An Old School Catholic Message Board

Books For A Budding Dominican

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='veritas99' post='1435370' date='Dec 17 2007, 06:16 PM']Some good books not necessarily about Dominican's but written by Dominicans are The Intellectual Life by A.D Sertillanges. This is one of my favorites. I've read several of his books and have enjoyed them emensely. The De Malo by Aquinas is good. I like Garrigou LaGrange he has some interesting stuff. I love Thomistic Theology and Philosophy.[/quote]
Have you read [b][url="http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Monster-Thomism-Introduction-Garrigou-Lagrange/dp/1587317524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197990768&sr=8-1"]The Sacred Monster of Thomism[/url][/b]? The author is one of my profs! :topsy:

[quote name='shortnun' post='1435618' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:15 AM']Have you read [b][url="http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Monster-Thomism-Introduction-Garrigou-Lagrange/dp/1587317524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197990768&sr=8-1"]The Sacred Monster of Thomism[/url][/b]? The author is one of my profs! :topsy:[/quote]

no it's on my list to read though. My roommate got me Christian Perfection and Contemplation by Fr.Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange,OP for my Birthday yesterday. I'm very excited to read it

To add on a bit to what Sister said about not jumping into Aquinas cold.

The following is from a Letter Saint Thomas wrote to I believe a novice. A young brother wrote in inquring about how one should study. One of professors Dr.John Boyle gave me this to read for fun along with a commentary and the orignal Latin text. He said that there are many who don't believe that this was written by Aquinas but Dr.Boyle said he doesn't find those arguments convincing. With that sais I think Aquinas provides some pretty good advice.

A Letter of Saint Thomas Aquinas to Brother John
"Because you have asked me, my brother John, most dear to me in Christ, how to set about aquiring the treasure of knowledge, this is the advice I pass on to you: that you should choose to enter by the small rivers, and not go right away into the sea, because you should move from easy things to difficult things.
Such is therefore my advice on your way of life: I suggest you be slow to speak, and slow to go to the room where people chat. Embrace purity of conscience; do not stop making time for prayer.
Love to be in your room frequently, if you wish to be lead to the wine celler Show yourself to be likable to all, or at least try; but do not show yourself as too familiar with anyone; because too much familiarity breeds contempt and will slow you in your studies; and don't get involved in any way in the deeds and words of worldly people.
Above all, avoid idle conversation; do not forget to follow the steps of holy and approved men. Never mind who says what, but commit to memory what is said that is true: work to understand what you read, and make yourself sure of doubtful points. put whatever you can into the cupboard of your mind as if you were trying to fill a cup. "Seek not the things that a higher than you"
Follow the steps of blessed Dominic, who produced useful and marvelous shoots, flowers and fruits in the vineyard of the Lord of Hosts for as long as life was his companion.
If you follow these things, you will attain to whatever you desire. Farewell. "

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1435520' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:59 AM']How can you be underwhelmed by the Confessions??? You must have read a really awful translation! Augustine's rhetoric is so amazing. "If material objects please you, they are being loved in God. Then return love to their maker lest, being pleased in them, you displease Him. If souls please you, take what you can and bring them with you to Him, saying Him we love; he made us and is not far distant. Rather, He is very close to the heart, and the things derived from Him have their being in Him. Otherwise they would go their way and perish. For the things that come from Him are unjustly loved when He has been abandoned." I think my favorite part though is "What is it that I love when I love my God?", that section...[/quote]

I think I just have a really bad translation. I think it's a Signet classics version. Suggestions on a better one?
Oh there were parts I loved-- "Late have I loved thee," etc., but some of it....I'm really hoping it was just the translation!

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='veritas99' post='1435726' date='Dec 18 2007, 02:49 PM']I suggest you be slow to speak, and slow to go to the room where people chat.[/quote]

So I guess St. Thomas wouldn't be a phatmass member???
Ha ha.
:lol:

Thomist-in-Training

The Oxford University Press one is pretty good. It cites all the Scripture quotes he uses, which occasionally interrupts the flow but gives you an idea of how much Scripture he knew, and the translation is good, I think, though it's the only one I've read. The translator's name is Henry Chadwick.

If you study Latin at all, you should look up the parts you like the best. Augustine's Latin is not hard to read, and really beautiful.

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1436212' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:00 PM']The Oxford University Press one is pretty good. It cites all the Scripture quotes he uses, which occasionally interrupts the flow but gives you an idea of how much Scripture he knew, and the translation is good, I think, though it's the only one I've read. The translator's name is Henry Chadwick.

If you study Latin at all, you should look up the parts you like the best. Augustine's Latin is not hard to read, and really beautiful.[/quote]

Excellent suggestion. I had been holding out for the OUP but I could never find it. Now, after I've bought another (obviously inferior) copy, I see it everywhere. :)