An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Sinned First? Adam Or Eve?

thessalonian

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1426429' date='Nov 28 2007, 05:59 PM']Hey, that sounds like Scott Hahn's theory. hehe
Lots of big dawg Catholics have criticized that interpretation so I wouldn't treat it as though it was dogma or something. I used to think it was cool but have come to reject it for a great many reasons. One of many "findings" and "discoveries" that Dr. Hahn puts forth in his popular literature which often become confused with definitive Catholic truth. I do admit that as a theory it involves some interesting points.[/quote]

I have read 3 of Scott Hahn's books, and if I remember correctly he talks about this in his book's about covenant love? I forget the title, but I found the interpretation, like you, as "cool" (something about the serpent saying to Adam surely you won't die, as if the serpent was threatening adam?) Is this what you are refering to, and if so can you elaborate on how it has been disputed?

Not that I take Dr. Hahn's book as dogma, but I must admit that I somewhat just accept it.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1426671' date='Nov 29 2007, 02:41 AM']0110111101101110011001010010000001101101
110000101101110[/quote]
I'm curious, is that an actual binary translation? :lol:

Edit: I just checked and it is. :lol_roll:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' post='1426798' date='Nov 29 2007, 04:06 PM']I'm curious, is that an actual binary translation? :lol:

Edit: I just checked and it is. :lol_roll:[/quote]
lol

I like the Japanese way the best:

1 人

It looks exactly like what it says, "one man." :cool:
I guess "one woman" would be that plus a skirt drawn on? j/k

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='rkwright' post='1426756' date='Nov 29 2007, 01:44 PM']I have read 3 of Scott Hahn's books, and if I remember correctly he talks about this in his book's about covenant love? I forget the title, but I found the interpretation, like you, as "cool" (something about the serpent saying to Adam surely you won't die, as if the serpent was threatening adam?) Is this what you are refering to, and if so can you elaborate on how it has been disputed?

Not that I take Dr. Hahn's book as dogma, but I must admit that I somewhat just accept it.[/quote]
Yeah, I believe [i]A Father Who Keeps His Promises[/i] was the first book to get into this. There was a fuller presentation on some tapes I once had that were the lectures from a college course that Hahn teaches on Genesis. I've heard that it is something of a tradition for students in this class to write a paper trying to refute Hahn's exegesis on this point. hehe

All I was trying to say is that it is an exegetical theory and not a teaching of the Church. One can hold to this theory without being a heretic, although Sungenis and Matatiks might disagree. lol

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1426671' date='Nov 29 2007, 01:41 AM'][i]heis anthropos[/i]

which means:

un hombre
one homme
ein mann
un uomo
1 人
один человек
1 남자
一個人
110000101101110[/quote]

How could you forget the Vulgate:

unum hóminem

:))

In Mark 10:8 we read, "the two shall become one flesh. So they are no longer two but one flesh." I don't think you can say which half of the whole sinned. If Eve had resisted the serpent's advances, it's possible that neither of them would have sinned. If Adam had been present as Eve's protector, it's possible that neither would have sinned. Each committed their part, and our fallen state can be traced back to one flesh as it were. To blame original sin on either or is to ignore Mark 10:9 -- "Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate."