An Old School Catholic Message Board

Playing Both Sides

Autumn Dusk

I have a friend who's kinda rough & toumble like myself. We're both seniours but she's a bit better off than me b/c she lives with her adult cousins(who have kids her age), who she calls mom and dad. I don't really blame her, they've been in her life forever. Both of us are financially independent according to our undergrad school.

Now, she pays her own bills while her cousins pay more of her cousins'. However, unlike most students granted independence she dosn't have to worry about rent (or food) most of the time. (technically she pays for it 8 mos a year b/c she lives in a dorm).

Anyway, we're both facing hefty graduate entrance school fees anywhere from $55 to $80. Her cousin (who she calls mom) is driving her as she doesn't have her own car. However she dosn't want her grad school to know so she can try to get a voucher becuase she's independent. However since her "mom" is driving her she wants to call her by her first name so people don't question her financial status.

She's not sure if she could ask her cousin to do this.

Because I'm also independent I told her that its really insulting to the whole situation to do that. She's getting many financial benefits of being independant (as am I) but she also has many of the benefits of being a dependant student, more than many. I told her that she's not paying rent so she should really just give it up. Either she has a family or she dosn't. And this is the time to decide.

Now she pretty hates me and thinks I'm an elietist.