An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Anyone Have A Relative Or Close Friend Who Is Gay Or Lesbian?

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='Socrates' post='1445893' date='Jan 14 2008, 10:17 PM']In the same vein, a Christian should not identify oneself as "gay" or "lesbian."[/quote]

I respectfully disagree.

Is it also wrong for a Christian to identify oneself as Autistic? Bipolar? Alcoholic? Schizophrenic?

Being an alcoholic is not sinful, getting drunk is.

[quote]Socrates writes: Having homosexual inclinations is an objective disorder towards an intrinsically sinful act.[/quote]
[quote]Socrates writes: There is no solid evidence that anyone was "born gay." Despite the hype, no "gay gene" has ever been found.[/quote]
There is absolutely no solid evidence that sin exists or that GOD punishes or takes offense to human homosexual tendency and behavior.

Edited by carrdero

[quote name='carrdero' post='1446415' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:26 AM']There is absolutely no solid evidence that sin exists or that GOD punishes or takes offense to human homosexual tendency and behavior.[/quote]
Except for, you know, that whole complete devastation of Sodom and Gomorrah thing... :unsure:

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1446081' date='Jan 15 2008, 01:21 PM']I respectfully disagree.

Is it also wrong for a Christian to identify oneself as Autistic? Bipolar? Alcoholic? Schizophrenic?

Being an alcoholic is not sinful, getting drunk is.[/quote]

+

I'm taking into account the lifestyles I dare say universally associated with those terms. For someone to say, "I have or struggle with SSA" is a different story. It is no longer their identity.

[quote]+

I'm taking into account the lifestyles I dare say universally associated with those terms. For someone to say, "I have or struggle with SSA" is a different story. It is no longer their identity.[/quote]

Yeah, the problem is that the words gay and lesbian have all kinds of baggage associated with them. There isn't an autistic culture. People don't go hang out at autistic bars.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1445973' date='Jan 15 2008, 04:13 AM']If someone tells me they are gay, I don't immediately assume that they are having sex with other people. Don't assume that because someone says they are gay or lesbian means they are living the lifestyle.
If homosexuality is bad, then that person who is homosexual is also "bad" and they can't do anything about it. Are you saying that they are sinning constantly by being gay?[/quote]

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1446081' date='Jan 15 2008, 02:21 PM']I respectfully disagree.

Being an alcoholic is not sinful, getting drunk is.[/quote]
Veritas and others have basically answered this question more eloquently than I could in several posts on here.
When someone told that her friend or cousin was "gay," I assumed they were "living the lifestyle."
"Gay" and "lesbian" usually don't refer just to a condition, but to an entire socio-cultural identity - which is built around perverted sexuality and sexual acts. (Think of "gay bars," "gay parades," "gay magazines," etc.)
Fifty years ago, there was no such thing as a "gay" identity. If someone was "gay," it meant they were happy or cheerful. Homosexuality was regarded as a shameful personal vice.

When someone identifies oneself as alcoholic, etc., it is admitting to having a disorder, and seeking help. "Coming out" as "gay" usually means positively affirming one's own homosexuality and identifying with a perverted lifestyle.

[quote]It cannot be said that "God doesn't make anyone gay" either. Whether or not God made them gay should not have anything to do with it. So what if God made them gay? He made them gay, then.
The sin of the Sodomites is referring to homosexual acts, not homosexuality in itself.[/quote]
Saying "God made me gay" is implying that homosexuality is a good thing, rather than something disordered.
God does not [b]make[/b] anyone have an inclination toward a sin. God doesn't make people "gay" anymore than he makes people inclined towards theft, murder or adultery.
Yes, God allows evil to occur as a result of original sin - but this is different than saying God makes the evil inclination. Man's original sin is the ultimate cause of sin and disorder, not God.

Guest Jozzyjo

[quote name='SanctitasDeo' post='1446660' date='Jan 16 2008, 08:36 PM']Yeah, the problem is that the words gay and lesbian have all kinds of baggage associated with them. There isn't an autistic culture. People don't go hang out at autistic bars.[/quote]

There is nothing "wrong" being autistic. I work with autistic men and women. They are people like you and me that see things diffrently. Autism is something you are born with. It is not a sin at all. They can't help it if they were born diffrently then the "avrege" child (actually I wonder what the "avrege" is no one is the same...everyone is diffrent).
I do admit some people "use" there handi-caps to get away with bad things. and that is wrong. I do not agree with some of the things I have seen them do, then they say they "didn't know they did it". And that is usaully a lie. BUT, a true autistic person is actually an amazing person. I have spent days studying (reading books) and spending time with autistic men and women. I have learned so much from them. Then I go to youth group and here the "normal" kids making fun of the other kids. It is not right.
In some countries they will kill an autistic child. That is sad. I have learned more from them than anyone else.
They are no diffrent than us, just see things diffrently. So, please don't say it is a sin to be autistic (I bet you that there are atleast 10 people on this bored who are autistic).

God Bless,
Jozzy

For the record, I didn't even know what SSA was until I started perusing Catholic boards, so to assume that someone would use that term if they weren't proud of their homosexuality is a little bit presumptuous.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1446813' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:41 PM']Veritas and others have basically answered this question more eloquently than I could in several posts on here.
When someone told that her friend or cousin was "gay," I assumed they were "living the lifestyle."[/quote]

You must just be one of those people who does that then because I don't make assumptions like that. "Gay" is slang for "homosexual", in my view.

[quote]Saying "God made me gay" is implying that homosexuality is a good thing, rather than something disordered.
God does not [b]make[/b] anyone have an inclination toward a sin. God doesn't make people "gay" anymore than he makes people inclined towards theft, murder or adultery.
Yes, God allows evil to occur as a result of original sin - but this is different than saying God makes the evil inclination. Man's original sin is the ultimate cause of sin and disorder, not God.[/quote]

Okay, did you even read what I posted previously? Homosexuality is NOT a sin. It is NOT a sin. Homosexual activity IS a sin. I don't think homosexuality is like "yay, it's great!" but it is not "bad" or "evil." It's a serious issue and for some it is a serious and difficult struggle.

You're making that generalization again: God doesn't make people gay. Well, believe it or not, some people have been born with homosexual tendencies. You don't keep track of every gay person who has ever been born. You don't keep track of their life. You cannot say "God does not make people gay". You're not God. How would you know that?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1446587' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:27 PM']Except for, you know, that whole complete devastation of Sodom and Gomorrah thing... :unsure:[/quote]
I reiterate:
[quote]carrdero reiterates: There is absolutely no solid evidence that sin exists or that GOD punishes or takes offense to human homosexual tendency and behavior.[/quote]

[quote name='carrdero' post='1446899' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:36 AM']I reiterate:[/quote]

+

I too once named a religion after myself. Then, I turned 13. (ooh, that one kind of hurt -but it's true!)

[quote name='Jozzyjo' post='1446814' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:42 PM']There is nothing "wrong" being autistic. I work with autistic men and women. They are people like you and me that see things diffrently. Autism is something you are born with. It is not a sin at all. They can't help it if they were born diffrently then the "avrege" child (actually I wonder what the "avrege" is no one is the same...everyone is diffrent).
I do admit some people "use" there handi-caps to get away with bad things. and that is wrong. I do not agree with some of the things I have seen them do, then they say they "didn't know they did it". And that is usaully a lie. BUT, a true autistic person is actually an amazing person. I have spent days studying (reading books) and spending time with autistic men and women. I have learned so much from them. Then I go to youth group and here the "normal" kids making fun of the other kids. It is not right.
In some countries they will kill an autistic child. That is sad. I have learned more from them than anyone else.
They are no diffrent than us, just see things diffrently. So, please don't say it is a sin to be autistic (I bet you that there are atleast 10 people on this bored who are autistic).

God Bless,
Jozzy[/quote]

+

Hi Jozzy,

I think you misinterpreted his post -I don't think he at all said that autism is sinful. So, be at peace, sister :)

Best,
Julie

Guest Jozzyjo

I'm sorry, that is not how I meant it or anything. Please don't think I meant to be rude or anything.

I'm very sorry!! Please forgive me.

God Bless,
Jozzy

Pontifite 7 of 10

[quote name='Veritas' post='1445820' date='Jan 14 2008, 09:26 PM']+

Yes, it's clearly glamorized in the culture today. It's "cool" to be bi. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's so blatantly rooted in insecurity, and the overt sexualization of young girl "role-models" is clearly an antagonist. Need I mention: Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, etc. Just say no to MTV.[/quote]
My mom says girls are "just being lazy" now but I its more than that. I see a pattern in all the bi people I know. They all wnet to public schools most of their lifes. Where you can be who ever and whatever you want with no limitations. I think the lack of religious background of any kind and the notion of being "free" of the "lies of religon" contributes. Television, as you said, doesn't help either.

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='Alycin' post='1446830' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:18 PM']For the record, I didn't even know what SSA was until I started perusing Catholic boards, so to assume that someone would use that term if they weren't proud of their homosexuality is a little bit presumptuous.[/quote]

Wait...what does SSA mean?