An Old School Catholic Message Board

Books For A Budding Dominican

elizabeth_jane

elizabeth_jane

I am a book nut, so I am interested in getting my hands on any and all books about Dominicans--the saints, the founders, the Way of Life, etc....basically ANYTHING. :) :)

Have you read Amata means beloved by our Sr. M. Catharine? Also on the Summit Dominican website store there are several books on things Dominican

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1435060' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:54 PM']I am a book nut, so I am interested in getting my hands on any and all books about Dominicans--the saints, the founders, the Way of Life, etc....basically ANYTHING. :) :)[/quote]

What a question!
St. Dominic by Bede Jarrett is the classic. Available from TAN Publishers
The New Wine of Dominican Spirituality: a Drink Called Happiness, Fr. Paul Murray (2006)
The Dominicans: a short history, Fr. Hinnebush
To Heaven with Diana (available from our website: www.nunsopsummit.org
Early Dominicans, Paulist Press
The Dominican Tradition (Spirituality in History) (2006)

I could go on and on but the best thing to do would be go to Amazon or better yet go to www.3op.org. They have a book list which is comprehensive. A lot of good books are out of print but available.
DO NOT bother with Eric Borman's Dominican Spirituality. It's rewriting what the Order is all about.

A great book is THE CONTEMPLATIVE LIFE by Fr. Thomas Philippe, OP. It's retreat conferences to a Dominican monastery. Unfortunately, it's hard to get. It was published in the early 90's.

You can get some things online: [url="http://domcentral.org/trad/"]http://domcentral.org/trad/[/url]
Jordan of Saxony: On the Beginnings of the Order of Preachers
Mandonnet's History of the Dominican Order. etc.

Have fun!

SMC

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1435075' date='Dec 16 2007, 10:27 PM']What a question!
St. Dominic by Bede Jarrett is the classic. Available from TAN Publishers
The New Wine of Dominican Spirituality: a Drink Called Happiness, Fr. Paul Murray (2006)
The Dominicans: a short history, Fr. Hinnebush
To Heaven with Diana (available from our website: www.nunsopsummit.org
Early Dominicans, Paulist Press
The Dominican Tradition (Spirituality in History) (2006)

I could go on and on but the best thing to do would be go to Amazon or better yet go to www.3op.org. They have a book list which is comprehensive. A lot of good books are out of print but available.
DO NOT bother with Eric Borman's Dominican Spirituality. It's rewriting what the Order is all about.

A great book is THE CONTEMPLATIVE LIFE by Fr. Thomas Philippe, OP. It's retreat conferences to a Dominican monastery. Unfortunately, it's hard to get. It was published in the early 90's.

You can get some things online: [url="http://domcentral.org/trad/"]http://domcentral.org/trad/[/url]
Jordan of Saxony: On the Beginnings of the Order of Preachers
Mandonnet's History of the Dominican Order. etc.

Have fun!

SMC[/quote]

Great!!! Thanks!
Also thanks for telling me what NOT to read--that is, in some cases, even better!! :)

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1435079' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:39 PM']Great!!! Thanks!
Also thanks for telling me what NOT to read--that is, in some cases, even better!! :)[/quote]

Agreed...I made the mistake of buying Borgman's "Dominican Spirituality"...[i]yikes[/i]. However a good, solid, book by the same name was written by Fr. Hinnebusch and can be read [url="http://www.domcentral.org/trad/domspirit/default.htm"]here[/url]

Likewise thanks to Sister for more trustworthy titles. :D

Thomist-in-Training

Also Sr. Mary Jean Dorcy's "Saint Dominic's Family" has one-page portraits in chronological order of seemingly all the notable Dominicans who ever were. She also has a book called "Shepherd's Tartan" with amusing vignettes of the life of a Dominican active sister. Chesterton's Life of St. Thomas Aquinas (subtitled "The Dumb Ox") is a good one too.

PrayerSupporter

"A great book is THE CONTEMPLATIVE LIFE by Fr. Thomas Philippe, OP. It's retreat conferences to a Dominican monastery. Unfortunately, it's hard to get. It was published in the early 90's"

Just a FYI...AbeBooks.com lists a copy or two available for $20, with other copies at $30+.

Is the book The Dominican Nuns in Their Cloister a good one?

praying4carmel

Sinsinawa Dominicans have a GREAT Bookshop!

[url="http://www.sinsinawa.org/Bookshop/index.html"]http://www.sinsinawa.org/Bookshop/index.html[/url]

P4C

Also I LOVED "Amata Means Beloved" By Our Sr. Mary Catherine It's a wonderful book! I second alicemary's vote.

Edited by praying4carmel

praying4carmel

try this one too..

Search for Living Waters.

[url="http://www.domlife.org/Books/Search_LivingWaters_nuns.html"]http://www.domlife.org/Books/Search_LivingWaters_nuns.html[/url]

AlterDominicus

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1435060' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:54 PM']I am a book nut, so I am interested in getting my hands on any and all books about Dominicans--the saints, the founders, the Way of Life, etc....basically ANYTHING. :) :)[/quote]

Amata Means Beloved by Sister Mary Catharine!

*Hides* :blowkiss: :P :love: You know I love you Sister Mary Catharine. :whistle:

Some good books not necessarily about Dominican's but written by Dominicans are The Intellectual Life by A.D Sertillanges. This is one of my favorites. I've read several of his books and have enjoyed them emensely. The De Malo by Aquinas is good. I like Garrigou LaGrange he has some interesting stuff. I love Thomistic Theology and Philosophy.

elizabeth_jane

I feel like I should be reading Thomas Aquinas and Augustine--thoughts? I read Augustine's Confessions and was a bit underwhelmed...

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1435381' date='Dec 17 2007, 05:37 PM']I feel like I should be reading Thomas Aquinas and Augustine--thoughts? I read Augustine's Confessions and was a bit underwhelmed...[/quote]

If you were underwhelmed by the "Confessions", go for Aquinas. He's almost [i]over[/i]whelming and definitely not something to read when you're tired. On a side note, when I start to think I know a thing or two, I go to St. Thomas...he keeps me humble.

Edited by De_Profundis

Thomist-in-Training

How can you be underwhelmed by the Confessions??? You must have read a really awful translation! Augustine's rhetoric is so amazing. "If material objects please you, they are being loved in God. Then return love to their maker lest, being pleased in them, you displease Him. If souls please you, take what you can and bring them with you to Him, saying Him we love; he made us and is not far distant. Rather, He is very close to the heart, and the things derived from Him have their being in Him. Otherwise they would go their way and perish. For the things that come from Him are unjustly loved when He has been abandoned." I think my favorite part though is "What is it that I love when I love my God?", that section...

On reading... Someone here, I don't remember who, had a link to her blog with several suggestions for discerners I found really humbling because they were all pretty relevant to me: mostly, "you ain't a Dominican till you're a Dominican," basically! and to focus more on your spiritual life and not on being a super good whatever-it-is long before you enter (again I say, this is something I have been guilty of!) St. Thomas is amazing, but I wouldn't start reading him right now unless you have a lot of free time, or wish generally to instruct yourself in theology. The Summa is for everyone, not just Dominicans anyhow.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1435520' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:59 AM']How can you be underwhelmed by the Confessions??? You must have read a really awful translation! Augustine's rhetoric is so amazing. "If material objects please you, they are being loved in God. Then return love to their maker lest, being pleased in them, you displease Him. If souls please you, take what you can and bring them with you to Him, saying Him we love; he made us and is not far distant. Rather, He is very close to the heart, and the things derived from Him have their being in Him. Otherwise they would go their way and perish. For the things that come from Him are unjustly loved when He has been abandoned." I think my favorite part though is "What is it that I love when I love my God?", that section...

On reading... Someone here, I don't remember who, had a link to her blog with several suggestions for discerners I found really humbling because they were all pretty relevant to me: mostly, "you ain't a Dominican till you're a Dominican," basically! and to focus more on your spiritual life and not on being a super good whatever-it-is long before you enter (again I say, this is something I have been guilty of!) St. Thomas is amazing, but I wouldn't start reading him right now unless you have a lot of free time, or wish generally to instruct yourself in theology. The Summa is for everyone, not just Dominicans anyhow.[/quote]

This is very good advice. I think that we can be influenced by the world even in vocation discernement without realizing it. Preparing to enter a particular religious order isn't about knowing absolutely all the facts you can learn before you enter! To become a Dominican it takes TIME, and prayer and grace to be molded into a particular way of following Christ.

It's still good to read up on Dominican history and saints but more to NOURISH you not just to fill your head with facts.

I'm perplexed myself as to how you could be underwhelmed by the Confessions.

As for St. Thomas, you really shouldn't just go into it cold. One must have a certain preparation in philosophy first or else you won't get anything out of it. Peter Kreeft's THE SUMMA OF THE SUMMA may help.