... ]

As another FYI, the shady dealings of early birth control pills extends into Margaret Sanger's famously overlooked eugenicism (although it's gotten more attention in the past decade than I think it ever has), the targeted encouragement of the pill and all contraceptives to African Americans, and the test runs of the female pill on impoverished Puerto Ricans, most of whom were never told the effects or consequences (including death) of the drug they were taking beyond "preventing more children".

[url="http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2004/vol8n27/AngerPill.html"]http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/20.../AngerPill.html[/url][/color]

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1451162' date='Jan 26 2008, 12:44 PM']Why do I insist on comeing in here...
:duh:[/quote]

FYI, the soul is the animating principal of a living thing. And, you keep coming here cause I told you to, and you're learning. Here's a cookie.