An Old School Catholic Message Board

Baptists?

vbbabespx

CatholicAndFanatical

BG, not to hijack the thread but you seem pretty knowledgeable about the Church, may I ask why you are not Catholic?

Brother Adam! Glad to see you

SanctitasDeo

[quote]Isn't George W. Bush a Methodist? I thought there was something of a rivalry in the South... Eh, I guess I'd have to see the movie.[/quote]

I live in the South. There is definitely a rivalry down here, but at the same time, the 'real' Christians are perfectly willing to band together against the evil atheists, heretics, infidels, cults, and unbelievers.

I think that most Baptists have no problems with Methodists when it comes to Catholics, and no problems with Catholics when it comes to Mormons, less problem with Mormons when it comes to JWs. Thankfully, most people are fairly rational.

I tried to register at Baptistboard.com and they refused me!! Hmmm, maybe I should not have said that I was Roman Catholic.
I did read several posts on different subjects and all I can say is that if these people think they are Christians, they had better hope they are saved by faith alone. Very sad and disturbed people. I shall pray for them.

[quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' post='1441573' date='Jan 3 2008, 12:12 PM']BG, not to hijack the thread but you seem pretty knowledgeable about the Church, may I ask why you are not Catholic?[/quote]

I had a reply typed out here, but after I passed 1500 words, I decided to post it on my blog, and just link, so as not to completely hijack the thread...

[url="http://mindmirage.blogspot.com/2008/01/reply-to-phatmass-question.html"]http://mindmirage.blogspot.com/2008/01/rep...s-question.html[/url] Hope this answers your question.

Edit: Oh yes, I spent four hours on that... x.x

Edited by BG45

Brother Adam

As a former moderator at BB.com I would have pity for them, most of them have been brainwashed by fundamentalist propaganda. Most of the moderators and many of the outspoken anti-catholics in the other religions board have no excuse, but many of them are simply following the tag line of what they grew up with. They really believe that Catholicism is the spawn of satan and want Catholics to "get saved" because they just don't have a clue.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1441899' date='Jan 4 2008, 12:15 AM']As a former moderator at BB.com I would have pity for them, most of them have been brainwashed by fundamentalist propaganda. Most of the moderators and many of the outspoken anti-catholics in the other religions board have no excuse, but many of them are simply following the tag line of what they grew up with. They really believe that Catholicism is the spawn of satan and want Catholics to "get saved" because they just don't have a clue.[/quote]

While I love Brother Adam... I must warn you that you should be highly skeptical of Brother Adam on topics about Baptists. He has never had a clue about Baptists in a broad sense. He was a member of a very small fundamentalist group of Baptists (The General Association of Regular Baptists) and always drew heavily from his quite atypical perspectives. Brother Adam's opinions of Baptists are about as reliable as Jack Chick's opinion of Catholics.

If you would like to learn more about Baptists, please read academic books, learn about Roger Williams, read Evangelicals and Catholics together, writings of Richard Land, ChristianityToday.com, etc.

This is a great link: [url="http://www.ncronline.org/mainpage/specialdocuments/Interview_Harorld_Segura.pdf"]http://www.ncronline.org/mainpage/speciald...orld_Segura.pdf[/url]

The primary concerns of Baptists with Catholicism are regarding the lack of emphasis in Catholicism on conversion... The fact that the bulk of Catholics globally are "sacramentalized but not evangelized" as many Catholic leaders have put it..... historical issues related to the tendency of Catholicism in the past to denounce democracy\religious freedom and to to use instruments of state power to oppress minority Christians brothers and sisters.

These concerns are felt so deeply that it can be expressed in ugly ways at times as apparently some (such as former General Association of Regular Baptists members) can attest. However, many Baptists are not so ideological and have a strong emphasis on personalism and evangelism... That is why John Paul II had a surprising appeal for Baptists and Evangelicals worldwide who weren't as prone to fundamentalism... Much of what you hear from Brother Adam regarding Baptists is a gross oversimplication from a small data sample.

God bless.

Brother Adam

While I love HS_Dad... I must warn you that you should be highly skeptical of HS_Dad on responses about Brother Adam's Posts. He has never had a clue about Brother Adam's posts in a broad sense. He ignored the fact that Brother Adam said he was talking about the Baptistboard and not baptists in general and always draws heavily from his quite atypical perspectives. HS_dad's opinions of Brother Adam are about as reliable as Jack Chick's opinion of Catholics.

Much of what you hear from HS_Dad regarding Brother Adam is a gross oversimplication from a small data sample.

Edited by Brother Adam

thessalonian

I can affirm Brother Adam's comments about Baptistboard. It is quite anti-catholic. I was over there around the time BA was and I think we even went round the block once or twice about Catholic/protestant issues. But that was a long time ago.

CatholicAndFanatical

I second what Thess said. I too have been a part of that board some years ago..it is the devils pit.

I believe I can speak for 99% of the people here and say that Brother Adam knows what he is talking about and is held with very high regard here.

CatholicAndFanatical

[quote name='BG45' post='1441898' date='Jan 4 2008, 01:14 AM']I had a reply typed out here, but after I passed 1500 words, I decided to post it on my blog, and just link, so as not to completely hijack the thread...

[url="http://mindmirage.blogspot.com/2008/01/reply-to-phatmass-question.html"]http://mindmirage.blogspot.com/2008/01/rep...s-question.html[/url] Hope this answers your question.

Edit: Oh yes, I spent four hours on that... x.x[/quote]

** void Thread_HiJack() { **

Dude, your blog is right on!

Scott Hahn is amazing isn't he? I think im going to have my Fiance read him or listen to one of his conversion tapes I have. I feel bad, but I forgot all about Scott Hahn until just now.

As for fear..Mother Angelica said it best: Having fear is not the problem.
Doing nothing because you fear is the problem.

I come from a Pentecostal background, I know EXACTLY how you feel about being ridiculed for your belief. Hang in there.

**} //END THREAD HIJACK **

[quote name='BG45' post='1441898' date='Jan 4 2008, 12:14 AM']I had a reply typed out here, but after I passed 1500 words, I decided to post it on my blog, and just link, so as not to completely hijack the thread...

Edit: Oh yes, I spent four hours on that... x.x[/quote]

BG

I've got good news and bad news for you.

With your views from your blog, you are more Catholic than many many cradle Catholics.

I really enjoyed your blog entry.

Brother Adam

I'm not upset by HS_dad's response. If I WERE talking about Baptists in general, he would be absolutely right. My experience in the GARBC community was for the most part very positive and typically they have a moderate view of Catholics (many believe Catholics are unsaved because they have never accepted Jesus as their personal lord and savior). Most of their sermons are about scripture though, not about Catholics unlike some fundie groups. I also dated an ABC Baptist and have had many Southern Baptist friends. Many of them believed that if Catholics had a sincere conversion as Catholics and remained Catholic they would be saved. As my old friend Dr. Bob Griffin, a BB.com administrator says though "99.9% of all Catholics are going to hell". :)

I just wish that when I converted I could have brought my 20,000+ post count from BB with me here. :detective:

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1441960' date='Jan 4 2008, 10:22 AM']I've got good news and bad news for you.

With your views from your blog, you are more Catholic than many many cradle Catholics.[/quote]Yeah, but I'll bet BG doesn't know the secret handshake. :lol:

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1442005' date='Jan 4 2008, 02:00 PM']Yeah, but I'll bet BG doesn't know the secret handshake. :lol:[/quote]

Alas only the Mason ones. And some frats.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1441960' date='Jan 4 2008, 10:22 AM']BG

I've got good news and bad news for you.

With your views from your blog, you are more Catholic than many many cradle Catholics.

I really enjoyed your blog entry.[/quote]

Thanks, I think. I left out the quotations from Martin Luther on Mary though to save room, lol. Funny enough I think I'll put them here, because when I showed them to another Baptist, she was amazed at the glorification of God, to which I kinda thought, "Yes...that's kind of the point".

[quote name=''Martin Luther'']"She is full of grace, proclaimed to be entirely without sin. . . .God's grace fills her with everything good and makes her devoid of all evil. God is with her, meaning that all she did or left undone is divine and the action of God in her. Morever, God guarded and protected her from all that might be hurtful to her" Luther's Works, American Edition, volume 43, p40, ed. H. Lehmann

Commentary on the Mangificat by Luther says, "Men have crowded all her glory into a single phrase: The Mother of God, no one can say anything greater of her." and from some other work "She is rightly called not only the mother of the man, but also the Mother of God, it is certain that Mary is the Mother of the real and true God"[/quote]

[quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' post='1441958' date='Jan 4 2008, 10:05 AM']** void Thread_HiJack() { **

Dude, your blog is right on!

Scott Hahn is amazing isn't he? I think im going to have my Fiance read him or listen to one of his conversion tapes I have. I feel bad, but I forgot all about Scott Hahn until just now.

As for fear..Mother Angelica said it best: Having fear is not the problem.
Doing nothing because you fear is the problem.

I come from a Pentecostal background, I know EXACTLY how you feel about being ridiculed for your belief. Hang in there.

**} //END THREAD HIJACK **[/quote]

Yes Scott Hahn is quite amazing, both his books, and the EWTN show [u]Letter and Spirit[/u]. I really do need to pick up more of his works, right now all I have is the book he co-wrote with Kimberly, [u]Rome Sweet Home[/u].

While Mother Angelica's advice is good, I think I'll take another person's also, Jesus. Matthew 14:27

On the Pentecostal background, I hear ya. Not Pentecostal, but still, close enough. Grandma had a little pamphlet at her house that I thought I brought home with me once, but can't find it, about not marrying a Catholic. Cuz Catholics will steal your soul, steal your children's souls, etc.

[quote name='BG45' post='1442041' date='Jan 4 2008, 03:32 PM']On the Pentecostal background, I hear ya. Not Pentecostal, but still, close enough. Grandma had a little pamphlet at her house that I thought I brought home with me once, but can't find it, about not marrying a Catholic. Cuz Catholics will steal your soul, steal your children's souls, etc.[/quote]

Oh, carp...and here I thought I had a chance. :sadwalk:

And, well, dear...you are an enigma, even to me.

Rest assured the pham has your back...