An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas Presents From The Summit Shoppe!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1428206' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:53 PM']Okay... I've been mulling over this joke for a bit now, and i'm thinking that it has to do with the "Crackling firewood"... and St. Thomas Aquinas? :)

Am i right?[/quote]
I was just thinking that we should probably explain the joke now that we've been talking about it....

Girolamo Savonarola was an Italian Dominican priest from the 15th century. He was an apocalyptic preacher. He was eventually (though some argue wrongfully) condemned as a heretic, excommunicated, and executed. He and two other friars were burned in the public square in Florence. Thus a soap smelling of burning firewood would be particularly appropriate for Savonarola.

AlterDominicus

I remember reading that on my long retreat, we were assigned to read some saints, Dominican Saints and on Saint Dominic.

:biglol: :lol: :lol_above: :lol_sign: :D :lol_pound:

:kiss: :lust: I love you nuns...did I ever tell you that?

elizabeth_jane

I just bought:
--the Cloister Garden trio
--The Natale trio
--and, for my dad, the Oatmeal soaps. He likes that stuff. :) :)

Mmmm I love fun bath products--can't wait for them to get here!

elizabeth_jane

I got my soaps today! I went right into the bath to use the Natale soap--it is wonderful! My skin is so soft and the bathroom smells great!!! I might have to put one of extras (I ordered 3) in with the oatmeal ones I got my parents.
This may be the only stuff I ever use--seriously. :)

[quote name='shortnun' post='1428217' date='Dec 2 2007, 04:16 PM']I was just thinking that we should probably explain the joke now that we've been talking about it....

Girolamo Savonarola was an Italian Dominican priest from the 15th century. He was an apocalyptic preacher. He was eventually (though some argue wrongfully) condemned as a heretic, excommunicated, and executed. He and two other friars were burned in the public square in Florence. Thus a soap smelling of burning firewood would be particularly appropriate for Savonarola.[/quote]

lol....i remember learning about him in my class on Michelangelo. very funny :clap:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='elizabeth_jane' post='1432612' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:48 AM']I got my soaps today! I went right into the bath to use the Natale soap--it is wonderful! My skin is so soft and the bathroom smells great!!! I might have to put one of extras (I ordered 3) in with the oatmeal ones I got my parents.
This may be the only stuff I ever use--seriously. :)[/quote]

I soooooo know exactly what you mean :)

Thomist-in-Training

Two years ago I bought my brother a book called "The End of an Age," an idea which he is always talking about.
He never read it.

Last year I made him a scarf, which he may have worn sometime, but you don't really need that many scarves.

So when I saw the blog entry about soap and Christmas presents, I thought "Ah-ha! He HAS to use SOAP!" :))

I was very pleased with my cleverness. My mother has pointed out to me that he might not like the [i]scents[/i], but I remain nothing daunted. I will post the results later. :)

Thomist-in-Training

Just the "Gent's Scents" trio--Savonarola, Bay Rum & Sandalwood. I would have gotten the gift crate w/4 but I'm poor.

• 2 weeks later...
puellapaschalis

Just before I left for the Christmas break (which I'm enduring now :P) my sister (hope she doesn't - oh wait, that's not going to work) gave me some rather wonderful Christmas presents at the airport.

Of course in the interests of international air safety I had to open them immediately. I discovered a St. Dominic medal (is she trying to tell me something, do you think?) and two soaps. One rather interestingly coloured, the second, she warned me in a rather non-specific way, was [i]dangerous[/i]. To be used with caution, lest I unnecessarily tempt anyone.

Now I am a very obedient older sister and have restricted myself to the funny-coloured one (don't take it personally - I'm sure there's something in my DNA which specifies that something needs to be blue before I have anything approaching a decent opinion of it ;)). Which, it has to be said, is rather wonderful, even on my face.

The question of when I should use the Dangerous Soap is quite open. The question of what I'm to do with a St. Dominic medal, when the solid evidence of my [i]Benectine[/i] oblation has first rights around my neck, is a further quandry. Ah well - I shall momentarily put these dilemmas to one side whilst I concentrate on writing my thesis and reading various works of St. Hildegard. Or I could completely de-lurk and dig up some old Benedictine threads as VS has once again become rather dominated by Dominican, Franciscan/Poor Clare and Carmelite factions ;)

/me knuffelt VA heel erg stevig en hoop dat ze dr snel weer ziet, misschien wel in de Agnes, met mantilla ;) Hartelijk bedankt en een Zalig Kerst!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1438963' date='Dec 27 2007, 07:22 PM']Just before I left for the Christmas break (which I'm enduring now :P) my sister (hope she doesn't - oh wait, that's not going to work) gave me some rather wonderful Christmas presents at the airport.

Of course in the interests of international air safety I had to open them immediately. I discovered a St. Dominic medal (is she trying to tell me something, do you think?) and two soaps. One rather interestingly coloured, the second, she warned me in a rather non-specific way, was [i]dangerous[/i]. To be used with caution, lest I unnecessarily tempt anyone.

Now I am a very obedient older sister and have restricted myself to the funny-coloured one (don't take it personally - I'm sure there's something in my DNA which specifies that something needs to be blue before I have anything approaching a decent opinion of it ;)). Which, it has to be said, is rather wonderful, even on my face.

The question of when I should use the Dangerous Soap is quite open. The question of what I'm to do with a St. Dominic medal, when the solid evidence of my [i]Benectine[/i] oblation has first rights around my neck, is a further quandry. Ah well - I shall momentarily put these dilemmas to one side whilst I concentrate on writing my thesis and reading various works of St. Hildegard. Or I could completely de-lurk and dig up some old Benedictine threads as VS has once again become rather dominated by Dominican, Franciscan/Poor Clare and Carmelite factions ;)

/me knuffelt VA heel erg stevig en hoop dat ze dr snel weer ziet, misschien wel in de Agnes, met mantilla ;) Hartelijk bedankt en een Zalig Kerst![/quote]

You give the St. Dominic medal to Venite Adoremus and you use the "dangerous" soap (cloister garden) when you go to adoration! Don't you want to smell beautiful for the Lord?
Is the funny colored soap the SAVONarola?
As someone who doesn't have a sense of smell (and "CEO" of the soap dept) I have NO IDEA what the soap smell like but people like it!
Today we were experimenting with a new soap that has honey, milk and olive oil in it. But we put too much olive oil in and you have to wash your hands WITH SOAP after you handle it! <_< Onto a new experiement!
Like the Colwich blog but would like it even more with photos!

Pax!
SMC

PS I'm all for OSB's. They're almost as nice as OP's! :-)