An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Scandal Of The Monastic Life

frateumile

It’s sad to ascertain as all in the monastic life currently is adapted to modernity, to the consumerism, Capitalism: dresses, buildings, furniture, new technologies, continuous mitigations to the ancient rules. The monastic life has fear to testify the scandal of the poverty, of the austerity of the continuous penance and the prayer. The monastic life would have to propose an ancient model of life returning to its tradition a model that respects the nature and the animals and that it is only made of the essential thing or of the deprivation of the essential thing for sacrifice spirit, of expiation and penance. The scandal that saint Francis has represented for his age not is never more reproduced. We are therefore pusillanimous person that we do not know more to scandalize our brothers and our sisters with our hidden life of separation from the world, prayer and renunciation to the comforts and flatteries of the world more and more to the drift and corrupt.

Frate Umile

I am not sure I agree with you. There are many monasteries here in north america that combine the old traditions wiht the new technologies, buildings, and etc. The Rule of St. Benedict does allow for artisans to ply their trade as long as they don't get puffed up or greedy.

Not all monastic life is based on complete material poverty and rejection of technology. Incorporating new technology into evangelism and other work is an important part of some orders, even monastic ones.

I think you may want to be careful that you do not romanticize the monastic tradition.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Blessed Imelda Pray for Us' post='1434884' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:49 PM']I think you may want to be careful that you do not romanticize the monastic tradition.[/quote]

I agree. I have a friend who wanted to enter a contemplative community, and who was deeply drawn to the most traditional Poor Clare monastery that she could find. She urged me to consider this particular monastery over the two Carmels that I was looking at, as the nuns wore wimples and rose to pray at 1.00am. These were her chief reasons for recommending the place to me. I was disturbed. She found it very tough going in that convent - for her 'the traditional monastic life' was all about flowing habits and enraptured silence, and she got disillusioned very quickly when she found that the reality didn't match her expectations.

Marcia Berstein's book [i]Nuns[/i] mentions an idealistic young woman who entered a Welsh Carmel in the 1940s and was distraught to find the nuns sitting down to a hearty supper when she arrived. She had expected to live off nothing but the Communion host. I think we can be guilty of the same kind of romanticism when thinking about the religious life, even if we don't take it to that extreme. Nuns and monks are human beings. They don't live on another planet altogether. "We are very ordinary women and ours is a very ordinary life," cautions the website of Quidenham Carmel. That in itself can be a cross for postulants, who want something extra special.

I do not find nothing of romantic in the example of penances and deprivations that many saint monks and many saint nuns have left like warning to us of our weakness . All the great reformers of the religious orders at first have restored more hard and strict their rule. I think that the rules of our religious orders today are very laxist and corrupts. The young people are not more attracted from the religious life because a normal daily life is much harder living, than living in a convent that guarantees comfort and well-being that a worker today does not have. If the religious life represented an authentic sacrifice, an authentic imitation of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ the vocations would be multiplied. Instead who embraces the religious life has assured food, comfortable beds, warm garments, heaters, air conditioners, car, televisions, moneies, etc. Hypocritical it’s to say that they belong to the order and not to the single ones, when the single ones of it gain all the advantages. Sure I know well that the radicalism scares the modest and lukewarm minds, those that today would be scared if there were a Christ still crucified or do not perceive of the many crucified siblings in the pain, disease and misery . By now the world has corrupt to us and to return to think free from its conditionings and from our daily habits it is much difficult. It is called: metanoia.

Frate Umile

[quote name='frateumile' post='1434902' date='Dec 16 2007, 02:05 PM']I do not find nothing of romantic in the example of penances and deprivations that many saint monks and many saint nuns have left like warning to us of our weakness . All the great reformers of the religious orders at first have restored more hard and strict their rule. I think that the rules of our religious orders today are very laxist and corrupts. The young people are not more attracted from the religious life because a normal daily life is much harder living, than living in a convent that guarantees comfort and well-being that a worker today does not have. If the religious life represented an authentic sacrifice, an authentic imitation of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ the vocations would be multiplied. Instead who embraces the religious life has assured food, comfortable beds, warm garments, heaters, air conditioners, car, televisions, moneies, etc. Hypocritical it’s to say that they belong to the order and not to the single ones, when the single ones of it gain all the advantages. Sure I know well that the radicalism scares the modest and lukewarm minds, those that today would be scared if there were a Christ still crucified or do not perceive of the many crucified siblings in the pain, disease and misery . By now the world has corrupt to us and to return to think free from its conditionings and from our daily habits it is much difficult. It is called: metanoia.

Frate Umile[/quote]

Some of those things have been part of the monastic life for generations. And I have no doubts that some have joined monastic life for exactly those assurances. The monastery I plan on joining has heating, but no air conditioning. And no electricity in the guest house. There's a whole one television, and its only on for Movie Night once a month or so. There are a couple cars as well, but then again its 30 miles from the nearest town. Should they walk there and back for groceries? There is nothing hypocritical in saying that it belongs to the monastery or the order. That is simple truth. I see no reason to condemn modern monastics for being lukewarm or modemst because they are not the early Desert Fathers and do not live that life.

Hosea 6:6 reads, "For it is mercy I desire, not sacrifice, and knowledge of God rather than holocausts".
I would be careful to not put external vicarious self -imposed hardships and penances ahead of conversion of heart.
Simplicity of lifestyle is good for all of us who wish to be close to God, and certainly religious life should set an example of contentment with what God provides in common life. Liviing in community can be penance enough, you don't have to pile on much else, unless your object is to make people take notice of your sacrifice, which is a bit prideful, eh? I think Jesus had a bit more to say about those who make their sacrifices obvious to onlookers.
Some religious do live better than the rest of us. God will take note of that too. It doesn't bother me.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='stlmom' post='1434926' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:22 PM']Hosea 6:6 reads, "For it is mercy I desire, not sacrifice, and knowledge of God rather than holocausts".
I would be careful to not put external vicarious self -imposed hardships and penances ahead of conversion of heart.[/quote]

Yes! Saint Therese was treated with scepticism by some members of her community (could Sister Therese of the Child Jesus [i]really[/i] be as holy as some people made out?) because she refused to take part in the more austere penances favoured by the nuns at that Carmel. She would not hit herself, for example, even though self-flagellation was a widely accepted custom of the time. Yet could anybody call St Therese lukewarm or modernist in her thinking? She loved Jesus with everything she had, and she knew that He loved her. Secure in this knowledge, she saw no reason to put on a show of being holy according to the other nuns' expectations of her. So she didn't participate in all their penances.

[quote name='frateumile' post='1434973' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:34 PM']You do not want to understand blind people as you are. That God has mercy of you!

Frate Umile[/quote]

I may be blind, but the Holy Spirit is a good guide-dog. :) Be careful with how you dismiss people, Frate Umile. Jesus' reference to logs and specks comes to mind here.

""If the religious life represented an authentic sacrifice, an authentic imitation of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ the vocations would be multiplied.""

Penance (as you are thinking of it), fasting, and austere life are not the only ''authentic sacrifices''. Often people can become fond of certain penances through pride rather than pure motivation. Charity and moderation can be more of a sacrifice for people who desire such austere practices. For someone who desired to live in a permenant state of abstinence, it would be a greater sacrifice, and surely more pleasing to the Lord, to joyfully and thankfully accept a gift of meat every day than to abstain from meat.

Often in my own life I have to make sure that my motivation for devotions is because it is how I feel God is asking me to serve Him or praise Him and not my own prideful idea of how I want to serve or praise Him.

[quote name='frateumile' post='1434902' date='Dec 16 2007, 02:05 PM']I do not find nothing of romantic in the example of penances and deprivations that many saint monks and many saint nuns have left like warning to us of our weakness . All the great reformers of the religious orders at first have restored more hard and strict their rule. I think that the rules of our religious orders today are very laxist and corrupts. The young people are not more attracted from the religious life because a normal daily life is much harder living, than living in a convent that guarantees comfort and well-being that a worker today does not have. If the religious life represented an authentic sacrifice, an authentic imitation of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ the vocations would be multiplied. Instead who embraces the religious life has assured food, comfortable beds, warm garments, heaters, air conditioners, car, televisions, moneies, etc. Hypocritical it’s to say that they belong to the order and not to the single ones, when the single ones of it gain all the advantages. Sure I know well that the radicalism scares the modest and lukewarm minds, those that today would be scared if there were a Christ still crucified or do not perceive of the many crucified siblings in the pain, disease and misery . By now the world has corrupt to us and to return to think free from its conditionings and from our daily habits it is much difficult. It is called: metanoia.

Frate Umile[/quote]

Let me tell you a story I heard some years ago from a person in religious life. There was a young man set to join the Carthusians. Someone mentioned how exciting and wonderful that must be for him. The young man became indignant. Oh no, he said, this is about penance, fasting, and mortification!

He lasted about three weeks

You can do all the disciplines in the world and have it mean nothing. Yet if you give God one moment of giving and give with total joy, then you have given everything. That young man had to learn this lesson. It's a life lesson I think we all have to learn.

I think that we must disitinguish between vocation and one vocation to the monastic life. One case is the vocation for the active religious life, other case is the vocation for the monastic and contemplative life to which God calls only some elect spirits, those spirits that are fascinated from the madness of the cross.

Frate Umile

Come sono il nipote di immigranti siciliani, risponderò nell'italiano (a frate umile).

È vero che Gesu ci dice nel vangelo di Luca (13:3) ciò a meno che infliggiamo una penitenza, periremo.

Le tradizioni lunghe di astinenza perpetua, i digiuni, portando la disciplina, ecc. sono tutta la dogana onorata di ordini come i carmelitani scalzi e capuccini. Soltanto alloggia sfortunatamente come quelli con le liturgie e vita tradizionali (Clark, Wyoming per i monaci e Valparaiso, Nebraska, USA per le suore) e Morgon, Francia trattiene tuttavia questi. Nessuno i dubbi questi sono importanti, o buoni, o utili.

Comunque, che dice tutti gli ordini, le congregazioni, le comunità o le case sono chiamate a questi?

Ricordare che il nostro Signore non vuole sempre la mortificazione esteriore (pesante), ma la mortificazione spesso interna. San. Giovanni della Croce, dottore della chiesa, sembra dare l'orgoglio di luogo agli atti interni, e descrive questo nella sua dottrina celeste.

Lasciare quelli che sono chiamato a un realmente rude, la risposta di vita di penitential alla vocazione e praticare questo. Quelli che non sono, fa non. Potere noi tutti impariamo a amare il Signore nella propria maniera, secondo il nostro carisma della regola o secondo le pratiche approvati dal nostro direttore spirituale.

Ora et Labora

I don't know if it's just me or not, but, I have heard that the young people are entering more Traditional, solid convents and monasteries, instead of the questionable orders that are actually dying today!