An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas Presents From The Summit Shoppe!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1438976' date='Dec 27 2007, 10:37 PM']PS I'm all for OSB's. They're almost as nice as OP's! :-)[/quote]

[color="#48D1CC"][size=3][b][font="Century Gothic"]Hey, what about the OSF's? :P lol...[/font][/b][/size][/color]

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1438976' date='Dec 28 2007, 05:37 AM']You give the St. Dominic medal to Venite Adoremus and you use the "dangerous" soap (cloister garden) when you go to adoration! Don't you want to smell beautiful for the Lord?
Is the funny colored soap the SAVONarola?
As someone who doesn't have a sense of smell (and "CEO" of the soap dept) I have NO IDEA what the soap smell like but people like it!
Today we were experimenting with a new soap that has honey, milk and olive oil in it. But we put too much olive oil in and you have to wash your hands WITH SOAP after you handle it! <_< Onto a new experiement!
Like the Colwich blog but would like it even more with photos!

Pax!
SMC

PS I'm all for OSB's. They're almost as nice as OP's! :-)[/quote]

Well, what's VA going to do with two? ;)

Nice idea about adoration though - a very nice idea. Never really considered whether Our Lord was fussed about [i]how[/i] I smelt (although I assume He'd much rather I was on the nicer side of neutral - i.e. that deodorant was necessary) but I like your logic. Now I'll just have to make sure I'm out of Dangerous Sniffing Distance (I propose that each person's DSD is individual, which should make for..hang on[footnote1]) of anyone else - shouldn't be a problem for Our Lord as I assume His Sniffing Abilities are not hindered by the monstrance's physical limitations.

I've been keeping watch on the Colwich blog too - I'm so happy for Adele. Being there when she entered and knowing that in a short while she'll be clothed is fantastic. Perhaps it would be better with more pictures, but just as at Summit, the professed are more than adept at escaping the camera (although I have a couple of funny sweet ones of Mother Abbess), and I think Adele and Sr. Mary Magdalen are kept pretty busy. However...that's easy for me to say, as I've been there and I can "see" everything as described - which of course others might not be able to. And hey, who doesn't love pictures?

It's a real joy to see that people are getting in contact with Colwich via the blog though. Hurrah for Mother Prioress saying yes to the idea!!

Ok, back on topic. Soaps.

Edited by puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Arrgh, I should really learn how to finish my posts:

No, the funny coloured one is the Natale.

And now that we've established concepts like DSD, we could do some interesting research: given a church of x area, with adorers x_1, x_2, ..., x_n with DSDs d_1, d_2, ..., d_n respectively, find a suitable placement pattern so that each may wash with the Cloister Garden soap before going to adoration without distracting anyone (we'll disregard the problems of getting in and out of the church for the moment). Is there more than one placement pattern? For what value of n is the problem no longer solvable?

Ok. Wayyyy too off-topic now. Soap!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

["and I think Adele and Sr. Mary Magdalen are kept pretty busy. "

And you think I'm not! :-) I squeeze in the entries here and there but mostly at night.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1438963' date='Dec 27 2007, 06:22 PM']The question of what I'm to do with a St. Dominic medal, when the solid evidence of my [i]Benectine[/i] oblation has first rights around my neck, is a further quandry. Ah well - I shall momentarily put these dilemmas to one side whilst I concentrate on writing my thesis and reading various works of St. Hildegard. Or I could completely de-lurk and dig up some old Benedictine threads as VS has once again become rather dominated by Dominican, Franciscan/Poor Clare and Carmelite factions ;)[/quote]
I don't see why you couldn't wear a St. Dominic medal. I don't think St. Benedict or St. Dominic would object. You could put it on your rosary if you don't want another on your neck.
We're all one family.
(from a franciscan sister named after a dominican tertiary and a carmelite nun. :) )

VeniteAdoremus

Well, since it's obviously not safe to write about my family here anymore, I'll not mention that I'm currently working on another present for PP, which she'll only receive if she takes me to the Extraordinary Form (it's celebrated in Amsterdam and I'm too chicken to go there all by myself) :)

All the Natale soaps have been distributed to various females of my family, and they all LOVED them (including some that are rather picky about hygienic products). One of my aunts cut the cake in three pieces, which looked really cute (for those who don't know: the soap looks like the flag of Hungary, and she cut it so that every piece had a cube of red, white and green). She put each of them in a guest bathroom for the Christmas guests to use. And since a good two thirds of my mum's 10 siblings were there, with partners and a selection of the two generations of offspring, at the end of St. Stephen's day some 35 Dutchies were smelling of Natale. I bet Sr. MC hadn't dreamed of that :)

I think the colwich blog is great, and adele seems like a very nice gal. I am glad she is on her way to the noviciate. The abbey I am flying out to join in 88 days and 14 hours also makes soap to sell. maybe I'l learn how to make some and then i'll see if i can smuggle some to a certain adorable English lass i know in the netherlands :)

elizabeth_jane

My Natale bar is almost gone--good thing I got three! But if it lasts through the Christmas season (the current one) I'll be on to the Cloister Garden. :) :)
My bathroom smells so good after I use these. They are my new favorite things. :) :)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1439789' date='Dec 30 2007, 01:48 AM']My Natale bar is almost gone--good thing I got three! But if it lasts through the Christmas season (the current one) I'll be on to the Cloister Garden. :) :)
My bathroom smells so good after I use these. They are my new favorite things. :) :)[/quote]

Yup, that's the only bad thing, they actually run out after a while (especially if one stays in the bathroom ten minutes longer because they smell so nice ;) ). But that also means, of course, that you get to buy new ones and "support vocations" as Sr. Mary Catharine so nicely puts it :D

elizabeth_jane

I would also like to note that Savonarola is a character in The Agony and teh Ecstasy, which I got for Christmas and am currently reading.
When I saw that, I LOL. :lol_roll: Immediate thoughts of this thread and soaps came into my head....

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1440239' date='Dec 31 2007, 05:11 AM']I would also like to note that Savonarola is a character in The Agony and teh Ecstasy, which I got for Christmas and am currently reading.
When I saw that, I LOL. :lol_roll: Immediate thoughts of this thread and soaps came into my head....[/quote]

That's the spirit :)

You know, once we've taken over the world so that everybody thinks of soap all the time, the nuns can just start printing Cathechism verses on the wrappers and we'll be done :D

VeniteAdoremus

Oh, and to horribly hijack the wonderful quote of St. Francis:

"Preach always. If necessary, use soap."

And now I'm going to bed since I've obviously had waaaaaay too much New Year's Eve "special kind of bakery product that's totally unknown outside of the Netherlands and therefore has no translation into English other than "oil balls" which you'd have to admit doesn't sound very appealing at all yet they are."