An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglican Split?

gamesfanatic04

gamesfanatic04

I saw this one coming a mile away, but was honestly surprised to see the conservative Anglicans in the minority [url="http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=26357"]http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=26357[/url]

The Anglican primate of Canterberry is off his rocker when he tries to stop this from happening by pretending Anglicans already have unity. There are numerous divisions in the Anglican community already because some don't exactly like what others say, though they all seem to have the "book of Common Prayer". I'm not surprised. Maybe if protestantism fractures enough, then they would stop being original or maybe just stop being protestant? Or maybe stop being Christian? There are only so many ways Christianity can be sliced up until people decide to come home.

Does that make any sense?

SanctitasDeo

[quote]. Maybe if protestantism fractures enough, then they would stop being original or maybe just stop being protestant? Or maybe stop being Christian? There are only so many ways Christianity can be sliced up until people decide to come home.

Does that make any sense?[/quote]

Personally, I think that the Protestants have already stopped being protestant. Or at least a great many of them. The way I see it, many Protestants and many Christians have quit caring about denominations, doctrinal unity, and in many cases, doctrine at all. The nondenominational church is, I think, testament to this phenomenon.

Christianity can be sliced up all over the place, and people will still call it Christianity. And what will they call home when they no longer recognize a need for a body unified in doctrine?

For the Anglicans, this may be true, however. But I think it just as likely that we will end up with a Liberal Anglican Church and a conservative or Orthodox Anglican Church.

gamesfanatic04

I know this doesn't add anything to the discussion, but why can't you play chess with an Anglican?

They can't tell a bishop from a king.

[quote name='gamesfanatic04' post='1443960' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:30 AM']I know this doesn't add anything to the discussion, but why can't you play chess with an Anglican?

They can't tell a bishop from a king.[/quote]
:hehe: I've heard that one before!

How about another!

"Why can't you play chess against an Episcopalian?
Because there is no king on their side"

The version of that joke that I heard was:

[i]Q: Why can't you play chess with an Anglican?

A: They can't tell a bishop from a queen
[/i]

In reference to the Gene Robinson homosexual bishop thing.