An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Vocation

friendofJPII

Religious Vocation Relief  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1442133' date='Jan 4 2008, 06:20 PM']Well, from a worldy perspective being a sister (or any consecrated person) is just weird. And my prideful self does not want to be looked upon as wierd, I want to be perceived as normal. (Although anyone who follows the Lord these days will be considered a freak, regardless of vocation). And in [i]authentic[/i] religious life, you have to dress a certain way (aren't they hot in those habits?), keep to a strict schedule and supress your will and true desires in order to live out the vow of obedience. It seems rather stifling. I do feel a certain disdain for the life, and that concerns me, because as a good Catholic I shouldn't. That's one issue that I wonder about, we are called to supress our wills and mortify our senses, but where in the process to we lose ourselves? I remember some people at FUS walked around and they just didn't seem real. Like you could have told them that their entire family burned to death in a fire and they would just say, "Okay, if that's God's will," with a big placid smile. That just doesn't seem normal to me.[/quote]

This is not meant to be hurtful but, the Lord may not be asking you to become a nun. If Christ is truly in your heart and you surrender yourself to God, you are giving up your will, you are giving up your desires. We are all called on this earth to do God's will. You come into this world with nothing and you will leave with nothing. In between, it is what you do for God that will determine where you will be for eternity. What you wear, own or where you live are just attachments. They do not define your inner being.
For me, it wasn't until I realized that I had no control over anything in my life and agreed to "lose" myself, that I found happiness.
Like I said before, it came too late for me to become a nun but, I will gladly give every remaining minute of my life to God's will.
God may have other plans for you for now but, if you hear him calling, make sure to listen. :rolleyes:

I answered: I think I do (or I am already in) relgious life but I was scared at first

I was spent months and months telling God that I would do anything EXCEPT be a nun for Him when the idea first came into my heart after praying for months for some guidance in my life. When I started this whole discernment journey, I had promised God that I would be open. Even though the idea of religious life scared me, I was still open enough to go and visit a few convents. I am so glad that I did. I have met many wonderful sisters that have helped me to grow and mature in holiness. I still feel a strong tug on my heart towards religious life. I'll be happy to do whatever God wills for my life because I know that His plan will bring me more joy, peace, and happiness than anything that I could ever imagine. All vocations require sacrafice, but the sacrafice does not compare to what we'll gain in heaven as saints. Jesus is not outdone in generosity. Abandon yourself to God's will because you'll never, never regret it!!!

No vocation is meant to be easy. Every vocation is God calling a person to embrace the cross, just in different ways. The cross involves sacrifice of everything- our will, our wishes, our dreams, our control over our own lives. Since every vocation involves sacrifice and suffering, it is only natural for joy to be mixed with trepidation. Life is hard, no matter how God is calling you to live it, but by Grace we will persevere!

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1445760' date='Jan 14 2008, 07:24 PM']There needs to be a choice for someone who has no idea what he wants to do.[/quote]

Vocations aren't necessarily about what a person wants, but rather, what God wants from the person.

[quote name='Dismas' post='1440834' date='Dec 31 2007, 11:55 PM']In the bottom of my heart, I know I am called to be a friar priest.

I'm selfish, cruel, craven, lazy and arrogant. I am dissolute, envious, licentious, and crude. I lack compassion, honesty, and motivation. I am a bitter, shiftless, curmudgeon. I am wholly lacking in temperance and chastity. One could say that I have the morality of a cat. I am a wreck of a man.

And then, when I am alone at night, I ask, "Why me, Lord? I'm the worst person I know! The last thing this Church needs is someone like me in authority!" I know the answer, of course, but it doesn't make it easier to accept.

My grandfather on my mom's side has been telling me for some time that I always had the priesthood in me. I have been approached by total strangers while at Holy Hill asking if I was a priest to bless their rosaries. Even other priests have reacted to me as if I were one. At unguarded moments I have spoken of joining the priesthood even before my reversion.

Yet this is completely not what I had in mind for myself. I was the one who yearned to settle down and have a big family from the beginning. I had my career planned out ahead of me. Oh, and I am quite aware that I am the last chance to carry on the family name.

But all that doesn't matter. I have no peace within the world, and I know it. Ten thousand evils a day stream about me, most of which are seriously tempting, yet I know they are empty. I am so weak in my will, how can I be courageous as a priest when I am a coward today? I approach this new life with all the confidence in myself as a third string rookie quarterback taking to the field in overtime during the Superbowl. God help me!

God chooses a priest before he is even conceived, and that man must come to terms with that destiny. We read stories filled with great and terrible destinies; they fill our libraries. Yet kings, heroes, and wizards don't hold the living Son of God in their hands. They are not called to empty themselves out until there is nothing left, then empty some more. Kings, heroes, and wizards are not destined to crawling into an empty bed every night. Those fairytale heroes will not die alone and forgotten. And yet this is the destiny if all things go reasonably well, which I suspect they won't. I fear for the Church here and abroad, and I have a good idea of what we may be in for.

"Scared" is not the word. "Terrified out of my skull" does manage to approach it, however.[/quote]
Man, you're living the destiny now. Your tale will not go unread. You should write it! I guess every man has to face the battlefield at some point. Imagine the general hands you your sword and all of the sudden you're standing in ranks with many other men with different destinies... the general walks along clanking his sword agaisnt every man's then orders the charge. All men who were drafted were called to empty their lives out till nothing was left. Heck, many die alone in the battle. But in the end, the General's strategy was perfect. The war is won. Yes, a priest's tale may end of him climbing into a cold, empty bed at night, but that's not the worst of it. Even a married man/woman has to face that one day. Which will be harder?
Btw, the last statement you made was quite humourous. It did a good job of changing the solemn, adventurous tone (I don't know how else to describe the feeling of extacy I get when I think of those great tales of olde, like LotR, etc) of your post.
[quote name='Spamity Calamity' post='1441635' date='Jan 3 2008, 02:26 PM']Whoah...thats cool.[/quote]
I know, eh.

[quote name='Paddington' post='1441978' date='Jan 4 2008, 11:09 AM']I can't be a priest, because of epilepsy.[/quote]
Why do you say that? (I know what epilepsy is, btw)

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1442143' date='Jan 4 2008, 06:43 PM']...
As for the habits, the sisters I know assure me that they are quite comfortable. :) I have spent most of my life in the Middle East, where searing temperatures and long flowing cloaks with headcoverings are the norm, and I know from experience that long clothes can be cool if they're made from the right fabric. When the temperature is at 48 degrees Celsius, it is much more pleasant to be in a long, floaty cotton robe with a lightweight scarf on your head than it is to be in shorts and a T-shirt. You would be a boiled lobster within seconds.[/quote]
A bit off topic, but an intersting point you make about dress in hot hot temperatures. Wow... 48 Celsius... I guess I can see how long flowing robes can keep one cool. Probably how the wind catches in them... and all the shade it provides.

I don't know what I'm supposed to be, and I'm scared as heck! Well... scared maybe not so much, but most definitely nervous.

I thought I'd either be a Carmelite Friar or married, so I visited the Carmelites to check them out and within two days I had a bad itching to leave... but no stronger call to the married life.

I think the best advice I got from some of the older 40+ year professed friars was that when God reveals your vocation to you, you will know it and have peace with it. Doesn't mean it won't be hard, or even scary, but you will know.

I look forward to knowing, but I'm scared that religious life might be the answer.

I really want a family :(

[quote name='Slappo' post='1449501' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:34 PM']I don't know what I'm supposed to be, and I'm scared as heck! Well... scared maybe not so much, but most definitely nervous.

I thought I'd either be a Carmelite Friar or married, so I visited the Carmelites to check them out and within two days I had a bad itching to leave... but no stronger call to the married life.

I think the best advice I got from some of the older 40+ year professed friars was that when God reveals your vocation to you, you will know it and have peace with it. Doesn't mean it won't be hard, or even scary, but you will know.

I look forward to knowing, but I'm scared that religious life might be the answer.

I really want a family :([/quote]
Not every Order is for every disposition or demeanor. Perhaps you are called to Religious life, however it may well be one of a wholly different spirituality than that of the Carmelites.

Also, you could be called to be a husband and father, in which case you are obligated to have enough children to make up for my celibacy. :P

How about an option for those of us who never considered a vocation, and by the time they got serious about the Faith, they were already married? If by some horrible tragedy I find myself single, and without thew children to take care of, I would want to join a contemplative order and just pray all the time.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1441859' date='Jan 3 2008, 09:55 PM']I think I'll end up married; but I know several nuns and sisters who thought the same thing. I also know several married ladies who thought they would become nuns or sisters. So basically I'm not sure where I will end up, but I'm not worried about it either.[/quote]

watch it, now, with the "end up" - i know you know marriage is not a default vocation.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1442133' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:20 PM']It seems rather stifling.[/quote]

actually, religious life is more freeing than married life. Authentic Sisters and Friars i know would consider their lives as living with one foot in Heaven and the other still here on earth.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1442145' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:54 PM']I've certainly never heard an older nun say that no one with a true vocation has problems in the religious life.[/quote]

and i've never heard a wife or husband say they had no problems in their marriage!

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1442145' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:54 PM']Nuns are surprisingly ordinary people, although there is a tendency to romanticise their lives to the point where authenticity is determined by how 'traditional' (read picturesque-looking) their habits are and whether they take pretty titles after their religious names. Don't let this blind you.[/quote]

well-said.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1442675' date='Jan 6 2008, 08:58 AM']every Catholic is called to seriously discern religious life, but too few are brave enough to do it. they just write it off without knowing a thing about it. let's pray for those who should have had a vocation but ignored it..[/quote]

AMEN! Preach it!

I felt a call to the religious life from the age of 14 on, but I was met with such resistance from my family that after several years, I gave up and went to college to study what they wanted me to. Neither of my foster sons ended up having a vocation to the priesthood, but at least I talked about it to them, and encouraged them to consider it. I didn't want to do to them what had been done to me. I'm happy in my marriage, and don't consider it a fall back position, but will never admit my mother was right in what she did.

I have always fought the idea of a religious vocation. My dad, my uncle, and my grandfather are all ordained ministers. From the time I was born it was always assumed that I was going to follow in their footsteps. I just ever felt the calling to religion. My life plan lead me in another direction and I'm happy with where it lead me.

missionarybelle

i've prayed about a call to the religious life for the past years and tried to be as open to it as possible but i've always felt called to the married life. i'm not against it and have many dear friends in seminary or discerning religious life, i just feel that God's calling me in a different direction.

but to be honest, i'v been scared of becoming a sister or nun. i shouldn't be, be deep down, i've have times where i've been scared to lose myself and abandon myself to God in that way. i've been scared to give up the life i've always desired ever since i can remember.

but i'm also scared to get married. i can see my own sinfulness and I know i can't get married and stay married my entire life without God's grace. i'm scared of abandoning myself every day to His will and sacrificing a million times each day for my future children if God blesses me with them.

i think sometimes, the more i learn about the awesomeness and beauty of each vocation, the more scared out of my pants i become and overcome by the thought of them. granted, i know God will be there beside me every step f the way and i'll be truly happy deep down if i'm in His will, but there are days when i am absolutely terrified.