An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Vocation

friendofJPII

Religious Vocation Relief  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Howcome there's no options that say:
I don't know if I have a vocation, and I am scared.
or
I don't know if I have a vocation, but I'm not scared.
?
I think I fall in to the latter of my to categories, because I have confidence that God will put me where he needs me.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1440643' date='Dec 31 2007, 05:25 PM']Howcome there's no options that say:
I don't know if I have a vocation, and I am scared.
or
I don't know if I have a vocation, but I'm not scared.
?
I think I fall in to the latter of my to categories, because I have confidence that God will put me where he needs me.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have added those choices. I think your feelings are closer to the last option.

I think I am called to the religious life. I am scared and I don't think my parents will approve, but I feel as if God is leading me in that direction. But who knows, I'm only 17 and we will see what happens!

cathoholic_anonymous

I think I am called to the religious life. When I first realised it (aged ten or thereabouts) I had no fear at all, just wonder and excitement. The fear only crept into it when I was in my first year at university, and I thought, "It's going to happen someday quite soon. Help! Where do I go? What do I do?"

friendofJPII

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1440733' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:32 PM']I think I am called to the religious life. When I first realised it (aged ten or thereabouts) I had no fear at all, just wonder and excitement. The fear only crept into it when I was in my first year at university, and I thought, "It's going to happen someday quite soon. Help! Where do I go? What do I do?"[/quote]

I guess the reason why I posted this poll is because I'm relieved not that I'm not called to religous life. I enjoy living in the world (not of it, of course) and relating to people in everyday life. while I think it is beautiful, I have absolutely no desire to be a sister, actually the thought of being one scares the life out of me ....I feel as tho I would lose my identity. So I posted this poll to see if I am normal or a pagan....

Edited by friendofJPII

cathoholic_anonymous

I don't think there is a standard reaction. People's responses to their own calling in life will differ depending on their personalities.

I have no fear of any other vocation. I can't see myself living as a single person in the world, but I'm not afraid of the possibility. I used to be afraid of marriage, as babies always seemed so fragile and I was convinced that I would accidentally break mine if I ever had one. (The fear ended when I started getting all wistful at the thought of having children, which I think is usual in women.)

As I am sure you're aware, fear of the religious life can be a sign of a call in some cases. ;) But not always.

I'm now realizing that I might be called to a religious vocation, and I'm not scared about that. Being a nun would be amazing. Choosing an order would be hard, but that's why the Holy Spirit guides us. :)

but I might be called to be married... and I'm not scared about that, either. being married would be amazing, too.

so I'm fine with whatever God wants, but... I really don't know what that is, and I'm scared that I'll mess it all up. I tend to do that. :) but if I do, He'll help me get back on track, so I'm not too scared, because I trust Him.

PERSONWITHADOG

hello my name is jacob bodman i am in a minor seminary ran by the Legion of Christ and regnum Christi.

www.vocation.com www.regnumchristi.com

i will pray for yalls choice of vocation and it is the one God wants

In the bottom of my heart, I know I am called to be a friar priest.

I'm selfish, cruel, craven, lazy and arrogant. I am dissolute, envious, licentious, and crude. I lack compassion, honesty, and motivation. I am a bitter, shiftless, curmudgeon. I am wholly lacking in temperance and chastity. One could say that I have the morality of a cat. I am a wreck of a man.

And then, when I am alone at night, I ask, "Why me, Lord? I'm the worst person I know! The last thing this Church needs is someone like me in authority!" I know the answer, of course, but it doesn't make it easier to accept.

My grandfather on my mom's side has been telling me for some time that I always had the priesthood in me. I have been approached by total strangers while at Holy Hill asking if I was a priest to bless their rosaries. Even other priests have reacted to me as if I were one. At unguarded moments I have spoken of joining the priesthood even before my reversion.

Yet this is completely not what I had in mind for myself. I was the one who yearned to settle down and have a big family from the beginning. I had my career planned out ahead of me. Oh, and I am quite aware that I am the last chance to carry on the family name.

But all that doesn't matter. I have no peace within the world, and I know it. Ten thousand evils a day stream about me, most of which are seriously tempting, yet I know they are empty. I am so weak in my will, how can I be courageous as a priest when I am a coward today? I approach this new life with all the confidence in myself as a third string rookie quarterback taking to the field in overtime during the Superbowl. God help me!

God chooses a priest before he is even conceived, and that man must come to terms with that destiny. We read stories filled with great and terrible destinies; they fill our libraries. Yet kings, heroes, and wizards don't hold the living Son of God in their hands. They are not called to empty themselves out until there is nothing left, then empty some more. Kings, heroes, and wizards are not destined to crawling into an empty bed every night. Those fairytale heroes will not die alone and forgotten. And yet this is the destiny if all things go reasonably well, which I suspect they won't. I fear for the Church here and abroad, and I have a good idea of what we may be in for.

"Scared" is not the word. "Terrified out of my skull" does manage to approach it, however.

friendofJPII

[quote name='Dismas' post='1440834' date='Jan 1 2008, 12:55 AM']In the bottom of my heart, I know I am called to be a friar priest.

I'm selfish, cruel, craven, lazy and arrogant. I am dissolute, envious, licentious, and crude. I lack compassion, honesty, and motivation. I am a bitter, shiftless, curmudgeon. I am wholly lacking in temperance and chastity. One could say that I have the morality of a cat. I am a wreck of a man.

And then, when I am alone at night, I ask, "Why me, Lord? I'm the worst person I know! The last thing this Church needs is someone like me in authority!" I know the answer, of course, but it doesn't make it easier to accept.

My grandfather on my mom's side has been telling me for some time that I always had the priesthood in me. I have been approached by total strangers while at Holy Hill asking if I was a priest to bless their rosaries. Even other priests have reacted to me as if I were one. At unguarded moments I have spoken of joining the priesthood even before my reversion.

Yet this is completely not what I had in mind for myself. I was the one who yearned to settle down and have a big family from the beginning. I had my career planned out ahead of me. Oh, and I am quite aware that I am the last chance to carry on the family name.

But all that doesn't matter. I have no peace within the world, and I know it. Ten thousand evils a day stream about me, most of which are seriously tempting, yet I know they are empty. I am so weak in my will, how can I be courageous as a priest when I am a coward today? I approach this new life with all the confidence in myself as a third string rookie quarterback taking to the field in overtime during the Superbowl. God help me!

God chooses a priest before he is even conceived, and that man must come to terms with that destiny. We read stories filled with great and terrible destinies; they fill our libraries. Yet kings, heroes, and wizards don't hold the living Son of God in their hands. They are not called to empty themselves out until there is nothing left, then empty some more. Kings, heroes, and wizards are not destined to crawling into an empty bed every night. Those fairytale heroes will not die alone and forgotten. And yet this is the destiny if all things go reasonably well, which I suspect they won't. I fear for the Church here and abroad, and I have a good idea of what we may be in for.

"Scared" is not the word. "Terrified out of my skull" does manage to approach it, however.[/quote]

I'm glad that this is a place where we can openly express our feelings :)

Edited by friendofJPII

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1440735' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:39 PM']I guess the reason why I posted this poll is because I'm relieved not that I'm not called to religous life. I enjoy living in the world (not of it, of course) and relating to people in everyday life. while I think it is beautiful, I have absolutely no desire to be a sister, actually the thought of being one scares the life out of me ....I feel as tho I would lose my identity. So I posted this poll to see if I am normal or a pagan....[/quote]

You want to please God and you never doubted yourself about it but, you are scared of leaving your present religious life because, you think it may displease Him. Thus, the problem is what you are thinking. Just be honest to yourself and it will be alright. It is immaterial if you go or not out of your vocation. The important thing is you are doing your best to be honest to yourself and does what you think will please Him.

Well, my fears were borne out of my distrust. I'm called to marriage, and God had reassured me a number of times about my vocation.

The difficulty was this: I had been engaged, and we had broken off the engagement (and stopped seeing each other completely). Afterwards, it was getting to be quite a long time since then and no success at all in dating. What really got under my skin was that I had known a number of priests who had been engaged, broke it off, and wound up in the priesthood.

So, despite several reassurances from God, I doubted with the aid of lots of confusing advice and lack of dating. For a long time, I felt trapped. I had refused a few things I dismissed as desperate...

Well, when I finally did the "desperate" thing, using an internet dating site, and being open to a long distance relationship, nothing happened. Initially. I still was not letting God be the Lord of it all. I had been rather restrictive on my "match" criteria and consequently didn't find anyone interesting. When I opened it up more (while remaining true to my beliefs), I ran into the completely wonderful girl I'm now dating.

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='Dismas' post='1440834' date='Dec 31 2007, 11:55 PM']In the bottom of my heart, I know I am called to be a friar priest.

"Scared" is not the word. "Terrified out of my skull" does manage to approach it, however.[/quote]

Whoah...thats cool.

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1440735' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:39 PM']I feel as tho I would lose my identity.[/quote]

I feel that this is the heart of your issue. You need to explore why you feel this way and why this is such a issue to you.