An Old School Catholic Message Board

Status Of The Orthodox Church

qfnol31

Laudate_Dominum

On another note does anyone have a favorite Orthodox theologian or two? I'm thinking mainly of modern theologians but any will do. I'm just curious.

I haven't read as much as I would like but at this point I am partial to Florovsky and Lossky and I'm quite fond of Schmemann's books. I would like to study Bulgakov but I'm a little scared.

PapaHilarious

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1445373' date='Jan 13 2008, 03:18 PM']Papa, that is a sad site with sad words, but that is not the majority view of the greek church. In the same way as every group of people has some idiots we need to understand that we do and so do they. We have said negative things about the east, and the east has said negative stuff on us. We have tried to make them latin by almost erasing their traditions which are apostolic and should be a part of our faith as well. Because they see this constant threat of assimulation they defend against that. There is so much pain this this struggle.[/quote]

Well-said. I just wish that site would stop popping up first every time I google Eastern Fathers! :)

I do not see that site as entirely negative myself. But, interesting enough I googled "eastern fathers" and the website in question did not come up until the bottom of the 8th page.

[url="http://www.google.com/search?q=eastern+fathers&hl=en&start=70&sa=N"]http://www.google.com/search?q=eastern+fat...art=70&sa=N[/url]

[quote name='qfnol31' post='1444810' date='Jan 12 2008, 09:59 AM']....It's like me calling Apotheoun of blessed memory (I mean Todd on the phorum) ......[/quote]

Did anything happen to Apotheoun?

Edited by Innocent

I love TODD. I want to be his groupie. I love reading his writings. Him and L_D should just get people to sit near a pond and talk all day. I would bring some bottled water and a blanket to sit on. I would enjoy that day.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1445647' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:54 PM']I would like to study Bulgakov but I'm a little scared.[/quote]

I got a teeny bit into Bulgakov because of my college minor (Russian Studies). [i]The Master and Margarita[/i] is one of my favorite books. It absolutely forces a reader to think. Bulgakov was a brilliant satirist. Just thought I would share.

Okay, back on topic.