An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy

Moneybags

[url="http://www.rsmofalma.org/"]http://www.rsmofalma.org/[/url]

Does anyone know anything about them? Are they a traditional religious order? Do they pray in Latin at all?

Please let me know about any useful information concerning them.

the lords sheep

This is an incredibly beautiful community. I really encourage you to contact them if you are interested in them.
They live in community, wear a full habit and are faithful to the Magisterium. They pray the LOTH in English, although they may have some special prayers in latin. I am not sure about this, but if you call the Vocation Directress, who is a wonderful woman, would answer any questions that you have.
God bless you and good luck in your discernment!

There are two women from my diocese in this order. I've met several of the women, including the vocation directress. Their habits are beautiful, their mentality is wonderful, and they shine with a love and devotion to Him. They are able to have fun and joke with one another, when appropriate, but they also have their time of silence and contemplation.

My assistant Vocations Director absolutely loves them. They are an Orthodox, Faithful order, and they are attracting young women because of that.

I will pray for you. God bless and Mary protect! :D

Thank you for the information. I ask because I wanted to know if I should add them to Holy Vocation's Blog. I did add them to the sidebar. Thank you, all of you.

Merry Christmas since tomorrow is the Octave Day of Christmas and the Feast of the Circumcision of Jesus.

Thomist-in-Training

I went on a three-day retreat led by three of them. Maybe I'm scrupulous in this matter but I was surprised by how far back they wear their veils, and the fact that they have 3 different colors of habit (black for Sundays, navy for every day, candy-striped for summertime). It seems like if you're a religious, and you have to style your hair, something is wrong... But apart from this minor consideration they were very kind and seemed to give good advice. I'm not sure whether they pray in Latin. They weren't "kum-bay-ah" but neither did any Latin pop up that I remember, but it was only 3 days, so hard to tell.

Edited by Thomist-in-Training

the lords sheep

Any of the religious that have their hair showing under their veil have to "style" their hair. Many of the Sisters of Life, whose veils don't go quite so far back, still "style" in as much as they decide how to part their hair and have to pin it so that it will stay that way. I think for both orders it is to show their femininity, that they are consecrating themselves, specifically as women to Jesus. The habits are meant to be "pretty" to remind the world that both the woman and her sacrifice are beautiful, as is the spouse that she, in her beauty, is trying to resemble.
For me, I like the veil not so far back, but I try to keep in mind that the habit is so small in comparison to sacrificing my life to God. If I don't like the habit of the order, so what? It would just be one more daily sacrifice I could give to Jesus. Just a thought...

VeniteAdoremus

That's quite an excellent point. Personally, I prefer veils where you don't see any of the hair, and I even caught myself frowning at habits with veils that show lots of hair (sometimes to the point where one wonders how they manage to keep them on their heads at all!), but that's obviously a point where *I* have to change, even if they also might ;)

I love the veils of the Sisters of St. John, and my other favourites are those of the Carmelites DCJ - funny thing is that in that community you can see most of the older sisters wear it with a small amount of hair showing, but none of the younger sisters I know do :) Might be another aspect of the oft-mentioned trend towards the fuller habit among younger people.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1440911' date='Jan 1 2008, 09:24 AM']That's quite an excellent point. Personally, I prefer veils where you don't see any of the hair, and I even caught myself frowning at habits with veils that show lots of hair (sometimes to the point where one wonders how they manage to keep them on their heads at all!), but that's obviously a point where *I* have to change, even if they also might ;)

I love the veils of the Sisters of St. John, and my other favourites are those of the Carmelites DCJ - funny thing is that in that community you can see most of the older sisters wear it with a small amount of hair showing, but none of the younger sisters I know do :) Might be another aspect of the oft-mentioned trend towards the fuller habit among younger people.[/quote]

:shock: Do you know Sister Veronica, DCJ, from the USA? St. Louis Province? She's at the Motherhouse right now.

the lords sheep

I know Sr. Veronica! My cousin, who was in her profession class, is headed to the motherhouse in the Netherlands January 8 to join Sr. Veronica! I think it's Sr. Veronica that is going to be going to Iceland for a few months (if I am not mistaken).

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1440988' date='Jan 1 2008, 10:08 PM']:shock: Do you know Sister Veronica, DCJ, from the USA? St. Louis Province? She's at the Motherhouse right now.[/quote]

I don't, personally, but if you wish I can check out how she's doing :) I'm a bit busy with university right now, but certain postulants there (they're growing!) have been nagging me to come over, which isn't exactly bothersome ;)

I am absolutely humbled to read of their charism, their 4th vow, and how hard they try to live up to the vision of their foundress. The style of veil is so inconsequential when compared to everything else about these sisters.

the lords sheep

I agree StlMom! I love their fourth vow, and the ones I know live up to it very beautifully.

(We St. Louisans must think alike. ;) )

Thomist-in-Training

I just wanted to mention that I agree with the lord's sheep's comments & don't want to go on record as hostile to these sisters! Plus, now that I remember they helped me twice--the retreat, and one of their other sisters helped me to find some OTHER sisters that I was having a hard time getting in contact with! So kudos to them.

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1444076' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:40 PM']Are these the sisters that Bernard Law is currently serving as chaplin for or am I off my rocker?[/quote]

You're not off your rocker. You're close to the truth.

Bernard Law stayed with these sisters for a number of months after he left Boston.

He's now in Rome, where he was placed by JPII as archpriest of the Basilica of St. Mary Major.

He was honored by saying one of the masses on the third day of the nine-day solemn series of masses said after JPII's death.

Many American Catholics did not take this well.