An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Male Contraceptive Pill

Old_Joe

While I understand that and agree that all forms of contraceptive are morally wrong, what about a contraceptive pill for men that works by lowering the amount of sperm? There's still a chance for conception. It's just more diffcult.

I'm not advocating the use of it. I just thought it was a moral question that should be raised and explored.

Edited by Old_Joe

I would say it is also immoral. What would be the point of a pill that just lowers perm count? It would have to eliminate active sperm.

I see it in the sense that even NFP can be immoral if used with a contraception mentality. By that I mean the sole purpose of its use is to avoid conception for non-serious means.

I think this would fall into that category. But I am not a theologian on these things.

[quote name='prose' post='1446486' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:44 AM']I would say it is also immoral. What would be the point of a pill that just lowers perm count?[/quote]
uh, less curly-headed children?

:lol_pound: okay, sorry, couldn't resist.

MissScripture

Well, in an ethics class last semester, a prof. told us that originally, they were working on a male contraceptive pill before they looked at one for females. They abandoned the project for male pills when one of the test subjects had his testicles shrink. Three women died in the testing of the female contraceptive pill, and then they decided they needed to lower the dosages.

Sperm use success in numbers to survive the chemically hostile environment of the vagina. Also, the currents within the uterus and fallopian tubes tend to keep defective sperm, along with many non-defectives from reaching the egg. Therefore, low sperm count causes effective sterility.

Even so, it is an intentional form of chemical castration. It is just another facet of Onanism.

I don't see how it would be morally different than other forms of contraception. Most forms of contraception are not 100% effective anyway. The intent would be to actively hinder conception, so the intent would be the same as one using a condom (which after all, could break or fail).

And I don't see how any substance which significantly lowers sperm count could be healthy for a man.

There is no 100% effective method of contraception in existence. Theoritically, they ALL leave open the possibilty of pregancy. That's not what it means to be "open to life". The intention of this is the same as the condom and the pill: contraception, [i]againist conception[/i]. Any activity in working againist conception outside of abstainence is therefore immoral.

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1447855' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:17 PM']Anything that surpresses life is wrong.[/quote]

Weedkiller?

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1447855' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:17 AM']Anything that surpresses life is wrong.
If you don't want a kid, don't do the nasty buisness.[/quote]
Well, I don't think we should be calling it the "nasty business". Sex is a beautiful gift that allows us to co-operate with His creation. But yes, if you don't want a child than don't have sex.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1447922' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:43 PM']Well, I don't think we should be calling it the "nasty business". Sex is a beautiful gift that allows us to co-operate with His creation. But yes, if you don't want a child than don't have sex.[/quote]

Bernie Mac: "Sex isn't beautiful. It's disgusting and it hurts."

I've never once thought about actually taking contraception (actually I have thought about a future vasectomy before but not in years.) It is a truly weird feeling to know that there could be a contraceptive that somebody asks me if I take. Now I know how women feel.

That was it.

I had two insights.

1. That I had a weird feeling.
2. That I know how women feel, which is probably not very true at all.

I would think that was a form of self mutilation. If it makes the testicles shrink, I'm pretty sure that not many guys would want to take it.

If they come out with a version without that side effect, it would be very marketable.

Although, if it is just the testicles, then it probably could be marketable. :mellow:

Not that I'm supporting this stuff.....blah, blah, blah....I'm so holy......blah, blah, blah